Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've always sort have just wrote off Bill Mahr as a leftwing loony, but he's right on the money on a few things, Islam being one of them.

Gotta give him props for that clip, he's pretty far left on most things, but I'm going to start to pay closer attention to what he says, he's obviously a bright guy, whether or not you agree with his politics.
Bill Maher is an equal opportunity basher - if, in his opinion, a topic/policy/person is ludicrous, he will pillory it/them. He speaks against ALL religions on a regular basis. He singles out Islam because its radical fringe is, to use his words, "bat sh*t crazy" and dangerous. However, he has nothing nice to say about Christianity, except that its radical fringe is not as deadly as the Islamic radical fringe - faint praise, indeed.

I love how the right jumps on the Bill Maher bandwagon when a portion of his show is parsed into a sound bite that fits their agenda.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you think Maher's only "mildly anti-Islam", you haven't been watching/listening to him.

He is FAR more anti-Islam than he is any other religion.

Of which he explains why. I and many other "liberals" agree with his sentiment.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of which he explains why. I and many other "liberals" agree with his sentiment.
Sure, I never said he didn't or that his views weren't justifiable.

However, to say he's harder on Christianity than Islam is delusional, and that's what I was responding to.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
While I'm not a fan of him, he's at least consistent. I'm not sure if I can say the same for that Canadian politician however.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Which is why he recently had Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson as guests, and was clearly thrilled about it.

Clearly, Maher is important enough to spread lies about.
While Maher may agree with those two in general he has to have people on the other side of issues to have a show. We are going to a bad place politically if we expect only those who agree with the host to be on a show. And if any guest says something we don't agree with then the host is against us But I am afraid that horse is long ago out of the barn with major "news" networks dedicated to pushing specific political parties and politicians refusing to appear on"the other side's" major networks.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sometimes Bill Maher does get on my nerves, especially when he starts an anti-South rant (we're not all evangelical fanatics), but I gotta say I enjoyed watching him make a fool of that woman from Canada about the Syrian refugees.
I don't know. I don't think she or any others that hold her views see it as making a fool. As a matter of fact, I was told recently that many canadians seem to have her train of thought. I don't know how of much of that is true though.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
While Maher may agree with those two in general he has to have people on the other side of issues to have a show. We are going to a bad place politically if we expect only those who agree with the host to be on a show. And if any guest says something we don't agree with then the host is against us But I am afraid that horse is long ago out of the barn with major "news" networks dedicated to pushing specific political parties and politicians refusing to appear on"the other side's" major networks.
I like maher exactly because he always includes a conservative pundit or two on his panels, and encourages lively disagreement. Not long ago on his show, chris matthews got into an (over)heated exchange with a conservative guest. Maher ended it by raising his voice and telling matthews "stop shouting at my guest!" Which is another thing I like about maher's hosting - he is liberal himself, usually (but not always) agrees with his liberal guests, but he does not support using conservatives as punching bags. No echo chamber here.

He's on hbo, and they pretty much let him alone.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I ask this in all fairness.

He lies through withholding information to make his leftish statements have more weight. Unemployment is an example. He calls is 5% like Obama who lies with ever breath, but the non participation numbers near 95 million, so we have complete economic failure with 30% unemployment with social programs.
That is Great Depression numbers he is hiding there.

I agree with him about Muslims, so he may have some love of country in there somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies