Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Princeton considers dropping Woodrow Wilson name after protests - BBC News

I can't say that I am surprised, but the left's selected outrage makes me sick. While Woodrow Wilson was no doubt a racist, where was the outrage against Robert "KKK" Byrd? Why are the Democrats giving FDR a free pass, despite the fact that he sent Japanese Americans to internment camps during WWII? Most puzzling, why are black liberals the most loyal Hillary supporters, despite all the "racist" things she supposedly said against Obama in 2008?
But ceasing to honor Wilson is the opposite of whitewashing him.

One party is the same party as a guy who set up internment camps sixty years ago, the other party wants to set up internment camps now. Who is to say which is better?

...the first one is obviously better, duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Default "their current agenda."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you believe that, you are blind. The left revises history all the time to suit thier current agenda. In that (and nearly every other) regard, they are the fascists of our time.

To the left:

Mao is good

Lenin is good

Che is good

Castro is good

Democrats never supported slavery

Democrats never opposed the civil rights movement

Byrd was never a KKK member

Clinton had a surplus

There was no scandal at Whitewater

There was no problem with the IRS treatment of conservatives

Kennedy did nothing wrong at Chapaquitic

US immigration policy was not changed in the 1960s to favor third world nations

Liberals are not anti-semitic

Global Warming data is not faked
I am by just about all measures a liberal progressive, and as such I am always amazed at what the more conservative folks like to insist the left believes. Even more amazing is the degree to which other conservative folks swallow the same bullarky without a second thought. I've long come to know better than to attempt reason in the face of this brand of dim-wittedness (though I still succumb now and then). Rather than argue in this case as well, I just have one question...

What about how liberals hate America?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
2015 equivalent of a lynch mob.

It is clear to me that all the ones who continually drag out Byrd was a KKK member do not really believe the concept of redemption for anyone other than the people they approve of.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Princeton considers dropping Woodrow Wilson name after protests - BBC News

I can't say that I am surprised, but the left's selected outrage makes me sick. While Woodrow Wilson was no doubt a racist, where was the outrage against Robert "KKK" Byrd? Why are the Democrats giving FDR a free pass, despite the fact that he sent Japanese Americans to internment camps during WWII? Most puzzling, why are black liberals the most loyal Hillary supporters, despite all the "racist" things she supposedly said against Obama in 2008?
Wilson was also a "Progressive" and is sometimes referred to as the "father of American Progressivism." He is the one responsible for coining the phrase, "living Constitution."

Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 AM

Default The broad brush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wilson was also a "Progressive" and is sometimes referred to as the "father of American Progressivism." He is the one responsible for coining the phrase, "living Constitution."
I suppose we should be excused for suspending historical context or forgiving those of earlier times that now we know or wish should have known better, but can we really do that from a reasonable standpoint? I mean, our founding fathers were slave owners and didn't even consider blacks as equals when they wrote the Constitution.

I am not sure what is wrong with the phrase, "living constitution," but if the heartburn is over interpretation, what must we think of the Supreme Court Justices of the United States I wonder...

Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am by just about all measures a liberal progressive, and as such I am always amazed at what the more conservative folks like to insist the left believes. Even more amazing is the degree to which other conservative folks swallow the same bullarky without a second thought. I've long come to know better than to attempt reason in the face of this brand of dim-wittedness (though I still succumb now and then). Rather than argue in this case as well, I just have one question...

I do not believe that all liberals (or even most of them) hate America, but I am convinced that a great many of them do.

To hear some of them rant and rave, it seems to me that they truly would like to destroy the U.S.A., but to my knowledge, there are no essays or articles saying what they would like to replace it with. If I am mistaken about this, I would appreciate anything or any links to educate me. (I am a moderate, btw.)

Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Default Bad hearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I do not believe that all liberals (or even most of them) hate America, but I am convinced that a great many of them do.

To hear some of them rant and rave, it seems to me that they truly would like to destroy the U.S.A., but to my knowledge, there are no essays or articles saying what they would like to replace it with. If I am mistaken about this, I would appreciate anything or any links to educate me. (I am a moderate, btw.)
First of all, you are somehow convinced of something that truly needs re-thinking. Just because someone "rants and raves" as you choose to describe, could easily be considered more love of country rather than the opposite. Consider, for example, that I can easily say the same of what I have heard some die-hard right wingers espouse, truly misguided and bad for America in my opinion, but I know these people are just misguided, not to be confused with love of country.

You want essays and articles to support your beliefs?

I would recommend you follow the news instead and stay away from talking heads and bias to whatever extent possible. The PBS Newshour, for example, does about the best job I know, providing one good solid hour, commercial free, and devoted to having guests speak from "both sides" of the important issues of the day.

Follow the news and what the candidates debate. Follow what your elected representatives might argue and how they vote. Not easy, but I don't know much better way to figure out what you want to know.

There is also the easy option of Googling for just about anything you want to read or believe, but beware the folly of confirmation bias.

If you seek answers for what people who want to "destroy the U.S.A." would like to "replace it with," I might lastly suggest you have far better things to learn and/or do with your time...

Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
I suppose we should be excused for suspending historical context or forgiving those of earlier times that now we know or wish should have known better, but can we really do that from a reasonable standpoint? I mean, our founding fathers were slave owners and didn't even consider blacks as equals when they wrote the Constitution.

I am not sure what is wrong with the phrase, "living constitution," but if the heartburn is over interpretation, what must we think of the Supreme Court Justices of the United States I wonder...
Even for his times, Wilson was a super-racist. We each have our own views of how presidents rank. imo, Wilson was awful in many ways, a vastly over-rated prez. It wouldn't bother me one bit if his name is removed from Princeton.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, you are one of Mao's "useful idiots".

The left presents to the "masses" (those below average have underachieved, therefore there is 50% of the population as a receptive audience) that they have not achieved thier goal due to the opppressive and unfair policies of the capitalistic system.

Again- simply due to a "bell curve" of statsitcis, we have HALF of the population as willing and receptive ears. That, in and of itself, is a politcial juggernaut. Those who have not achieved thier economic goals tend to seek skapegoats, other than themselves, to accout for thier predicamint. In the US, that "explanation", rather than examination of personal efforts, includes "racism" as the defalut explanation for differences in economic outcomes.

So we have half of the population in a capitalistic system that feel they have under-achieved in society, due to "the system". They have been "screwed", not due to their own effort or establishing a skil level in a a particular economy, but due to "the man".

WAKE UP- ANYONE WHO IS HARD WORKING, ABLE TO TAKE RISKS, AND IS INTELLIGENT CAN BECOME RICH IN AMERICA. The losers of society will seek the refuge of "racism" and "the system" to justify and rationalize thier failures.

WAKE UP........................... the US does not universally reward losers and those with no initiative.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:07 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,043 times
Quote:

They hate whites.

They hate Christians.

They hate individual liberty.

So yes they hate America and wish to fundamentally transform it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies