Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:12 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

At least he speaks truth with regard to the Muslim
Threat.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I agree with lilyflower. He's a comedian who uses shock value to entertain. He knows and panders to his audience. There's really no way to gauge how "true" or deep his liberal political views are.
Certainly not all this time, considering his audience is liberals, many who aren't comfortable with his statements related to muslims.

One of the last liberals overall? Well, in terms of social issues, the U.S. is fairly liberal and becoming more so. Same-sex marriage is supported by a solid majority (55%), marijuana legalization has strong majority support (58%), and abortion is split about 50/50. [All this based on polling by Gallup and Pew.]

Economically most U.S. voters still identify as conservative, but tend to be more socially liberal:
On Social Ideology, the Left Catches Up to the Right

Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Moderate left would describe him I think.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I disagree with a lot of his views but I respect him for being able to stand up for his beliefs even if other liberals disagree with him.
Anyone standing up for anti-vaccine beliefs is ignorant, not respectable. There's no science behind them.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Anyone standing up for anti-vaccine beliefs is ignorant, not respectable. There's no science behind them.
WTF are you writing about? Do you watch the video? He's not opposed to all vaccines, he's just arguing that they might be overused in much the same way antibiotics have been overused.

He's just questioning the wisdom of the high quantity of administered of vaccines. We now know many antibiotics are/were overused. Isn't possible the same might be true of vaccines? It seems like a reasonable question.

The concern over GMOs? Yeah, probably BS.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I ask this in all fairness. I don't particularly like Bill Maher's politics but I enjoy his show and debates. And to me, it seems that Bill Maher may be more in tune to what his party stands for then many of the ones that hold these blinded views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LndIKPmpa0I
I think Maher thinks he's smarter than he really is. With that said, you may have point.

A huge double standard I see in the mainstream left is hating on Christians but not doing the same for Muslims. My view of both is the same. If either took their book literally, they're stupid and dangerous. Simple. The majority of Christians don't. Maybe the majority of Muslims don't, but they aren't doing enough to stop the incredibly large number of those who do. Sorry, but ISIS does interpret the Koran fairly literally. If you define a religion by how closely they follow their doctrine, ISIS is very much Islamic.

It is worth saying that many moderate Muslims also interpret it literally, but in the opposite direction. Given that Mohammad was a warrior and a conqueror, much of the book should be viewed within that context. The moderates do not apply the same level of force and violence because they do not feel the need to conquer.

All the same, I'm against singling Islam out, but Islam needs to reform. Christianity did, and if you remember, that required Christians to fight off the central power within Christianity. A lot of people inaccurately frame Christianity as mellowing out over tie. No. They were forced into it. Islam needs to be too and I feel that, unfortunately, that force cannot come from outside the religion. It will be seen as an attack, where as reform on the inside is at least less likely to be perceived this way.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Bill maher claims to be a liberarian when it suits him , John Stossel's a true liberarian .

Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Bill maher claims to be a liberarian when it suits him , John Stossel's a true liberarian .
I don't think he has claimed to be a libertarian since the 'Politically Incorrect' days. Currently he claims to be a liberal and only claims to share some libertarian ideas.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't think he has claimed to be a libertarian since the 'Politically Incorrect' days. Currently he claims to be a liberal and only claims to share some libertarian ideas.
Can't we all just agree that how one chooses to define them self is pretty much entirely irrelevant. I imagine a lot of people have to switch becasue they can't purely identify with one. I don't. I still call myself liberal, but I also don't think that means I must agree with everything the current liberal party believes. It's this rigid assumption that we are defined by who we voted for in the last election that bothers me.

Regardless, I would say Maher is a liberal, though he's also capable of thinking for himself. Granted, sometimes this leads him to the anti-vaccine BS, but it can also lead to good places.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:12 PM

369 posts, read 193,596 times
Bill Maher's a good comedian. But he has a double-standard of his own on the whole Islam business. He's not pandering to his audience, but to his rich, largely Jewish Los Angeles neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies