Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM

299 posts, read 316,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yes, choosing to cover her head is such a cowardly act. Do you say the same for women who choose, for reasons of their own, to cover their breasts and genitals?
She has been challenging religious fundamentalists since she was a child and took a bullet for it.

Please give us your own example of a courageous, independent feminist.

I have never called her a coward, but it's extremely naive to think that Malala is anything more than a puppet of West. While it's admirable that she advocates for education for the girls in Pakistan she still bows to the opressive religion she grew up with.

West would never applaud someone like Ayaan Hirsi as much as they applaud Malala becuause the first one was critical of Islam itself and encouraged Muslim women to become atheists.

Malala still wears her stupid scarf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
I have always considered myself a feminist and was very vocal with regards to equality issues my entire life. What I fail to understand is how come 3rd waive feminism refuses to tackle the issue of rampant misogyny in Islam. The only brave feminist group who has recently highlighted that problem is Femen (when they stormed Islamic conference in Paris - and did it naked :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3_dJArFV8 )

Also, Muslim feminist is an oxymoron even though some claim such thing exist.
When someone who is oppressed believes that the oppression is right and just, then it's impossible for the oppressed to fight for their rights.

In the West, it still is an ongoing battle to affirm that women are NOT second-class citizens, a fact that you affirm with your statement that you are very vocal with regards to equality issues. That we still have equality issues today, is a testament to how embedded in our culture is the idea that women are subordinate in society.

In the Middle East, the battle is to get women themselves to stop believing that they aren't equal to men, and that their subordination is for their own good. In a way, the laws/rules they have about women driving, working, getting an education, interacting with men who are not family, are all rules that are meant to isolate women so that they won't be exposed to the ideas of equality, so they won't be able to organize a movement. The more threatened the men are, the more draconian will the rules be.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No she's not, Malala is a puppet, while an admirable one she's still covering her head and following religion that doesn't respect her.
I don't think feminism should be about judging other women for their freely made choices.

Malala isn't a puppet. She's a young woman who's chosen what is important to her, and what she will fight for. The fact that you would have her fight even greater battles only tell us what is important to you. She has defied her oppressors, and done so in the face of great odds, at a great cost. That merits respect.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Bill Maher is a leftist who criticizes Islam. Why can't feminist? Feminist don't have the balls or any principles that aren't entirely self serving?
Many feminists do criticize the misogyny of Islam, as well as the misogyny of the other Abrahamic religions.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When someone who is oppressed believes that the oppression is right and just, then it's impossible for the oppressed to fight for their rights.

In the West, it still is an ongoing battle to affirm that women are NOT second-class citizens, a fact that you affirm with your statement that you are very vocal with regards to equality issues. That we still have equality issues today, is a testament to how embedded in our culture is the idea that women are subordinate in society.

In the Middle East, the battle is to get women themselves to stop believing that they aren't equal to men, and that their subordination is for their own good. In a way, the laws/rules they have about women driving, working, getting an education, interacting with men who are not family, are all rules that are meant to isolate women so that they won't be exposed to the ideas of equality, so they won't be able to organize a movement. The more threatened the men are, the more draconian will the rules be.
Speak for yourself. Retired female engineer here. If anything I pushed back people trying to shove the "girl card" in my face opening doors I was not qualified for.

I never had an issue with what you posted. I was the only female in my graduating class back in 1988 from the college of engineering. Never once was I ever treated second class.

And then 20+ years in a high tech company. Many times was the only female in the dept and NEVER once felt I was treated second class.

In between that a stint in the USCG again not treated second class (although I made 2nd class )

Maybe because I had the confidence that I wasn't second class, that I didn't need any "extra help" and that my brains were just as good as the guys.

I also shunned those women only groups that turned into whining sessions about how they were treated 2nd class and someone ought to do something about that.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think feminism should be about judging other women for their freely made choices.

Malala isn't a puppet. She's a young woman who's chosen what is important to her, and what she will fight for. The fact that you would have her fight even greater battles only tell us what is important to you. She has defied her oppressors, and done so in the face of great odds, at a great cost. That merits respect.
Malala hasn't defied her opressors, she lives in a safe place now, she escaped Pakistan when she was still a 14 year old kid. She now call herself a feminist while at the same time as I already said she bows to th emost misogynistic cult ever.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Many feminists do criticize the misogyny of Islam, as well as the misogyny of the other Abrahamic religions.
No many do not. How about almost none. They moslty criticize 'misogyny' if it's white.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Speak for yourself. Retired female engineer here. If anything I pushed back people trying to shove the "girl card" in my face opening doors I was not qualified for.

I never had an issue with what you posted. I was the only female in my graduating class back in 1988 from the college of engineering. Never once was I ever treated second class.

And then 20+ years in a high tech company. Many times was the only female in the dept and NEVER once felt I was treated second class.

In between that a stint in the USCG again not treated second class (although I made 2nd class )

Maybe because I had the confidence that I wasn't second class, that I didn't need any "extra help" and that my brains were just as good as the guys.

This ^^

I never carried a victim card myself. My only pet peeve in today's society is inequality when it comes to sex and shaming women for sleeping around but luckily this is also becoming a thing of the past.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
This ^^

I never carried a victim card myself. My only pet peeve in today's society is inequality when it comes to sex and shaming women for sleeping around but luckily this is also becoming a thing of the past.
LOL..you need to go into our middle and high schools today.
The shame is if you haven't slept around by the time you're 15.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
This ^^

Males don't respect promiscuous women. That's not a Christian or religious thing, that's a biology and nature thing. Deal with it. Nature did not make the sexes or ethnics identical. Deal with it. Your problem is with mother nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies