Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times

Advertisements

Don't forget it is the American people who vote in the Govt. You put them in. You should read their manifestos before you vote. You get what YOU vote for.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 PM

269 posts, read 542,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
i love how some people are protesting about Govt interference being so bad. I remember Hurrican Katrina. The state should be the First responders. The mayor of New Orleans did not want the Govt to send anyone as it was "All under Control"
But everyone now has criticised the Govt for NOT getting there quick enough. The Govt couldn't win for trying. Is it just the word GOVERNMENT that brings you out in a rash?
Yes. Welcome to America!

Not everyone agrees that the mess in New Orleans is or was the federal government's fault or continuing problem.

Mostly, the people I know who were pissed off at the feds over that mess were people who were ecstatic to prove that Bush was a racist imperialist scumbag.

I'm no fan of Bush, but even I can see opportunistic political point-scoring when I see it. New Orleans had mismanaged its affairs for a loooong time before that hurricane ever hit the levy, IIRC.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Don't forget it is the American people who vote in the Govt. You put them in. You should read their manifestos before you vote. You get what YOU vote for.
Ah, yes. Mostly, we get to vote for whatever/whoever the powers-that-be on teevee tells us to vote for.

Our political affairs ARE a mess, truly. Sigh.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM

I Agree coffee. So much money was given to New Orleans for years before the Hurricane. Where did that go? NOT on the levees

Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Its a sad fact but we do vote for whover gives the best tv appearances now. It's become a personality contest not a political policy issue

Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM

ay, I wish I knew for sure.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:30 PM

There is NO way i can convince people that a UHC works, But for many years our Health Service was envied by the world. The reasons it isn't anymore is varied. Even though it has crumbled in many ways it still works good. My wife when she came over from America had a serious operation on her gall stones. This should have been a easy op but because she had no health cover in the United States, the gall stones were not deemed to be an emergency. They became infected and full of puss. If she hadn't seen a doctor here and got her op, she WOULD have died. The doctor said she was very very lucky.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
You can pick your friends. You can also dump a bad friend. People, in fact, do it all the time. If you drag your "friends" down instead of acting in a mutually beneficial way, you can expect to have few friends.

You can't pick 300 million people who share absolutely nothing but a common continent and expect them to behave so charitably toward the "common good."

First.. we're not talking about friends, dinners etc. we're talking about how EVERYONE .. regardless or race, sex. or socioeconomic status deserves the SAME HIGH QUALITY health care..

We share MORE than a continent in commone.. we are ALL HUMAN BEINGS WHO SHARE THE FACT THAT WE ALL HAVE AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER HEATL ISSUES THAT NEEDS ADDRESSING.

I do not feel that ANYONE should be turen down, denied or have access to any treatment or medicine simply because they don't make as much money as you or me.

I guess you feel that Bill Gates is BETTER than EVERYONE .. heck better than whole countries, because he's one of the wealthiest men in the world! NO..

We're all human beings first! Human beings that live and work in a country together side by side. All people who at one time or another get sick and need help! PERIOD.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Unfortunately we are reduced to "lesser of the evils".. LOL. They ahve to pander to the public, pander to those that have htem in their pockets.. and then pander to their own pockets...

Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Unfortunately we are reduced to "lesser of the evils".. LOL. They ahve to pander to the public, pander to those that have htem in their pockets.. and then pander to their own pockets...

And to add.. it's not neccesarily in that order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies