Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Every industrialized country in the world can do it
They tax their middle class at their highest marginal income tax rate, and add a 20-25% VAT on top of that to fund it. Will you agree to be taxed so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They tax their middle class at their highest marginal income tax rate, and add a 20-25% VAT on top of that to fund it. Will you agree to be taxed so?
If the taxes are cheaper than what I pay for insurance now, absolutely. But, I'm really good at math.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:16 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
That would be pathetic, if it were true.

The site displays multiple plan options, it doesn't just assign you a plan. Maybe you should revisit it.
The best plan was still unaffordable. And yes we did revisit it and yes, it's still ridiculous. It's insulting. For my wife, $680 a month with a whole $19 a month subsidy. That's more than our mortgage and car payments put together!

Since you are such an expert on everybody's situation, maybe you should hire yourself out as a bammycare broker. Obviously none of the rest of the world is competent to navigate the site and come up with acceptable results.

The government is getting great work from your trollhood though, keep up the good work!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Because conservatives insisted on it (including conservative Democrats)
Obamacare was an all Dem vote. NO Rs voted for it. Dems, and Dems ALONE, are solely responsible for the sh*tty insurance we have now known as Obamacare.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The best plan was still unaffordable. And yes we did revisit it and yes, it's still ridiculous. It's insulting. For my wife, $680 a month with a whole $19 a month subsidy. That's more than our mortgage and car payments put together!

Since you are such an expert on everybody's situation, maybe you should hire yourself out as a bammycare broker. Obviously none of the rest of the world is competent to navigate the site and come up with acceptable results.

The government is getting great work from your trollhood though, keep up the good work!
Decent individual plans pre-ACA were often much more expensive than 10% of most people's incomes, especially if you used it. I mean, you're paying for a mortgage, a car and health insurance for less than 20% of your income. How is that not affordable? What would you consider affordable, $50/month?

Edit: If you want to send me a zip code, family member count, and doctor names, I'm happy to look at it for you.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
If the taxes are cheaper than what I pay for insurance now, absolutely. But, I'm really good at math.
Great! Get all the other Dems/liberals to agree to tax the middle class at the highest marginal tax rate and add a 20-25% VAT on top of that, and it'll all be good!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Great! Get all the other Dems/liberals to agree to tax the middle class at the highest marginal tax rate and add a 20-25% VAT on top of that, and it'll all be good!
France has government services besides health care, you know.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
The exchange site was the entity that misinformed us then, I wonder what else it may have been wrong about? For the money they spent on it they surely could have done better.
You are the misinformed one here, and spreading more misinformation post by post.
See, we actually went to the exchange site and put in our income and household and that's what we got. The plan we were offered was well above the 10% mentioned. .
Did you calculate your AGI correctly? You can calculate the policy cost here, why not put in the numbers and tell us what you came up with? Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Please report back to us with some real numbers because if you were offered a subsidy that would have reduced your required contribution to under the federal limit. The 9.66% max contribution is calculated by using the second lowest priced Silver plan in your area

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
France has government services besides health care, you know.
So does the U.S. ...unemployment, disability, food stamps, welfare, housing assistance, utility bill assistance, etc., etc...

Old 11-21-2015, 11:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
You are right! Remember when Obama created Medicaid, Welfare and Food Stamps? Oh wait...

But here is the disconnect. We know that modern Republicans are severely conservative. Political scientists who use Congressional votes to measure such things find that the current G.O.P. majority is the most conservative since 1879, which is as far back as their estimates go.

Thus, you conservatives would be surprised to learn, from this article, that the regions of America most hooked on, as Rick Santorum calls it, the narcotic of government dependency, are precisely the regions electing those severe conservatives. Wasn't Red America supposed to be the land of traditional values, where people don't rely on handouts?
Quote:
So end them for the red states and lower the taxes for the red states in return. Go on, do it.
Except that it isn't the red states paying the freight for their programs, it's the wealthy states. You know what? I don't mind paying SNAP to children in poor red states. That's why we are the UNITED States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies