Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Well when you get down to it that is EXACTLY what guns are for, to kill SOMETHING.
**Yeah, a small percentage of guns are for target shooting**

Although I consider myself "Liberal" I am NOT in favor of gun bans.

My argument isnt for gun bans, its more for the regulation of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Funny how Democrats like King Hillary refuse to use the term "Islamic extemists" and instead prefer the term "jihadists" ... when in reality "jihadist" is a term which encompasses a much vaster array of the Muslim population. Muslims have been telling us Jihadist, does not necessarily mean holy war, The Arabic word "jihad" is often translated as "holy war," but in a purely linguistic sense, the word " jihad" means struggling or striving.

So what is it?

"Peaceful" Muslim to me means the non practicing Muslims who don't take their holy book literally.

Re: Bolded text - Same here. What I find scary is that those who are not taking their holy book literally could easily be converted by said holy book should they decide to take it literally in the future. I would feel much better if Muslims would denounce the passages in the Koran that tell them to kill infidels (anyone who doesn't believe as they do).

Old 11-27-2015, 09:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are not advised to judge all gun owners. You are advised to judge a gun as a weapon,created for the sole purpose of ending the life of a living creature.
Let's say for the sake of argument you are correct. If law abiding citizens are disarmed (and yes this is the goal of progressives) will criminals, and the government also be disarmed? How will disarming law abiding citizens make us safer?

Can you explain how more people are murdered with fists and feet than with rifles? Should we outlaw fists and feet as well?

Guns are tools, which can be used for good and/or bad. You should fear an armed government far more than an armed citizenry.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Like Christianity, I am sure Islam comes in many flavors, some taking the Koran more literally than others. I have a good friend who comes from an Islamic background and they are completely normal people and even drink alcohol, something fundamentalist Muslims cannot do. To fundamentalist Christians who take the Bible literally, Islam can not be a peaceful religion because it can't be when you take the Koran literally. They view the Koran in the same way as they view the Bible. Therefore, peaceful Muslims are not true Muslims. However, remember that to them, a Christian that supports marriage equality, evolution, and separation of church and state isn't a true Christian either.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 AM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) We are advised to not judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun-owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Come on bmw, there's sort of an unwritten rule that if you are going to post something and it's not your words that you attribute it. What you posted is an old facebook viral meme that's been making it's rounds since at least Jan 2014 and it's already been discussed here, here, here and here

Old 11-27-2015, 09:58 AM

24 posts, read 10,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Let's say for the sake of argument you are correct. If law abiding citizens are disarmed (and yes this is the goal of progressives) will criminals, and the government also be disarmed? How will disarming law abiding citizens make us safer?

Can you explain how more people are murdered with fists and feet than with rifles? Should we outlaw fists and feet as well?

Guns are tools, which can be used for good and/or bad. You should fear an armed government far more than an armed citizenry.
This. Though I'm a liberal in many respects, I never understood how harsher gun control laws on thoroughly background-checked, law abiding people would stem gun violence.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Im not a progressive, Im a liberal, and even so, i would not say what you claim is a goal of progressive, so you are arguing on a false premise.

further more, 32,000 people killed with guns, i would say in regards to your question, there would be a lot more people who are alive if we didnt have guns, but again, that is a response to your question, not my opinion on whether or not we should ban them.

your fist and feet argument is a fallacy as well, neither fist of feet are meant to kill, although i doubt the same number of people are killed by being trampled or beat up in the US as being shot(negating the smaller of the 2 points). In fact, i would think the number of people trampled to deaht in the US is in the low hundreds, if not less

Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphatic View Post
This. Though I'm a liberal in many respects, I never understood how harsher gun control laws on thoroughly background-checked, law abiding people would stem gun violence.
You should check out some of the studies of where guns used in crimes come from. Many of them are bought in private sales(no background check) and then sold.

So making background checks universal would make us safer.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Read her facebook page. I define rabid christian as anyone for whom a majority of their posts are quoting scripture, or discussing their religion.

What would you consider "rabid christian"?
Didn't know she had a FB page.

So, one who loves the Lord and loves scripture must be a "rabid Christian," then. I thought that's what we were supposed to do, as Christians. Ha! I guess I'm rabid, then!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
She was raised a Muslim. I must have missed the part where she said she was a Christian, and a "rabid Christian at that." What is a "rabid Christian?"
Someone who at any moment could break out into a random act of love or charity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies