Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 08:03 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times

Advertisements

I know what UHC sytems are like. I have experienced it first hand. I know its pitfalls and i know its good points. If America started a UHC system they could look at the UK system and iron out any pitfalls we may have. Many people are afraid of UHC here because they simply DO NOT understand it or experienced it. You are talking about things you have absolutely NO knowledge of. You are Scared of change and scared of paying for someone else. You can't see that it would bring you insurance premiums down drastically and provide EVERYBODY with top class health care for much less outlay. If you want to be dictated to by the insurance companies and pay for their CEO's Yacht, then carry on. Paying Expensive insurance policies only benefits the Fat Cats of these companies. Fear is driving this and fear comes from the unknown. UHC is unknown to you so you find every excuse to knock it. It is NOT charity, we all pay for it and everybody doesn't run to the Dr if they get sniffles. This in insurance language is called "DEFLECTION". You put up a argument to deflect what you see as something that scares you. PITY!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
What makes you think that suddenly you will have more people get sick now under a UHI plan then before. Maybe they have a shortage of Dr's that have NOTHING to do with UHI.

That argument doesn't make sense.. the hospitals are there and will be there treating patients.. you're not going to suddenly find that more people are flooding medical facilities because you have UHI.. I just don't get that argument AT ALL!
My "argument" is the way it is! Waiting lists are COMMON with UHI like Canada. It has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH UHI.

The canadian system decides who lives and who dies

Old 02-03-2008, 08:05 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What might happen though under UHI (and this has been proven in Canada and the UK) - you may very well have to wait for treatment for your condition.

Example: Recently, a member of the Canadian parliment, who had a heart condition, was put on a waiting list for treatment - her condition worsened - yet, she remained on a waiting list.

She came to the United States, was treated, and is fine. She saw a Doctor in the US the day she arrived, and was hospitalized the same day.

In Canada - she would have been left to die.
What makes you think that suddenly you will have more people get sick now under a UHI plan then before. Maybe they have a shortage of Dr's that have NOTHING to do with UHI.

That argument doesn't make sense.. the hospitals are there and will be there treating patients.. you're not going to suddenly find that more people are flooding medical facilities because you have UHI.. I just don't get that argument AT ALL!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I think it would be better to just come up with a HI for those who lack it -- a plan paid into by them and which covers them.

There could be different levels just like many insurance companies have so higher users pay more, lower users pay less. If it's run more efficiently than an insurance company - then more people woud want to move over to it -- otherwise they might opt to stay with their insurance company.

Sorry - Universal Health Insurance is not needed in the United States

Quote:
Really? And, what about those who work - but don't get a paycheck?

What about those who will not pay into your system?

I agree.we have an immigration isseu that could casue HUGE problems to the system.. we need to fix that as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I agree.we have an immigration isseu that could casue HUGE problems to the system.. we need to fix that as well.
I'M NOT TALKING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION -

I'M TALKING ABOUT AMERICAN CITIZENS

Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
What makes you think if a doctor being payed for by a insurance company will diagnose grumbling appendix when he knows by diagnosing full blown appendix will earn him a lot more money. No "its an op for you my lad"
This is all to no point anyway as Hillary Clinton WILL push UHC and it will happen anyway

Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Look - your emotional on this issue. Understandable. But, you also are unaware of what the real world is

yes.. you're right.. this SHOULD be an emotional issue NOT a dollar one.. my life is priceelss .. as is yours and everyone elses

Here in AZ - we have some of the best hospitals in the world - and they are profitable - they are not "hurting". They are full.

We do not need to change our system - We do not need UHI.

We can make provisions for the small minority of people without insurance without changing the system
Of COURSE the beds are FULL .. they are full becasue people get sick AND the hospitals HAVE to treat everyone that walks thruogh the doors no matter wethey they have health insurance or NOT! The current system passes that expense on raising the cost astronomically for everyone.. putting health insurance and health care out of reach of so many!!
Imagine a sytem where EVERY patient that walks through that door gets treated AND the hospital gets paid.. I think hospitals would be very happy about that.. AS A RESULT COSTS ARE DRIVEN DOWN!! NOT UP! which is good for the UHI system!

Yes.. there is a Huge illegal immigration problem in the U.S that needs to be addressed and dealt with for a system like this to work ABSOLUTELY!

And our hospitals are FULL and ALL PEOPLE MUST CURRENTLY BE TREATED REGARDLESS OF INSURANCE OR NOT.. yet we dont' have waiting lists!! So what makes you think we'll suddenly have waiting lists if the system is switched.. !! It won't..

Also.t hat waiting list nonsense is propaganda on the part of the greedy insurance companies who surely don't want UHI lest it eats at their profits and actually makes it fair for everyone.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM

What are you going to do with those who do want UHI?

What are you going to do with those who will not pay into UHI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies