Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The numbers you are using are 4 years old, a lifetime in a region undergoing civil war. There may be many reasons why christians have lower numbers, reside in a safer area, inability to travel from their location or already left the country over the years. Lacking that information the title that insinuates the US is screening christians is rather misleading. This is just a childish reaction by Fox News in reation to Obama's comments regarding screening Muslims from entry, I wouldn't expect anything less from that network.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
I have given MANY sources that state that the current demographics of Syria include about ten percent Christians.

But I'll repost and give more since you seem to think I pulled that figure from Fox News (which I did not, by the way).

Quote:
Muslim 87% (official; includes Sunni 74% and Alawi, Ismaili, and Shia 13%), Christian (includes Orthodox, Uniate, and Nestorian) 10% (includes Orthodox, Uniate, and Nestorian), Druze 3%, Jewish (few remaining in Damascus and Aleppo)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sy.html
Last update - November 4, 2015

Syria Demographics Profile 2014
(2014)

Do I need to continue? This stuff is pretty easy to find online. (Hint: GOOGLE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am looking for specific answers, and you can talk all you want, but nothing you have said answers the questions. I don't think it's a deliberate deflection from your part, but it is irrelevant to the topic.
I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION. I didn't claim to have the answer to that specific question, but the facts I added to the discussion flesh out the total picture of the plight of Syrian Christians. So they are relevant to the topic at hand.

You don't have to agree with that for it to be so.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes, I know.

It doesn't change what I said.

Citation needed.

Just because some of them aren't filing for asylum in the U.S. doesn't mean they aren't filing for asylum in Europe or elsewhere.
I'm not going to repeat the citations I've already supplied over and over again on this thread. Sorry. If you're truly interested in the situation of Christians in Syria, take the time to scroll back up and click on the NUMEROUS citations I've already given. If not, (shrug) - but quit arguing with me about sources I've already given but you haven't bothered to click on.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I ASKED THE SAME QUESTION. I didn't claim to have the answer to that specific question, but the facts I added to the discussion flesh out the total picture of the plight of Syrian Christians. So they are relevant to the topic at hand.
It's ok to say you don't know the answer. Instead of saying that, you try to bury it under other issues like demographics in Syria. The topic is US accepting, or not accepting Christian refugees.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes, I know.

It doesn't change what I said.

Just because some of them aren't filing for asylum in the U.S. doesn't mean they aren't filing for asylum in Europe or elsewhere.
I have been trying to explain this simple point several times.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Just one coming or slipping thru the cracks to get into this Country to do damage control and harm, sorry but is one too many!

And you can just bet on it, that so many coming in, will have an ax to grind here to think no, is naïve stupid and gullable as our President is.
Why would a terrorist (or 1000 of them) want to sit for a year or longer in a camp, go through endless interviews, and still stand a good chance of not getting let in, when all he has to do, grab a passport (real or forged) and catch a plane and go to anywhere in America he wants.

The gullible are those who think stopping the refugees will magically keep terrorists out

Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not going to repeat the citations I've already supplied over and over again on this thread. Sorry.
The citations you've supplied in this thread don't apply to Syrian Christian refugees as a whole.

They only apply to Syrian refugees that applied to the United States.

Quote:
If not, (shrug) - but quit arguing with me about sources I've already given but you haven't bothered to click on.
Holy hell -- YOU are the one who responded to something I said, not the other way around.

It appears you're just trying to silence people who don't blindly accept your unsupported claims.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
I think she doesn't read the responses she gets.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
It's ok to say you don't know the answer. Instead of saying that, you try to bury it under other issues like demographics in Syria. The topic is US accepting, or not accepting Christian refugees.
I have no problem stating that I don't know the answer. I also have no problem exploring different possible answers to that question. It's a good question - one I've posed myself - and one I've dug around for trying to understand and find an answer for.

The topic includes WHY Syrian Christians may or may not be even registering on the US radar. It's an integral part of the picture. I don't know why you refuse to acknowledge or consider that - but I also don't care, come to think of it.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
To you and Le Roi - I've given a possible answer to that question as well. One hypothesis, which I've given several credible sources for already, is that Syrian Christians do not go to the refugee camps because of persecution in the camps. The vast majority of Syrian refugees are coming through the refugee camps.

Also, they are not considered political refugees by ANYONE - the US, or Europe, or anyone else involved in the current vetting system - because they are not being specifically persecuted (in most cases) by any faction of the Syrian government.

And I've been trying to explain these simple concepts repeatedly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies