Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM

756 posts, read 424,764 times

Advertisements

If you support taxing the 1% because of inequality...
Since you live in one of the richest countries in the world and it's estimated that the average American family has more than 50x the income of the world's poorest, we really are the GLOBAL 1%.

So should we tax YOU at higher rate to make up this inequality too?
http://foreignpolicy.com/2012/02/27/...the-1-percent/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:53 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
If you support taxing the 1% because of inequality...
Since you live in one of the richest countries in the world and it's estimated that the average American family has more than 50x the income of the world's poorest, we really are the GLOBAL 1%.

So should we tax YOU at higher rate to make up this inequality too?
We’re All the 1 Percent | Foreign Policy
I think that most people understand that Americans already pay higher taxes. We feed the world, defend the world, and lead the world in innovation.

I think it's fairly obvious that people on both sides of the issue are pretty consistent.

Progressives tend to support these things, and feel like it's a responsibility of being among the fortunate to help out those who need it. Some go over the top.

Non-progressives tend to say "tough luck" if you weren't born into a fortunate situation, I've got mine, if you want yours go out and earn it. Some go over the top.

IMO: If you take off the labels and the partisan politics, both of these positions have some amount of truth and accuracy, IF YOU DON'T GO OVER THE TOP. The reality is if you make it too easy, people will take advantage of the system, and the reality is that if you are too stingy, not only will people suffer needlessly, but the reality is that the economy can't sustain. The 1% need to give enough to the rest of the people that they can contribute to their continued prosperity by being educated, productive, and able to afford whatever it is they are selling to become rich. The poor need to have enough fear of starving to not take everything for granted.

The biggest crime is people painting this issue with only one stroke.

So, whether you are talking about 1%er people or 1%er nations, I think moderation is the key, and that if it's found, more people will prosper for longer.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
we already provide more foreign aid than any other nation. so your post in moot.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
No, it's a good argument. It's about the principle - if you have significantly more money than someone else, is it okay for others to take it by force and give it to those with less? Foreign aid is irrelevant to that.

Even some of the poorest Americans are wealthy compared to less developed areas of the world. To be consistent, you have to support redistribution for all humans.

People want to play that card until it lowers their own standard of living. Then they rationalize their inconsistency.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Leeches don't pay for anything and they certainly wouldn't pay taxes.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM

266 posts, read 281,479 times
I'm a 1% (not a .01%) and don't have a problem with paying a reasonable higher rate of taxes. Which I currently do. I don't hide funds offshore or look for crazy loop holes with the IRS. I also give monthly to food banks, veterans funds and others charities. I believe that this government should take care of Americans first and let the rest of the world - wait - until that's done.

But to believe that a total redistribution of wealth is a pipe dream. There is a percentage of Americans that are going to be poor at the end a month no matter how money you give them. Not everyone is fit for college or should be in college. The truth is that we are not all equal and will never be. Those that have the ability, drive, desire or whatever you want to call it, shouldn't have their successes confiscated solely to make others just feel good.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:46 PM

174 posts, read 124,523 times
Oh, yes another defender of the rich who likely isn't close to being wealthy. If you don't think healthcare and education are wise investments, that's sad. If you want to throw out your whacked out analogy without realizing some people get rich by paying foreigners 15 cents an hour, then you aren't that smart.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
I'm a 1% (not a .01%) and don't have a problem with paying a reasonable higher rate of taxes. Which I currently do. I don't hide funds offshore or look for crazy loop holes with the IRS. I also give monthly to food banks, veterans funds and others charities. I believe that this government should take care of Americans first and let the rest of the world - wait - until that's done.

But to believe that a total redistribution of wealth is a pipe dream. There is a percentage of Americans that are going to be poor at the end a month no matter how money you give them. Not everyone is fit for college or should be in college. The truth is that we are not all equal and will never be. Those that have the ability, drive, desire or whatever you want to call it, shouldn't have their successes confiscated solely to make others just feel good.
I do.

Its my damn money and no redistribution of wealth supporter will make me part with it.

Screw them.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
Oh, yes another defender of the rich who likely isn't close to being wealthy. If you don't think healthcare and education are wise investments, that's sad. If you want to throw out your whacked out analogy without realizing some people get rich by paying foreigners 15 cents an hour, then you aren't that smart.
If it's a wise investment, why are so many people against investing in their own education?

Thousands upon thousand of people every year work their way through college because they believe it's worth the investment.

When I was in school, every person I knew who was paying their own way was an extremely serious student. Practically every student I knew who didn't take school seriously were the ones whose parents were paying for everything. If we start giving away college, we'll end up with a whole bunch of college students wasting tax money.

If you won't invest in your own future, don't expect me to volunteer to do if for you.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:05 PM

756 posts, read 424,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post

It's more about hypocrisy than defending the rich.
Those who want to tax the wealthy or redistribute wealth should realize that globally, WE are the 1% and WE got there by doing some very unfair things as well.

So if you want to villify the 1% for taking advantage of conditions derived from unfair practices, you should examine your own privileges and wealth compared to others in the world which is the result of unfair practices as well.

The same country that wrote the laws and enacted the polices that benefit the 1% also enacted polices that made our middle class effectively the "1%" compared to 3rd world countries.

So if you think their taxes should be raised to make up the difference, yours should be as well!
It's not so much defending the rich as it is pointing our liberal hypocrisy.

Kinda like the Occupy Wall Street crowd, with their Chinese made iPhones and sweatshop made designer clothes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies