Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Okay, you wait. Maybe hold your breath while you wait.
Okay so you have nothing, I understand completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Since I'm being questioned on every detail of my posts, what about the chart Jason Chaffetz held up to show an increase in abortions? The chart was not only wrong and misleading, but Chaffetz said in front of the cameras that it was straight from a Planned Parenthood annual report. Yet the chart he held up was prepared by an anti-abortion group and was entirely different from the one in Planned Parenthood's annual report.

Want me to post that video?

Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
You need a dr or nurse practitioner to order the mamo. This is what they do. Ok everyone ??

Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand why you are so defensive, unless the fact that you have been lied to by PP has upset you. I was just setting the record straight.

My doctor actually found a lump on my breast which turned out to be cancerous. I still wouldn't tell anyone that the Dr's office performs mammograms.
I hope you're well now and cancer free. I don't think PP lied, however, I admit I misunderstood that they offer women mammograms at their clinics. I probably heard "access to mammograms."

This article discusses the controversy.

[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/10/02/the-repeated-misleading-claim-that-planned-parenthood-provides-mammograms/[/url]

"Planned Parenthood’s annual report shows it gave 487,029 breast exam services for women in 2013. This is a clinical breast exam, checking for changes or lumps in women’s breasts. If the doctor finds something abnormal or worth checking out, the patient is referred for a mammogram, which requires X-rays given at a licensed radiology facility. Planned Parenthood does administer Pap tests and HPV tests, both of which screen for cervical cancer."

Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You need a dr or nurse practitioner to order the mamo. This is what they do. Ok everyone ??
To clarify, that's not 100% true if it's just a routine screening. But almost everyone does see a doctor first to get a prescription. Then the mammogram is called a diagnostic mammogram. It also depends on your insurer.

However, I'm guessing that since the women who go to PP are low income and need referrals, then it's necessary to first be examined by a doctor or NP. Anyway, the exams are life saving and many women would not be diagnosed without them. That's more important than any verbiage we're all debating.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:03 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Agreed justNAncy. People are so mean and only believe the worse - never see any good / I feel sorry for them -bitter crabby folks

Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Since I'm being questioned on every detail of my posts, what about the chart Jason Chaffetz held up to show an increase in abortions? The chart was not only wrong and misleading, but Chaffetz said in front of the cameras that it was straight from a Planned Parenthood annual report. Yet the chart he held up was prepared by an anti-abortion group and was entirely different from the one in Planned Parenthood's annual report.

Want me to post that video?
Sure if you want to. Although, I never said anything about Jason Chaffetz. I only posted testimony from a PP executive admitting that mammograms are not performed at PP. I really don't understand what Chaffetz has to do with anything. He was not testifying or responding to a question. Regardless, I have never defended what he said or stated that the chart or his statements were true, but feel free to post the video if that will give you some inner peace.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hope you're well now and cancer free. I don't think PP lied, however, I admit I misunderstood that they offer women mammograms at their clinics. I probably heard "access to mammograms."

This article discusses the controversy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...es-mammograms/

"Planned Parenthood’s annual report shows it gave 487,029 breast exam services for women in 2013. This is a clinical breast exam, checking for changes or lumps in women’s breasts. If the doctor finds something abnormal or worth checking out, the patient is referred for a mammogram, which requires X-rays given at a licensed radiology facility. Planned Parenthood does administer Pap tests and HPV tests, both of which screen for cervical cancer."

Thank you, yes I had wonderful doctors and owe everything to my family doctor who found the lump at my very first visit with her.

I was just setting the record straight regarding mammograms because this has been a misrepresented issue by PP and I don't understand why they would tell people they provide mammograms when they could clearly state that they provide referrals for mammogram services.

I know that PP performs a lot of health services, but they have allowed the "misunderstanding" about providing mammograms to persist until require to admit under oath that this is not a service they perform. To me, when they have boldly misrepresented themselves on this issue, I tend not to blindly accept other statements they have made.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 PM

You'd probably be surprised to know how I personally feel about abortion. Also, I never used a clinic for low income families in my life, even when I was dirt poor. However, what I think or feel is not the issue here. I've been posting a lot, so I'll let this woman say more than I can intelligently (and intelligibly) write at this point.

[URL="http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2015/11/29/why-we-all-need-planned-parenthood/"]Why We All Need Planned Parenthood[/URL]

Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I really don't understand what Chaffetz has to do with anything.
You were talking about blindly accepted statements. Jason Chaffetz was one of the Congressmen questioning Cecile Richards that day. He held up a chart that showed a big increase in abortions and said it was from Planned Parenthood's annual report. It wasn't. It was a misleading chart prepared by an anti-abortion group called "Americans United For Life." The chart didn't even make sense. However, I'll give the Congressman the benefit of the doubt and assume he never took a high school course on basic quantitative skills, like plotting a graph. To date, he hasn't apologized or corrected his figures. This seems to be a pattern for some politicians. "I said it, so it must be true, even when it isn't."

I had to look for the video (since I was relying on my memory)

[youtube]iGlLLzw5_KM[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlLLzw5_KM[/url]

Last edited by justNancy; 12-01-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies