Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we have an attack like Paris, do you still support your decision to allow Syrains to immigrate in
Yes, I still support my decision 28 25.23%
No, I would change my mind 3 2.70%
Neither, I don't support the decision to let Syrians immigrate 80 72.07%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Rubber is about to meet the Road.

Washington Post Editorial Board, Mother Jones and even Eugene Robinson are saying he needs to Calm down and Get a Grip. A bill will be voted on today in the US House - it's very, very simple and has NOTHING to do with the Obama Hyperbole of "Religious Test". It's all about Security AND admitting Syrian Refugees into the USA.

Speaker Ryan: Syrian refugee bill does not have a 'religious test' |The Hill - November 18, 2015

The bill, which is slated for a House vote on Thursday, would prevent any refugees from Syria or Iraq from being admitted to the U.S. unless the FBI, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Director of National Intelligence can certify to Congress that each refugee does not pose a security threat.
“I don’t think it’s asking too much. I also want to point out that we will not have a religious test. Only a security test,” Ryan said.

Obama immediately said he would VETO the bill. ALL the Republicans will vote for this bill, I suspect many Democrats will vote for it also. Read that Mother Jones article - the American people EXPECT the Congress to make sure about the Security of these Refugees. The Feinstein Bill has nothing to do with Refugees - her Senate bill is about VISA's (which need to also be addressed). The scared Dems are hoping to stop the Refugee Legislation with some Razzle-Dazzle. TeamObama and the Democrats "hope" that this turns into a Government Shutdown over Spending for the Budget. Republicans NEED to not attach any of this to a Spending Bill. Just VOTE on it and let that VOTE stand.

After all the TeamObama rhetoric about the Extreme Vetting and Security of their Vetting - How in the world can they possibly object to a Certification by Jeh Johnson (Homeland Security), James Comey (FBI Director) and James Clapper (Director of National Security) verification that these "widows & orphan 3 year olds" pose NO Security Threat???

And YET - The most Leftist of the Leftists, say they won't vote in Favor of Security verification AND TeamObama says HE will VETO a bill about Security Verification ..... that he claims is Super-Duper So Good, that we will have no problems. He will look even more a total FOOL and the Democrats that vote against National Security after the ISIS Attack on Paris ..... oh my, that won't look good at all. Especially when there hasn't even been time to test the wind with the polling that will hit next week.

Like I said ..... The Rubber is about to Meet the Road and it's going to Run right over the ObamaMobile.
No Way can any of them object to a simple Verification of what TeamObama has already promised.
Rather long post and it doesn't address what they are proposing, aren't you one of the people critical of Nancy Pelosi's see what's in it. So what are the details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
ooooh, is Michele going to be mad if Obama has visions of declaring Martial Law to extend his presidency. After all Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which could give him the power to enact martial law.
Sorry, that's just crazy talk. Obama will retire as President on January 20, 2017 when the new President is sworn in.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No matter everyone's differing of opinion, isn't it better to aire on the side of caution, with all we have witnessed.

I figure better safe then sorry.
some people never learn...
I voted for Obama, in his first term, b/c I was sick and tired of the Bush antics...and what he did by taking us to war in Iraq, and then moving the whole thing to Afghanistan, getting our young men and women killed and mamed....and then do nothing, but nothing for the vets. How pathetic is our country.
I was hungry for Change, which Obama promised, and we sure did get change...look at what he has done to our country...good God...and worse, people still back him, b/c they voted for him and are afraid to admit mistake....

And now this....human beings are their own worst enemy and they never learn.

Do you know they are actually teaching Islam in Colleges, to get our children to sympathize with them?
This whole thing could be their Trojan Horse...and yet, there are still bleeding hearts in this pathetic situation.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The terrorist mastermind's own family didn't even realize that he was radicalized and a terrorist yet Obama and the left think they can ask a few questions and vet them out. LOL... people are f***n idiots
Do we really believe that? I have no faith in the French or Belgium police interrogation practices. They knew some of these guys were radicalized for years, and even some who flew back and forth to Syria and Belgium, and did nothing! Hopefully, they don't really think that brother is innocent. Maybe they let him think he got away so they could watch him and see if he could lead them to more terrorists in the cell.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
The Rubber is about to meet the Road.

Washington Post Editorial Board, Mother Jones and even Eugene Robinson are saying he needs to Calm down and Get a Grip. A bill will be voted on today in the US House - it's very, very simple and has NOTHING to do with the Obama Hyperbole of "Religious Test". It's all about Security AND admitting Syrian Refugees into the USA.

Speaker Ryan: Syrian refugee bill does not have a 'religious test' |The Hill - November 18, 2015

The bill, which is slated for a House vote on Thursday, would prevent any refugees from Syria or Iraq from being admitted to the U.S. unless the FBI, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Director of National Intelligence can certify to Congress that each refugee does not pose a security threat.
“I don’t think it’s asking too much. I also want to point out that we will not have a religious test. Only a security test,” Ryan said.

Obama immediately said he would VETO the bill. ALL the Republicans will vote for this bill, I suspect many Democrats will vote for it also. Read that Mother Jones article - the American people EXPECT the Congress to make sure about the Security of these Refugees. The Feinstein Bill has nothing to do with Refugees - her Senate bill is about VISA's (which need to also be addressed). The scared Dems are hoping to stop the Refugee Legislation with some Razzle-Dazzle. TeamObama and the Democrats "hope" that this turns into a Government Shutdown over Spending for the Budget. Republicans NEED to not attach any of this to a Spending Bill. Just VOTE on it and let that VOTE stand.

After all the TeamObama rhetoric about the Extreme Vetting and Security of their Vetting - How in the world can they possibly object to a Certification by Jeh Johnson (Homeland Security), James Comey (FBI Director) and James Clapper (Director of National Security) verification that these "widows & orphan 3 year olds" pose NO Security Threat???

And YET - The most Leftist of the Leftists, say they won't vote in Favor of Security verification AND TeamObama says HE will VETO a bill about Security Verification ..... that he claims is Super-Duper So Good, that we will have no problems. He will look even more a total FOOL and the Democrats that vote against National Security after the ISIS Attack on Paris ..... oh my, that won't look good at all. Especially when there hasn't even been time to test the wind with the polling that will hit next week.

Like I said ..... The Rubber is about to Meet the Road and it's going to Run right over the ObamaMobile.
No Way can any of them object to a simple Verification of what TeamObama has already promised.
Kirby, your missing the whole point of this, no one but no one can assure anyone who these Refugees are...are you kidding me....? They don't have documents...no one knows who they are and if our own military over in the Middle East cannot tell who they are, how in God's name do you expect any agency government or not, over here to be able to tell the difference????? Please, don't buy this....that Bill insults the intelligence of the American People.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Sorry, that's just crazy talk. Obama will retire as President on January 20, 2017 when the new President is sworn in.
Oh no not that again, reminds me of the good old days in 2011 when he was going to declare martial law, steal everyones guns and extend his presidency.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
The primary function of the federal government is relatively simple:

To provide for the common defense of its citizens.

I'd be very happy if that basic provision remained our essential objective.

"If you are under 30 and not a liberal, you have no heart; If you are over 30 and not a conservative, you have no brain".
- Attributed to Sir Winston Churchill

In Colorado, our governor is welcoming all refugees with open arms. We'll see how that works out for us. Maybe they'll just get stoned, eat Doritos and watch reruns of The Flintstones all day. It appears that it is better to be PC and have a few people killed here and there than be called "racist".

Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It would be nice if either you or the OP would add some details to what the GOP is proposing before stating "I like it", wouldn't that be novel.

The vetting process takes almost 2 years and goes through several agencies, what changes are they proposing?????

You don't know what's in their proposal but you want them to override, interesting. Anything Obama wants is bad, don't let facts get in the way.
Quote:
Finn_Jarber
It's funny they would introduce bills which do not change anything. It's like saying "let's keep doing what we do now, but going forward I'll take credit for it".

The vetting process today takes two years on average and less than 1% of the applicants qualify.

What are they proposing what is not done already? Nothing.

This kind of political BS is why Congress approval rating is nearly zero.
Quote:
Finn_Jarber
Probably because the current vetting process takes 2 years, and less than 1% of the applicants are let in.

What is this bill calling for which is not already being done?
It does not seem like there is anything new on it.
IF there is "nothing new" in this Bill ...... why would Obama want to VETO it? Makes no sense at all.
You are correct about one thing - H.R. 4038, known as The SAFE Act , doesn't change or direct how TeamObama vets Refugees. There is no Religious Test, there isn't even a "Pause" in Refugee entry.
No instructions about WHO comes or HOW they are Vetted.

So why the Obama Hysteria??? over a 4 page Bill called The SAFE ACT?

It's exactly what I posted above - the Director of the FBI, the Secretary of Homeland Security & the Director of National Intelligence ALL have to Certify that the Refugee has been Vetted and Passed Security checks. Why would Obama get Hysterical about this? He promised the Vetting process is SAFE and Vigorous ..... and yet - he goes into StompyFoot Mode and says he will VETO. The Safe Act "changes" nothing about HOW these Refugees enter the USA, WHEN they enter or the NUMBER who enter. The State Department, Health & Human Services and Homeland Security are STILL the Agencies in charge.

What is this bill calling for which is not already being done?
It does not seem like there is anything new on it.

What is "NEW" is Accountability and the name of 3 Men on a Certification that what Obama has promised is true and being done properly. Can you explain, OR can Obama explain why this should be a "problem" with a VETO attached to it?

Do you think it possibly has anything at all to do with ALL 3 of these men (who are tasked with a signature of Certification) have already Testified to Congress that they can't really Vet (most) of these Refugees at all because they don't have access to records.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No they aren't. There is no way to vet them AT ALL unless they exist in the FBI's terror watch list database. The FBI said this already, there is no Syrian background check database that they check. There is nothing unless they are told by Syrian officials that these people are terrorists and they are put into OUR database.
If there is no information they don't come in. This is one of the reasons only 1% even make is as far as US interview process.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
IF there is "nothing new" in this Bill ...... why would Obama want to VETO it? Makes no sense at all.
Is there a point in passing meaningless bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies