Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

But then where will the churchgoers eat after Sunday service? Shoneys and Lubys closed!!!!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
Why doesn't America nationwise ban Sunday shopping like most of Europe? Only essentials (pharmacies, food places, restaurants permitted to be open). It's great having a day of rest giving workers a day off, more time to spend with family and friends. Many countries in Europe including in France are secular with separation of church and state as well, so it has nothing to do with Christianity.
Restaurants are "essentials"? Really?

Here's an idea. If you don't want to shop on Sunday, don't shop on Sunday.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Stores open on Sunday has NEVER stopped me from having a traditional Sunday Dinner and has NEVER stopped me from spending time with my family.

Anyone who needs the government to control store hours so they can spend time with their family is an absolute spineless idiot.
That's a harsh statement considering a lot of people no longer have a choice about working on Sundays in those stores that are staying open.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Most stores used to be closed on Sundays in many states in the USA. People decided they loved money and convenience more than they loved Jesus and changed the laws.
if it were truly about religion, then the stores would be closed on SATURDAY following jewish tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Liberals aren't the ones who wanted to shop on Sundays. It was the business people who didn't want to be closed because they might miss a sale. I remember when all stores were closed on Sundays. I loved it. It was a time to slow down and spend time with family hence the Sunday dinner tradition. If enough people objected to stores being open the simple solution is just not go to them on Sundays. If they didn't make a profit then, they'd closed. I rarely if ever go on Sundays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Stores open on Sunday has NEVER stopped me from having a traditional Sunday Dinner and has NEVER stopped me from spending time with my family.

Anyone who needs the government to control store hours so they can spend time with their family is an absolute spineless idiot.
roadking is right, if you want to have a traditional family sunday dinner, then do let the fact that the stores are open on sunday stop you.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
That's a harsh statement considering a lot of people no longer have a choice about working on Sundays in those stores that are staying open.
Millions of people choose jobs that do not require them to work on Sunday. I has been done for decades.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Also, your post was about shopping on Sunday, not working on Sunday.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if it were truly about religion, then the stores would be closed on SATURDAY following jewish tradition.
This may come as a shock to you, but the predominant religion in the USA has never been Judaism.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
At one point in time the US did have laws "Blue Laws" that required businesses to remain closed on Sundays. These laws were deemed Constitutional by the Supreme Court, but ultimately, each state has repealed such laws or modified them such that in some states certain items may be restricted from purchase on Sunday. America is not France or Europe (regardless of how hard progressive want to push us in that direction) and the basic tenant of this nation is Freedom, therefore, shop owners should be free to serve the public as they deem fit. No retail outlet is forced to be open on Sunday, nor forced to be closed on Sunday.
Illinois is the only State I know of that still has one. But it only applies to car dealers. A few years ago there was a push to repeal it, but the dealers successfully blocked it.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
At one point in time the US did have laws "Blue Laws" that required businesses to remain closed on Sundays. These laws were deemed Constitutional by the Supreme Court, but ultimately, each state has repealed such laws or modified them such that in some states certain items may be restricted from purchase on Sunday.
In some states, it's against state law for car dealers to open on Sunday and is well observed. At least it sure is in Oklahoma. Until someone files a lawsuit against that law, I assume it will continue to be observed. But it seems most people love that law.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-18-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
Why doesn't America nationwise ban Sunday shopping like most of Europe? Only essentials (pharmacies, food places, restaurants permitted to be open). It's great having a day of rest giving workers a day off, more time to spend with family and friends. Many countries in Europe including in France are secular with separation of church and state as well, so it has nothing to do with Christianity.
Why? Because we have enough assanine busy body laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies