Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:08 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Advertisements

There some things about slavery you have to keep in mind. First, that time in history was a brutal one. Blacks came initially to North America as indentured servants, just like many whites. They earned their freedom after completing the agreed to servitude. They married, even interracially, bought property and voted. As an indentured servant it was not unusual to be beaten, black or white. Also the initial push for free labor was not africans but native americans. they knew the territory much better than the anglo invaders and were able to disappear into the land. Other anglos had governments that protected them from slavery, though they allowed for them to be indentured servants. It then fell on africans who had no nation to protect them and couldn't just disappear (some did with native americans and as soon as the money came in they gave black folks the boot). As with every campaign in this country propaganda was used to dehumanize africans and make it easier to go along with the shameful way they were treated.

That propaganda included twisting the bible to justify their treatments of africans. The use of propaganda made it ok to roll back rights africans had: interracial marriage, the right to buy property, go to school, and to vote. It is the propaganda that allows "good" people to do enormously evil things. If you've never taken a stroll through the WWII museum in new orleans you should do so. The depictions of asians are some of the most vile and racist things I have ever seen. It was necessary though if they were going to get good people to be willing to hate and kill another human being. That made it ok to imprison thousands of innocent japanese on Angel Island during the war. The seeds that the use of propaganda plants are difficult to get rid of though. Once you tell the lie, get people to believe their neighbors aren't really people that God created just like them, they spout and teach that nonsense to the next generation. Now the propaganda gun is pointed at muslims (their all extremist, islam is a violent religion, etc... ). Those same people won't say violent christian extremist about people like the Colorado Springs Shooter who clearly did it because his Christian principles were violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Okey dokey.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Black History. 1605-1965. Nothing happened before that. Certainly nothing has happened after that.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:55 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Thanks for the info

Old 11-30-2015, 01:14 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
There some things about slavery you have to keep in mind. First, that time in history was a brutal one. Blacks came initially to North America as indentured servants, just like many whites. They earned their freedom after completing the agreed to servitude. They married, even interracially, bought property and voted. As an indentured servant it was not unusual to be beaten, black or white. Also the initial push for free labor was not africans but native americans. they knew the territory much better than the anglo invaders and were able to disappear into the land. Other anglos had governments that protected them from slavery, though they allowed for them to be indentured servants. It then fell on africans who had no nation to protect them and couldn't just disappear (some did with native americans and as soon as the money came in they gave black folks the boot). As with every campaign in this country propaganda was used to dehumanize africans and make it easier to go along with the shameful way they were treated.

That propaganda included twisting the bible to justify their treatments of africans. The use of propaganda made it ok to roll back rights africans had: interracial marriage, the right to buy property, go to school, and to vote. It is the propaganda that allows "good" people to do enormously evil things. If you've never taken a stroll through the WWII museum in new orleans you should do so. The depictions of asians are some of the most vile and racist things I have ever seen. It was necessary though if they were going to get good people to be willing to hate and kill another human being. That made it ok to imprison thousands of innocent japanese on Angel Island during the war. The seeds that the use of propaganda plants are difficult to get rid of though. Once you tell the lie, get people to believe their neighbors aren't really people that God created just like them, they spout and teach that nonsense to the next generation. Now the propaganda gun is pointed at muslims (their all extremist, islam is a violent religion, etc... ). Those same people won't say violent christian extremist about people like the Colorado Springs Shooter who clearly did it because his Christian principles were violated.
The majority of people, myself included, understand dwelling on the past events, mistakes and failures is not unhealthy. The past can hold you back in life, hurt your present and ruin your future.

My brother's best friend in Marine Corps once said that he viewed his ancestors as prisoner of war. They were black slaves, but they were prisoners of war. They were warriors, fighters, and survivors. He never viewed them as true slaves. I think this is a rather refreshing and interesting view. Maybe this is one of the reasons why this guy never holds so much anger and resentment. He loves people from all races because he truly understands humanity, kindness, and tolerance.

In tern of internment camp, well, you cannot judge history using perfect 20/20 hindsight. Better just move on from it.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Yeah,heard something about that, happened a long time ago. Way before my folks arrived.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The majority of people, myself included, understand dwelling on the past events, mistakes and failures is not unhealthy. The past can hold you back in life, hurt your present and ruin your future.

My brother's best friend in Marine Corps once said that he viewed his ancestors as prisoner of war. They were black slaves, but they were prisoners of war. They were warriors, fighters, and survivors. He never viewed them as true slaves. I think this is a rather refreshing and interesting view. Maybe this is one of the reasons why this guy never holds so much anger and resentment. He loves people from all races because he truly understands humanity, kindness, and tolerance.

In tern of internment camp, well, you cannot judge history using perfect 20/20 hindsight. Better just move on from it.
Your past is what you make of it. As you said, it can hurt you if you allow it to. Dwelling on the past is unhealthy, though most can't help doing it.

Being that I have French/Italian, Hispanic, black, and predominantly Slavic (slave) roots (yes, I'm a total mutt)... my ancestral past would be brutal to dwell on.

To the OP

Nobody is really listening. Most have their conception of history set in stone. If you point out that there were thousands of black slave owners in the US the left will derail and deflect. You might even be labelled a racist. On the other hand, if you point out to the right that many many many southern Dem's, of purely racist persuasion, became Republicans, you'll be labelled a ******* and again the truth falls on deaf ears.

Being a Libertarian... I'm a RWNJ******* and proud of it!

Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
So the main theme regarding this rant is what?

That you can't change the past?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,528 times
Blacks sold other blacks to whites in Africa. Our own people sold each other out. As far as the Asians...I'm sorry?

Is this a pro-Islam thread cleverly disguised or something? I'm confused. The problem with comparing Asians and "Africans" to Muslims is that "MUSLIM" ISN'T AN ETHNICITY.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
There some things about slavery you have to keep in mind. First, that time in history was a brutal one. Blacks came initially to North America as indentured servants, just like many whites. They earned their freedom after completing the agreed to servitude.
I don't recall blacks "agreeing" to servitude in early America, nor earning their freedom afterwards. You're going to have to refresh my memory about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies