Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:30 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is a weak strawman argument. We advocate for tougher background checks on gun sales, not to "judge all gun owners." It's the common sense thing to do, since guns are killing tools.

You shouldn't judge an entire religion or race of people based off the actions of a few because that would be considered bigotry. Acting on it is discrimination, which is illegal..

Neither can run out of money because they are funded by the United States government, which is monetarily sovereign. That means it is not limited in its ability to issue currency to "pay" its bills. In reality, the U.S. government creates money by spending. Read up on fractional reserve banking.

Opin...

I usually enjoy reading your posts because they provide a different point of view. These two pints you've made..I have to wonder what you're drinking.

I'm not sure who you refer to as "we", but I'll assume (yes, I know), you mean Liberals. A large amount of posters here assume (here we go again) that guns are the problem. We can debate this until the cows come home but I doubt we will ever come to an agreement.

Secondly, saying the government will never run out of money is odd. If the government can make money appear out of thin air, why won't they make us all millionaires? Could it be because of artificial inflation? I'm not suggesting there is a finite amount of wealth, but to assume the government can spend money infinitely is foolish. The money has to come from somewhere unless all money and wealth is just imaginary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) We are advised to not judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun-owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

2) Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group worked for their money, but the second didn't.

Funny how that works.
Very good questions !!! Looking forward to seeing the responses !!!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Very good questions !!! Looking forward to seeing the responses !!!
Look up.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) We are advised to not judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun-owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

2) Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group worked for their money, but the second didn't.

Funny how that works.
1. Because a Muslim is not a weapon.

2. Is it not the GOP calling to privatize Social Security or claim it is insolvent, while Democratic candidates are saying just the opposite?

Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Opin...

I usually enjoy reading your posts because they provide a different point of view. These two pints you've made..I have to wonder what you're drinking.

I'm not sure who you refer to as "we", but I'll assume (yes, I know), you mean Liberals. A large amount of posters here assume (here we go again) that guns are the problem. We can debate this until the cows come home but I doubt we will ever come to an agreement.

Secondly, saying the government will never run out of money is odd. If the government can make money appear out of thin air, why won't they make us all millionaires? Could it be because of artificial inflation? I'm not suggesting there is a finite amount of wealth, but to assume the government can spend money infinitely is foolish. The money has to come from somewhere unless all money and wealth is just imaginary.
I would like to jump on this wagon with a question too. How can Social Security ever be in trouble or run out of money and why would it be necessary to lower benefits or raise the age if the government can print money to pay back what it misappropriated ?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I would like to jump on this wagon with a question too. How can Social Security ever be in trouble or run out of money and why would it be necessary to lower benefits or raise the age if the government can print money to pay back what it misappropriated ?

Then why are we running around talking about government shutdowns? We don't run out of money, right?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
There you guys go again lumping ALL liberals together ... isn't the point of the thread to show groups shouldn't be lumped together?

1. I am a 'Liberal" and I don't l stereotype ANY group based on a few wackos, but the right seems to do it a lot.
2. The only ones that seem to talk about SS going broke are Right Wingers wishing to cut it, *hint* SS isn't any where near going "broke"..

Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
There you guys go again lumping ALL liberals together ... isn't the point of the thread to show groups shouldn't be lumped together?

1. I am a 'Liberal" and I don't l stereotype ANY group based on a few wackos, but the right seems to do it a lot.
2. The only ones that seem to talk about SS going broke are Right Wingers wishing to cut it, *hint* SS isn't any where near going "broke"..

Exactly who is lumping all Liberals together? I know I didn't. Now, who is lumping a group together?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You shouldn't judge an entire religion or race of people based off the actions of a few because that would be considered bigotry. Acting on it is discrimination, which is illegal.
Discrimination against whites and males is perfectly legal and practiced all the time.

Most liberals support racial discrimination against whites and gender discrimination against males.

It follows that most liberals are bigots (according to your definition of the term) and are therefore in no position to condemn bigotry in others.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 AM

285 posts, read 176,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Discrimination against whites and males is perfectly legal and practiced all the time.

Most liberals support racial discrimination against whites and gender discrimination against males.

It follows that most liberals are bigots (according to your definition of the term) and are therefore in no position to condemn bigotry in others.
Crying "reverse racism" is what a dominant group does when they're called out for being prejudiced against minorities. It's a load of rubbish that is utilised to uphold power structures in times when they are challenged. Whites (and especially white men) do not face real discrimination and likely never will.

Exposing the prejudices that someone from a dominant group imposes on minorities is NOT discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies