Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Probably the same thing when Democrats used to say it.
yep.

no endless shrieks of 'racism!!!!' when Obama and biden wanted to 'take back America.' how strange.

'It's time to take back America': Barack Obama and Joe Biden use Labor Day to fire up Democrats ahead of November's elections | Daily Mail Online

Obama Speech - Take Back America - Complete Text

Old 11-16-2015, 11:08 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't get the "anti-political correctness" thing. Does that mean that people would prefer to be as offensive as possible?
No, I think it means more that people are tired of being told "what to think" by politicizing and redefining words and ridiculing and bullying those who don't follow the PC crowd.

Today, almost every word in the English language (sorry, was that a "microagression towards non-English speaking people?) is offensive in some way to someone, somewhere.

Words that never had the connotation that they have because of the thin skin of this generation has become the basis for people to be fired, bullied into resignation or worse.

Also, the rise of PC has resulted in the decline of common sense and reason. A 4th grader gets suspended for "sexual harassment" for sending a love note to a girl he likes in class. A child is 9 years old in 4th grade!!! Kids get suspended for "finger guns" and biting a pop-tart into the shape of Idaho, or a gun, depending on how gunphobic you are. A plane is subverted and landed because, once again, those frightening "finger pistols" somehow made it through the TSA.

If you say the word "thug" to me, it does not immediately conjure up a minority, it conjures up Union Thugs or the wannabe gangsters on the Sopranos.

If you use the phrase "***** in the Armor," I understand that to be a reference to medieval times when a jouster is killed because a "***** in his armor" allowed the spear to penetrate his protection and injure or kill him. Thus, using the phrase means that the noun of the sentence is a weakness to the other noun in the sentence.

Instead of realizing that fact, everything now is a "Dog whistle" or "code word" and this nation has become Minority Report and destroying people for "Thought Crimes" and are based on what the person hearing the word or statement, projections onto the meaning, regardless of the intent of the speaker.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:13 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
No, I think it means more that people are tired of being told "what to think" by politicizing and redefining words and ridiculing and bullying those who don't follow the PC crowd.

Today, almost every word in the English language (sorry, was that a "microagression towards non-English speaking people?) is offensive in some way to someone, somewhere.

Words that never had the connotation that they have because of the thin skin of this generation has become the basis for people to be fired, bullied into resignation or worse.

Also, the rise of PC has resulted in the decline of common sense and reason. A 4th grader gets suspended for "sexual harassment" for sending a love note to a girl he likes in class. A child is 9 years old in 4th grade!!! Kids get suspended for "finger guns" and biting a pop-tart into the shape of Idaho, or a gun, depending on how gunphobic you are. A plane is subverted and landed because, once again, those frightening "finger pistols" somehow made it through the TSA.

If you say the word "thug" to me, it does not immediately conjure up a minority, it conjures up Union Thugs or the wannabe gangsters on the Sopranos.

If you use the phrase "***** in the Armor," I understand that to be a reference to medieval times when a jouster is killed because a "***** in his armor" allowed the spear to penetrate his protection and injure or kill him. Thus, using the phrase means that the noun of the sentence is a weakness to the other noun in the sentence.

Instead of realizing that fact, everything now is a "Dog whistle" or "code word" and this nation has become Minority Report and destroying people for "Thought Crimes" and are based on what the person hearing the word or statement, projections onto the meaning, regardless of the intent of the speaker.
very well stated. +1.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
So are you anti-Citizens United? How do you handle systemic racism? What's your idea of an activist judge? One who thinks gays shouldn't be mistreated? And what if someone doesn't believe in God?

I support the concept of removing influence by any special interest groups over the election process. Citizens United did not include Unions, PACS, Foundations, etc., so it was not Constitutional. If all organizations that are created solely for the purpose, or use funds from their members to influence elections, I would whole heartedly support that legislation!

Activist judges are ones who act outside the scope of their constitutionally determined role. It doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not.

The wording of the Declaration of Independence was done specifically to impart the belief that our RIGHTS are not endowed by governments or other human beings, but by a higher authority (our Creator), because our founders understood that any rights that are given by the government are subject to being taken away by government.

Stop focusing on what offends you (God) and realize that the meaning of that phrase is the difference between liberty and tyranny!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I support the concept of removing influence by any special interest groups over the election process. Citizens United did not include Unions, PACS, Foundations, etc., so it was not Constitutional. If all organizations that are created solely for the purpose, or use funds from their members to influence elections, I would whole heartedly support that legislation!

Activist judges are ones who act outside the scope of their constitutionally determined role. It doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not.

The wording of the Declaration of Independence was done specifically to impart the belief that our RIGHTS are not endowed by governments or other human beings, but by a higher authority (our Creator), because our founders understood that any rights that are given by the government are subject to being taken away by government.

Stop focusing on what offends you (God) and realize that the meaning of that phrase is the difference between liberty and tyranny!

The current robes are exactly as you describe. They are legislating from the bench. How did Obamacare make it past them? They reinterpreted it, something they can't do as only congress can legislate.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Often times, I hear conservatives say, "we're taking our country back." What the hell does this exactly mean?
The same thing liberals meant when they said the same thing in 2008.

Oh, I'm sorry, was this a trick question?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 PM

594 posts, read 346,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Often times, I hear conservatives say, "we're taking our country back." What the hell does this exactly mean?
Taking it back from the corrupt estblishment politicians in both political parties, and return it to the people. These politicians and bureaucrats in our federal government no longer represent the people, they no longer support the rights and freedoms within the Constitution, they represent the too big to fail banksters, K street lobbyists, special interest money, and their corporate and political cronies.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-16-2015 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: off topic/not helpful

Old 11-16-2015, 12:46 PM

594 posts, read 346,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't get the "anti-political correctness" thing. Does that mean that people would prefer to be as offensive as possible?
You are referring to politness in public discourse, but that is not what politcal correctness is.

Political correctness is the process where a few people decide that they will impose the meanings of words or phrases with multiple definitions and meanings, by deciding the most foul, meanest definition is the only possible one. It also essetially bans an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on the issues and topics, if the political correct Nazis have decided that only one view is proper. Then savaging anyone who dares use those words or phrases, or tries to present a different view on the issues.

Political correctness is a way to silence free speech. For example, if I try to start a discussion about immigration, then I'm called a racist to shut down the discussion.

If I try to discuss abortion, I'm called a misogynist, who hates women.

If I want to disagree with the policies of Obama, I'm called a racist, who hates blacks..

If I want to take my country back from these crony capitaists, pseudo-socialsts and fascists, I'm called a racist because Obama is black, don't you know.

Political correctness wnats to end discussions, stop anyone from discussing issues unless they are agreeing with the views of the left.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:43 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
You are referring to politness in public discourse, but that is not what politcal correctness is.

Political correctness is the process where a few people decide that they will impose the meanings of words or phrases with multiple definitions and meanings, by deciding the most foul, meanest definition is the only possible one. It also essetially bans an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on the issues and topics, if the political correct Nazis have decided that only one view is proper. Then savaging anyone who dares use those words or phrases, or tries to present a different view on the issues.

Political correctness is a way to silence free speech. For example, if I try to start a discussion about immigration, then I'm called a racist to shut down the discussion.

If I try to discuss abortion, I'm called a misogynist, who hates women.

If I want to disagree with the policies of Obama, I'm called a racist, who hates blacks..

If I want to take my country back from these crony capitaists, pseudo-socialsts and fascists, I'm called a racist because Obama is black, don't you know.

Political correctness wnats to end discussions, stop anyone from discussing issues unless they are agreeing with the views of the left.
Exactly! Just one other thing if you oppose a "traditional" marriage for gays but have no problem with a civil union for them you are called an anti-gay hating homophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies