Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Another choice is for married couples is to get a divorce so that one spouse can get on medicaid with the kids.

So many wonderful options, right?
No, states don't allow any type of "medicaid divorce" anymore.
They will actually refuse to grant the divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 03:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, states don't allow any type of "medicaid divorce" anymore.
They will actually refuse to grand the divorce.

How would they know?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
How would they know?
I believe all divorce suits must list all assets and income.
A judge will rule.

I know this is an issue with older married couples when one needs nursing home care.

But I don't know all the details..just that it's a loophole that the courts are aware of.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
How would they know?
I think if the divorce is within a certain amount of time prior to the NH admission, it may be questioned.

Timeliness also applies to "gifting" assets to your kids.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
I never said once "make less money" did I ?

Go back and read my post.
I can't change what we do any more than I already have . I'm choosing option 1 and paying a boatload

Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Warren Buffet is what..a millionaire or billionaire ?
His taxable income is only $100K a year.

Did I ever say once.."make less money" ?
No, I said you need to get smarter about your income.
OK.

Since you, a person who knows absolutely NOTHING of any substance about our business, our income, our lifestyle, our savings plan, our investments, our cashflow, etc told me to get "get smarter," I guess I need to take your excellent advice - since obviously the idea of deducting as much of our income as possible has NEVER occurred to me ever ever ever. Nor has it occurred to our accountant or our financial advisor. I will be sure to let them know about this novel idea that I have learned this afternoon on the internet. Boy will they be appreciative! We'll all just jump right on that.

Like I said, if I was very wealthy, I'd have all sorts of tax shelters, shell corporations, offshore accounts, etc. available to me. I don't expect you to truly understand the plight of a small business owner in the US - not the very wealthy but someone living a pretty "regular" lifestyle. But let me help you understand something. We have a financial advisor. We have a CPA. We have an estate attorney. We have lots of advice from lots of smart people - and we take most of that advice. We also pay for that advice, and unlike Warren Buffet, we don't have endless streams of money, even money we can "write off" to pay for setting up corporations, moving money around globally, investing in foreign real estate, yada yada yada.

By the way, I've actually gleaned some good advice from various people on various topics on this very forum over the years (especially in the real estate and caregiving sections), so I'm not at all opposed to new ideas, and actually practical suggestions. But "get smarter about your income" doesn't fall into that category.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I change what we do any more than I already have . I'm choosing option 1 and paying a boatload
The burden for everything always falls on the middle class...always.

Remember that come 2016 voting and all the promises made where "the rich will pay" for those promises.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It's not unusual at all. It's very typical for those who are self insured. It's insulting that you think that people who have had this experience must be stupid or in your words, "confused". Really? The people who are the most vocal are the people who have been shafted. I'd love to just have insurance only for the big stuff and pay cash for everything else. It would make that insurance a lot more affordable and in line with it's original intent.
Right -and the people he is assuming are stupid or confused are actually SUCCESSFUL people, people who own and operate their own businesses, people who know what it takes to make a good living for themselves and their families. I find that very ironic.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think if the divorce is within a certain amount of time prior to the NH admission, it may be questioned.

Timeliness also applies to "gifting" assets to your kids.

I'm not talking about waiting until one is sick. A young healthy family could technically choose to get divorced, or more likely never get married in the first place in order to be able to afford health insurance. People get divorced all the time for all kinds of reasons. I don't think that the process has become more stringent due to obamacare.

And my post was tongue in cheek because I actually would not get a divorce just to get cheap health insurance. It could technically be an option though. It's an absurd one but sometimes people do absurd things when they don't have any real options.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with cheating the system.

Obamacare subsidies are your own tax credits..you are not taking any taxpayer money.
They are credits against your future income.

Did you think these premium subsidies were coming out of the General Fund or something ?
Where do you get this sort of idea?

Hey, news flash - a lot of people are NEVER going to make that extra money. Many people take more from the system than they give in every year their entire lives.

Besides that, that sort of reasoning is like playing craps and "betting on the come."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies