Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Well, so far I'm pretty disappointed with the responses. I want to know what you guys think are the root causes of this unrest? Hint, it's not slavery, black on black crime, the police. My theory is that the 0.1% have gotten so much more than the rest of us and will continue to take and take and take. Opportunity for the majority of the country is harder to get and becoming that much more expensive to maintain. These college students, the ones that aren't progeny of the 0.1% that is, are saddled with debt for years after college. How are the supposed to buy a house, start a family, live in a nice neighborhood?
Most of them haven't even had a real job yet, so I don't know why they would find life so "hard."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Same thing applied in the 60's... We all survived it...
No, "we didn't". Ever hear of Kent State? May 4, 1970? My guess is not.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:52 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Too many conservatives don't like it that well educated young people will question the status quo
No way in hell is this young person well-educated. And she's paying over $45,000/year tuition (JUST tuition - books, not living expenses, etc.) for that "education" on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1y5g1O3-Y

Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
I employ quite a few young people at work. Some college grads, attending college, not interested in college. They appear as I did. Interested in themselves and enjoying life. Little self-awareness. Uninterested in what older folk think. The women are more liberal and the guys just do not care about politics. No one is a SJW.

No unrest.

Well seen from my little world at work.

As for what we see in the media. There always have been showboat types.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
....Older generations grew up in a time when your part-time job could pay your tuition, you graduated, and could buy an affordable little house with money from your entry-level job. That whole system is ancient history.
That's not really true.

Older people grew up during the depression, WW II, the fifties and the sixties.

There were no opportunities during the depression. During the war, people had to tighten their belts. The fifties were prosperous, but that didn't mean that a grocery clerk two years into his job could buy a house. During the sixties, middle class people commonly ate TV dinners and never heard of a latte or a mocha grande. They didn't have all the gadgets that even poor people have today. There have always been a few rich people and many more people who have had to struggle. But with all of that, Americans of all classes have lived better than the millions of immigrants who want to come here. It's all relative.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Get a new schtick. It's always "leftists" or "Communists" leading young people astray. 2015 ... 1968 ... 1961 ... 1932 ... Young people thinking for themselves and realizing that the world created by their parents' generation stinks is just too terrifying for Righties to contemplate, so they gotta find scapegoats.
Young people don't know enough to be able to think for themselves.

You have to have a decent amount of information to process before your "thinking" can amount to anything.

My generation suffered from being coddled and told that it was brilliant and "the promise of the future."

That was a con job, and we don't need to keep repeating it.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am 28...so not sure if I count. I find more issues are observable now than when I was 21. Taxes are too high, 25%-30% tax rate fedral/state, and looking to rent average rent in my state is $1,000/house is $200-$250K.

Very few jobs in my state always worry about unemployment again after being on it. Our state continues to make cuts to my job area working in, health care. Many job's are part time, which I feel is due to the rising cost of insurance hard to find a full time job.

Many of these are state issue's, but with some federal issue's having an effect. Want to return back to college can't believe how expensive public higher education has become: Averaging $25K for a 2 year degree and $50K for a 4 year degree.

On top of all that they just started fixing up roads in our state. However, our state wanted to repair grow state infrastructure, but fund's federally keep getting denied.

It's frustrating.
"but fund's federally keep getting denied" As it SHOULD be.

Why should I, and the rest of the taxpayers nationally, have to pony up because YOUR state failed in it's responsibilities to maintain YOUR roads.?

One day, hopefully, taxpayers will realize they CAN'T always go to Uncle SAM for a bailout.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
A student working 20 hrs a week at a minimum wage job for 52 weeks/yr earns $7,540 / yr before taxes. It doesn't add up.
So work forty hours a week and take half of a course load.

Or 30 hours a week and borrow a few thousand a year.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Community college....a state that's inexpensive to live in with plenty of jobs (e.g., Texas)...it can be done.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am 28...so not sure if I count. I find more issues are observable now than when I was 21. Taxes are too high, 25%-30% tax rate fedral/state, and looking to rent average rent in my state is $1,000/house is $200-$250K.

Very few jobs in my state always worry about unemployment again after being on it. Our state continues to make cuts to my job area working in, health care. Many job's are part time, which I feel is due to the rising cost of insurance hard to find a full time job.

Many of these are state issue's, but with some federal issue's having an effect. Want to return back to college can't believe how expensive public higher education has become: Averaging $25K for a 2 year degree and $50K for a 4 year degree.

On top of all that they just started fixing up roads in our state. However, our state wanted to repair grow state infrastructure, but fund's federally keep getting denied.

It's frustrating.
How much are you earning?

What city is that that a public BA/BS is 50k? Here in Miami it is just under $25000[FIU] which is reasonable for four or five years if working. What are you earning now?

Last edited by Felix C; 11-14-2015 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 06:17 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Right, and when wages stagnate while costs skyrocket, that becomes more difficult to do.

You can't blame young people on the macroeconomic trends that were set into motion by policy choices made during their childhoods. (I mean you could, but then you'd just be a jackass.)

When I was in college, the Republican-led state legislature kept cutting funding for universities because "Students can fund it with loans." Unfortunately, cutting taxes didn't create jobs, and requiring students to take out loans leaves them with debt which depresses the consumer economy for years to come.

You have to be wildly out-of-touch with reality to think that "working your way through college" is realistic today.

You can't even "work your way" through community college. The job market for high school graduates doesn't support the wages needed to pay tuition, much less tuition and housing and food.

An inexpensive, in-state public university costs $20,000 - $25,000 / year for tuition, fees, meals, and housing. That's about as cheap as a person can go, at a 4-year college. A community college student pays $15,000 - $20,000 / year for the same. Slightly cheaper but no "solution."

A student working 20 hrs a week at a minimum wage job for 52 weeks/yr earns $7,540 / yr before taxes. It doesn't add up.
"You have to be wildly out-of-touch with reality to think that "working your way through college" is realistic today.

You can't even "work your way" through community college."

B.S.
https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/p...ege-costs-faqs

"There is a wide range of prices, as the table below shows. But you should know that half of all full-time undergraduate students at public and private nonprofit four-year colleges attend institutions that charge tuition and fees of $11,550 or less. Type of College Average Published Yearly Tuition and Fees Public Two-Year College (in-district students) $3,347 Public Four-Year College (in-state students) $9,139 Public Four-Year College (out-of-state students) $22,958 Private Four-Year College $31,231

Last edited by Quick Enough; 11-14-2015 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies