Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
she should have been seated against a wall, or in a booth.
We were in a booth. Too bad we didn't realize that the booth seats were movable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
NO, I don't think restuarants should be able to CLAIM they have an all you can eat buffet and charge obese people MORE money.

Frankly I am astonished anyone would even suggest this.
The reason I ask is because there's no such law against such action - which occurs at a few Asian-owned All-You-Can-Eats. There's even this one place in Norfolk that actually charges by height (and before I get called a liar again: It's at the intersection of Military Highway and Pebble Ln across from Military Circle Mall.)

On Airplanes, if a person can't put down both armrests and get their seatbelt on comfortably and safely - they get charged with two seats. They do this for the safety and comfort of other passengers.

Quote:
here it is, distilled! Indeed they have no right to do this, look how miserably Prohibition failed. Moarality, (and food) cant be legislated.
I am still awaiting the answer from others - since they feel so strongly that this is a horrendous thing to ban obese from food.... isn't it also horrendous to ban smoking? The big question derived from this:

What should the government be able to regulate and what should they keep their noses out of? AND, why do people side with bans that regulate how a person can damage their body... but as soon as it's a ban against their lifestyle (and body size) everyone cries about how "Obesity is the last frontier for discrimination" as one person put it?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Three legislators want to make it illegal for restaurants to serve obese customers in Mississippi.

Bill would make it illegal to feed the obese - On Deadline - USATODAY.com (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/02/bill-would-make.html - broken link)
I heard on the news that the legislators who wrote this law knew it wouldn't pass from the start. They said they only proposed it to "raise awareness".

On a side note, anybody seen the Burger King commercials lately where they say the whopper has been discontinued? Those people get pissed. LOL

I want my whopper, NOW!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I am still awaiting the answer from others - since they feel so strongly that this is a horrendous thing to ban obese from food.... isn't it also horrendous to ban smoking? The big question derived from this:

What should the government be able to regulate and what should they keep their noses out of? AND, why do people side with bans that regulate how a person can damage their body... but as soon as it's a ban against their lifestyle (and body size) everyone cries about how "Obesity is the last frontier for discrimination" as one person put it?
Actually, it was me that said; obesity-the last condoned prejudice.
What you just posted is the whole thing I have been driving at, albeit from an oblique angle.
Just imagine what it would be like with a black market in tobacco and banned foodstuffs.
Once the government starts that, its a slippery slope, just use your imagination...... scary!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Kuharai;2717858]INo, actually - on this I was not kidding or being sarcastic. I just happened to witness a woman who got shoved into her table by the obese person behind her - which set off some genetic problem she had. She went into anaphylactic shock.
And for that we need govt intervention with our lives?

God help us when they stoop to that level of ruling us.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And for that we need govt intervention with our lives?

God help us when they stoop to that level of ruling us.
And what of the big Anti-Peanut hype concerning airlines? There was certain legislature getting voted on to ban peanut products from airlines from the off chance that somebody would be allergic..

Most airlines that I've been on don't even have peanuts anymore..

Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
dont even get started on that, I have long legs!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
And what of the big Anti-Peanut hype concerning airlines? There was certain legislature getting voted on to ban peanut products from airlines from the off chance that somebody would be allergic..

Most airlines that I've been on don't even have peanuts anymore..
Because when you're a few miles up into the air and go into anaphylactic shock from a peanut, you have 10 minutes to get to the hospital even with an epi. Not much of a chance of that on a plane... I can't even get food on a plane.. they don't carry gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, vegan meals.

I don't think anyone will die from my fat ass next to them. But people feel the need to criticize everything I put in my mouth or my shopping cart. I have several chronic conditions, not to mention genetic disposition, that make me 20 years old, 5'5, and 200 pounds. I don't remember the last time I ate fast food and I don't eat most carbs, meat, or sugar. It's not my fault that my body WILL NOT let my lose weight but apparently this is all too problematic for those around me.

It wouldn't be OK to harass me because I am female, because I'm Jewish, or because of any other reason. However, no one seems to feel any shame about judging my weight.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I think the populace would be better served if our elected nannies would make it against the law to smell bad or fart in public.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
What about banning peope who are exceedingly UGLY, the kind of people that are so ugly they cause people like me indigestion when we are out eating.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because when you're a few miles up into the air and go into anaphylactic shock from a peanut, you have 10 minutes to get to the hospital even with an epi. Not much of a chance of that on a plane... I can't even get food on a plane.. they don't carry gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, vegan meals.

I don't think anyone will die from my fat ass next to them. But people feel the need to criticize everything I put in my mouth or my shopping cart. I have several chronic conditions, not to mention genetic disposition, that make me 20 years old, 5'5, and 200 pounds. I don't remember the last time I ate fast food and I don't eat most carbs, meat, or sugar. It's not my fault that my body WILL NOT let my lose weight but apparently this is all too problematic for those around me.

It wouldn't be OK to harass me because I am female, because I'm Jewish, or because of any other reason. However, no one seems to feel any shame about judging my weight.
Especially if you happen to be a woman. I have male friends who are always saying, "well, she's nice, but she's kind of chubby". I tell them that most EVERYONE in the U.S. is "chubby"!

Not to mention the fact that these guys are not movie stars, either! But, of course, some men think they're God's gift to women, and deserve a model or movie star. Too bad they're so shallow such that any decent woman would reject them, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies