Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM

39,164 posts, read 27,558,641 times

Advertisements

I don't want to be called a racist or hateful. But I would have to say, yes and no depends on the situation.

I would recommend a book called War, Guilt, and world politics after WW2 by Thomas U Berger

World politics is simply not black and white. Under certain circumstances, a nation should apologize, sometimes, apologize is simply not necessary. Sounds harsh, but the above book offers some good explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Israeli mentality of colonialism and apartheid applied to South Americans !!
Like I said: NOT Spain's problem so long as LatAm doesn't go "Islamist" level terrorism on the rest of the world. Then it WILL be game ON and Spain WILL have a lot of help in cleaning house.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 PM

84 posts, read 145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The Spaniards have caused irreversible damage to the indigenous peoples of Mexico, Caribbean, as well as the Central and South Americas. They stole their gold, caused a bloodbath, wiped out native languages, and destroyed one of the biggest and most important cities in the Western Hemisphere. Shouldn't the Spanish leaders apologize for all the atrocities of the 16th century?
No, because they were not alive in the 16th century. Today, according to Ancestry.com, for people native to the Iberian Peninsula region, half of the people have an ethnicity estimate at, or above 51%, and half have an estimate below 51%. They have a collection of 125 people who trace back to early Spain.

Last edited by PDriven; 11-14-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 01:35 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,924,206 times
Quote:
Spain's form of colonialism was easily the worst out of all countries, along with Belgium. The French in many cases worked alongside the indigenous people, while the British at least made attempts at compromises. Spain didn't even have the courtesy of creating a treaty, they just raped and pillaged everything
Yes, unless the Aztecs were cutting out the still beating hearts of children atop their pyramids for human sacrifice they were a loving and peaceful peoples.

Like the noble American Indian who never made war against neighboring tribes until the dirty white man showed up!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Not Spain's problem. Too, maybe the Aztecs of 2015 need to apologize for what happened 500 years back against other Indian groups in what's now Mexico. Ain't gonna happen since today's people had nothing to do with what came down back in the day.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,924,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not Spain's problem. Too, maybe the Aztecs of 2015 need to apologize for what happened 500 years back against other Indian groups in what's now Mexico. Ain't gonna happen since today's people had nothing to do with what came down back in the day.
Exactly!

Why on earth don't the Pawnee apologize to the Sioux and the Sioux apologize to the Pawnee? Everyone knows before the evil white men conflicts never arose between the magnificent and noble American Indians!

Conflict Among the Tribes

The noble American Indian would never wage war on fellow noble American Indians!

The Massacre Canyon Battle took place on August 5, 1873, in Hitchcock County, Nebraska. It was one of the last battles between the Pawnee and the Sioux and the last large-scale battle between Native American tribes in the area of the present-day United States of America.[2] The battle occurred when a combined Oglala/Brulé Sioux war party of over 1000 warriors attacked a party of Pawnee on their summer buffalo hunt. According to Indian agent John W. Williamson, who accompanied the hunting party, "On the 2d day of July, 1873, the Indians, to the number of 700, left Genoa for the hunting grounds. Of this number 350 were men, the balance women and children."

It's history, it happened and I am not about to apologize for any of it!

This garbage of playing victim has gotten completely out of hand.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly!

Why on earth don't the Pawnee apologize to the Sioux and the Sioux apologize to the Pawnee? Everyone knows before the evil white men conflicts never arose between the magnificent and noble American Indians!

Conflict Among the Tribes

The noble American Indian would never wage war on fellow noble American Indians!

The Massacre Canyon Battle took place on August 5, 1873, in Hitchcock County, Nebraska. It was one of the last battles between the Pawnee and the Sioux and the last large-scale battle between Native American tribes in the area of the present-day United States of America.[2] The battle occurred when a combined Oglala/Brulé Sioux war party of over 1000 warriors attacked a party of Pawnee on their summer buffalo hunt. According to Indian agent John W. Williamson, who accompanied the hunting party, "On the 2d day of July, 1873, the Indians, to the number of 700, left Genoa for the hunting grounds. Of this number 350 were men, the balance women and children."

It's history, it happened and I am not about to apologize for any of it!

This garbage of playing victim has gotten completely out of hand.
Agreed. Word was the Pawnee played for keeps. Another group of roughnecks were the Apache, even Mexico hated them.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,829,127 times
Quote:
The Spaniards have caused irreversible damage to the indigenous peoples of Mexico, Caribbean, as well as the Central and South Americas. They stole their gold, caused a bloodbath, wiped out native languages, and destroyed one of the biggest and most important cities in the Western Hemisphere. Shouldn't the Spanish leaders apologize for all the atrocities of the 16th century?
Good luck trying to find a Spaniard to apologize. If you do, they are not real Spaniards. How do I know? My family is Spanish. New World Indians savages and so treated. Much how the Spaniards treated the Muslims they were battling for centuries in the Med. You know Spain being one of the bulwarks against Muslim encroachment in the Mediterranean.

You have to realize in earlier generations the soft faggy approach so endeared by apologists today is alien to other cultures and respect or fear of strength is what they understand. Still relevant today if you have ever done business in Latin America.

Stop trying to feminize men.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-15-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 05:03 AM

570 posts, read 604,275 times
Warszawa.-
I would like to know why you created this thread for attacking the spain of the 400 years ago
I think those spanish deserve an explanation of you
Of what country you are ?
I do bet that their country in has in their eye several beams of iron before seeking a straw in the eyes
of others countries.
If you respond to this post I will try go you will explain a more objective idea of history of Spain.
And you also to you remind he the more darkest parts of history of his country that seems it needs.
We must hearing both sides on study story before you condemn to a country. -

Old 12-18-2016, 11:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,239,689 times
I worked in Peru and know there is still great sensitivity toward Spain. I currently work with a colleague from Columbia so I asked him his thoughts. He said not only does Spain need to apologize, they need to pay for the gold and silver they took as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies