Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My husband and I used to go to gun shows in Reno and there are a large number of private sellers, transactions with a private seller are done without any background check at all. There are also a large number of 'parking lot' transactions where the guns being sold are not legal, i.e. machine guns.
O.K.? People at where I work buy,sell,trade guns all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
My husband and I used to go to gun shows in Reno and there are a large number of private sellers, transactions with a private seller are done without any background check at all. There are also a large number of 'parking lot' transactions where the guns being sold are not legal, i.e. machine guns.
So you want to make the illegal sales extra illegal?

The vast majority of crime guns do not come from gun shows or private sales. If private sales were to become illegal, guns would just be acquired via straw purchase (which is already illegal and where the majority of crime guns come from). Of course when someone gets caught doing this they are often not even put in jail, like the recent example where someone illegally purchased a gun for someone else and then the other person killed someone and the straw purchased just got probation with no jail time.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
If France made guns double illegal would the that have stopped the terrorists from getting them?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So how is this increasing crime? How will changing the law decrease crime? If restricting freedom leads to no increase in safety, why even restrict freedom in the first place?

You are so worried about something that makes no difference, you are caught up in sensational talking points. States that have banned private sale of property have seen zero reduction in violence because of the change, the only thing that has happened is freedom was restricted.

And these phantom gun sellers selling hundreds of guns, where do they get these guns? Are they buying hundreds of them and trying to make a profit? If that is the case how would they, as a middleman be able to sell these guns at a higher price then the gun dealers right next to them that can purchase in bulk? Of do you want someone like me or other that I know that have large collection of guns aquifer over decades to not be able to sell our property if life events require us to do so?

I am not "so worried" about it at all.

I am just sick of hearing "there is no loophole" when, in fact there is. The law certainly was never designed to allow dealers to skirt background checks by calling themselves "private sellers".

Maybe there isn't as many as the left likes to portray, that is certainly possible, but the point remains it shouldn't be allowed.

A simple threshold would eliminate the issue.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I am not "so worried" about it at all.

I am just sick of hearing "there is no loophole" when, in fact there is. The law certainly was never designed to allow dealers to skirt background checks by calling themselves "private sellers".

Maybe there isn't as many as the left likes to portray, that is certainly possible, but the point remains it shouldn't be allowed.

A simple threshold would eliminate the issue.
Saying letting individuals sell private property is a loophole is like saying driving under the speed limit and not getting a ticket is a loophole.

They are not dealers, they have no way of purchasing inventory to actually sell.

Even if their was a threshold, it would be impossible to know when that threshold was actually passed making the law useless and a waste of time.

Passing laws because they sound good when they are unworkable is just a restriction of civil liberties to playkate those who think "something must be done".

Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because "loophole" or not, it doesn't bother me.

That is an honest answer and I can certainly respect it more than simply denying it exists.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 AM

189 posts, read 153,239 times
Private sells only pertain to Rifles -semi, pump, bolt-action, break-barrel (not fully automatic/military weapon).

Private sell of rifles can only be done by residence of the same state.
Federal law/felony to sell rifle privately across state lines
* you sell a rifle in Ohio to Residence of Kentucky and the Kentuckian use it in a crime, you can be charge several felonies

Handguns - When you purchase a handgun, the registration number printed on the side follows you until it is transferred by a FFL. Federal Law ..
If you no longer in procession of that handgun and falls into someone else's hands without the FFL transfer, *felony. If it was stolen, Better have the police report... *felony

Just want clarify that. It seem that most people debating on this thread are not aware of how this works.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So you want to make the illegal sales extra illegal?

The vast majority of crime guns do not come from gun shows or private sales. If private sales were to become illegal, guns would just be acquired via straw purchase (which is already illegal and where the majority of crime guns come from). Of course when someone gets caught doing this they are often not even put in jail, like the recent example where someone illegally purchased a gun for someone else and then the other person killed someone and the straw purchased just got probation with no jail time.

I would like to see the stats or a link on private sales used in a crime, 40% of transfers are private sales.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would like to see the stats or a link on private sales used in a crime, 40% of transfers are private sales.
13% of crime guns come from gun shows based on a leaked doj memo that basically shows many of the gun laws wanted really make no difference.
http://static.infowars.com/2013/02/i...olicy-memo.pdf

These figures indicate informal transfers dominate the crime gun market. A perfect universal background check system can address the gun shows and might deter many unregulated private sellers. However, this does not address the largest sources (straw purchasers and theft), which would most likely become larger if background checks at gun shows and private sellers were addressed. The secondary market is the primary source of crime guns. Ludwig and Cook (2000) compared states that introduced Brady checks to those states that already had background checks and found no effect of the new background checks. They hypothesized that the background checks simply shifted to the secondary market those offenders who normally purchased in the primary market.

Supply sources can vary in different parts of the country. An NIJ funded study of the Los Angeles illicit gun market noted: “Results showed that many crime guns were first purchased at local—that is, in county—licensed dealers, rather than from out of state. That is,
, gun markets can be highly local. contrary to the conventional wisdom that crime guns were being trafficked across state borders from places with less stringent regulations, such as Arizona and Nevada, we found that a majority of the guns used in crimes were purchased in Los Angeles County.” Thus gun markets can be highly local.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:

I have to call you out on your last line, about machine guns being sold in the parking lots. Considering there are a finite amount of legal-to-own machine guns in the US, the extremely stiff punishments for illegal possession, and the ATF being all too happy to enforce the relating laws on them, I'd almost bet you that what you saw as a machine gun was little more than the semi-auto look-alike. You'd have to be a complete blithering idiot to conduct a transaction like that in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies