Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM

58,493 posts, read 26,813,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
The states with most liberal gun laws generally have the most guns deaths. Note that the states with worst record are decidedly Red and that Blues states are noticeably much better.
the devil is ALWAYS in the details.

How many of those "deaths' are suicides, etc.?

WITHOUT better explanation of HOW the deaths occurred, your stats are meaningless.

The REAL facts would be much clearer IF we had them by city.

Illinois, (Chicago), (Michigan, (Detroit) and Wash. DC are NOT on your "worst" list, yet THEY have the MOST MURDERS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 AM

58,493 posts, read 26,813,714 times
Quote:
What is the difference in the socioeconomic factors between Tennessee and Iowa that produce double the murder rate in TN?
I see you have a reading problem.

The chart where you got your "info" from does NOT say "murder" as claim.

It says "deaths". There is a HUGE difference.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
44 murders a day in a nation of 310 million people. The average person has little to worry about. I would personally have more to be concerned about. By age, gender and race, I would be far more likely to be a murder victim.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
The states with most liberal gun laws generally have the most guns deaths. Note that the states with worst record are decidedly Red and that Blues states are noticeably much better.
LOL what I noted from my perspective is that Texas doesn't show up on either list - not among the "best" and not among the "worst" - and yet so many people think of Texans as gun toting, from the hip shooting, wild wild West types.

Another "gun friendly" state that doesn't show up on the "worst" list is Florida. I just think that's interesting.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-18-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL what I noted from my perspective is that Texas doesn't show up on either list - not among the "best" and not among the "worst" - and yet so many people think of Texans as gun toting, from the hip shooting, wild wild West types.
And Texas has seen as massive drop in its murder rate over the last 20 years.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,977,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
44 murders a day in a nation of 310 million people. The average person has little to worry about. I would personally have more to be concerned about. By age, gender and race, I would be far more likely to be a murder victim.

Murder by race from the CDC 2013 stats.

Total murders in the U.S. by firearms--- 11,208
Total number of White ---- 4,482 this includes both male and female
Total number of Black----- 6,442 includes both male and female

Those shot by police;

Black ----- 147 includes both sexes
White -----352 includes both sexes

Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And Texas has seen as massive drop in its murder rate over the last 20 years.
The murder rate nation wide has been dropping significantly over the past decades in fact.

After reaching an all time high of 9.8 per 100,000 in 1974, the murder rate in the US has dropped to 4.5 - lower than it was in 1950.

In fact, the following states have a homocide rate lower than the national average (which is already pretty low):

California
Texas
Virginia
Ohio
W VA
New Jersey
Kentucky
Montana
Kansas
New York
North Dakota
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Colorado
Wyoming
Washington
Connecticut
Rhode Island

South Dakota
Utah
Idaho
Massachusetts
Oregon
Iowa
Hawaii
Maine
Minnesota
Vermont
New Hampshire[/color][/color]

So apparently lots of factors come into play - not just political affiliation.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,042,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I was just reading an article about Geraldo Rivera and his daughter being in France during the attack. While this is tragic, I realize that we have a lot of murders in the US that no one is talking about. As it turns out, we have an average of 44 murders per day: How many people are murdered every day in the United States? yet no seems as upset about that or is demanding that something be done, yes, they talk but no real action.

I found these articles which supports my thoughts on the whole thing: Ted Kennedy's Illegals Have Killed Many More Americans Than ISIS and Family Security Matters

So what is the problem. Is it not "pc" to protect your "own" anymore? We send our soldiers to protect and die for other countries, countries who have their own populations who should be defending themselves or be overtaken since we did that to the American Indians and no one cried "foul", and our own streets aren't even safe and some are extremely dangerous. We tuck away illegals in sanctuary cities and our own POTUS won't allow our laws to be enforced.

This just seems upside down to me. Why don't the lives of our own citizens matter? We have gangs that dominant some areas so why aren't our military forces deployed to those areas? "To protect against all enemies, both foreign and domestic."

So few? I thought it was much more.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,856,328 times
I say cars are far more dangerous, BAN CARS!:
"The United States is on track to have its deadliest traffic year since 2007, the National Safety Council says, with nearly 19,000 people killed as a result of motor vehicle accidents between January and June—a 14 percent increase over the same period last year. The number of injuries and the costs associated with traffic accidents also rose significantly, according to estimates from NSC’s"
http://www.newsweek.com/us-traffic-d...ts-2015-363602

Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,772,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I say cars are far more dangerous, BAN CARS!:
"The United States is on track to have its deadliest traffic year since 2007, the National Safety Council says, with nearly 19,000 people killed as a result of motor vehicle accidents between January and June—a 14 percent increase over the same period last year. The number of injuries and the costs associated with traffic accidents also rose significantly, according to estimates from NSC’s"
http://www.newsweek.com/us-traffic-d...ts-2015-363602
You think cars are dangerous, doctors are multiple times more dangerous than cars and guns.

Even pools kill multiples times more children than guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies