Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do the police shootings make you feel?
The police are armed and dangerous to civil society 16 10.81%
98% are good cops who do their job with competence. 98 66.22%
Insecure and afraid that I,or my family members, may become a victim. 9 6.08%
We have become a military state with too much power in their hands. 37 25.00%
I am white and I feel safe. 15 10.14%
A good way to reduce poverty and race problems. 5 3.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

For those that fear or hate law enforcement, at least be honest to your ideals and do not dial 911 in an emergency, Thanks in advance for your honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Do the recent shooting of police of African Americans, an old Indian man in Alabama who was out for a walk, of children, of women, the abuse of the student in classroom, refusal to give up recorded data - how do these make you feel about the police in general and the police related incidents around the country?

In my town - 90% white, suburban - I always felt comfortable and friendly toward the police. On the whole I think they are fine and they have a tough and dangerous job to do, for which they are well equipped and armed.

Now I feel unsure. My confidence in the general population of police has diminished. I have doubt that they that they are competent, in good mental health, and do not carry baggage that makes them, quite simply, armed murderers.

How do YOU feel?
"How do YOU feel?"

I fell those that publish false information about the real facts ought to be charged and punished for "false accusations"

If those "false accusations" cause riots to happen, they should also be punished for inciting a riot.

It seems to me that the press and some politicians, jump to conclusions BEFORE all the facts are in.

The Michael Brown case is a perfect example.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
For those that fear or hate law enforcement, at least be honest to your ideals and do not dial 911 in an emergency, Thanks in advance for your honesty.
That makes no sense.

If law enforcement is going around doing things that cause the American people to hate it and fear it, the solution is to reform law enforcement. Becoming a vigilante is not going to reduce your risk.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Do the recent shooting of police of African Americans, an old Indian man in Alabama who was out for a walk, of children, of women, the abuse of the student in classroom, refusal to give up recorded data - how do these make you feel about the police in general and the police related incidents around the country?

In my town - 90% white, suburban - I always felt comfortable and friendly toward the police. On the whole I think they are fine and they have a tough and dangerous job to do, for which they are well equipped and armed.

Now I feel unsure. My confidence in the general population of police has diminished. I have doubt that they that they are competent, in good mental health, and do not carry baggage that makes them, quite simply, armed murderers.

How do YOU feel?

I think they are 99% or more good. I think there are some who break down from all the violence and negativity they face daily. Sometimes they lose it before their superiors know it.
I still think the public breaks down far more than the police ever would. Seems to be lots of ego among the ignorant who think resisting arrest or not cooperating with the police can end well.

I think it is mostly the public acting out stupidly rather than the police. But there are the rare instances where there are problems with some of the police as well, but I think that number is minuscule.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

I'm a person who is respectful to others, especially LEO. Almost every shooting I've seen has been directly related to the fool they were talking to, getting disrespectful to the officers. Totally avoidable.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That makes no sense.

If law enforcement is going around doing things that cause the American people to hate it and fear it, the solution is to reform law enforcement. Becoming a vigilante is not going to reduce your risk.
If you say so. What needs to be reformed? I can see more cameras and open investigations into wrong doing but the vast majority of LEOs are good men and women doing a fine job and doing a job almost no one else would want or could do. No one said be a vigilante, I said do not use the same LEOs you may seem to hate and fear, that would be honesty and common sense. Oh by the way protecting ones self or property is not vigilantism it is simply good sense.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I think most officers are good people with the best of intentions.

I dont believe they are always trained properly and are always acting lawfully and infringe on some peoples civil rights.

They have a strict code of no snitching where they dont tell on the bad officers.

I dont believe some should be hired to serve when they can't show the ability to relate to different people in different situations in life. They need to know how to deal with the Black thug on the street as well as the Black person who is walking home from work and then turn around and deal with the immigrant family and the White thug as well. There has to be consistency and everyone needs to be treated lawfully.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
I find it strange you did not include "I am not white and I feel safe."

Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you say so. What needs to be reformed?
just off the top of my head, they need to stop:

-seizing peoples' assets.
-beating the **** out of people who aren't resisting
-getting drunk while on-duty and threatening people
-shooting people in the back as they run away
-lie about shooting people in the back as they ran away
-threatening people who videotape them
-secretly wiretap communications without a warrant
-executing no-knock warrants / throwing flashbangs into a baby's crib
-shooting people because they are annoyed at them

..and that's just a few obvious issues within the past few years that happened to cross my mind. It doesn't even touch onto the race-specific issues of American police.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I didn't vote, since I don't really like any of the choices - I think most cops are competent, but it bothers me - *a lot* - when the bad actors get away with their behavior.

Something that I think may be having an affect on police behavior is that since 9/11, the military has gotten involved in training cops.

I think this is a very bad idea. I understand why a soldier is taught to treat anyone acting in specific ways as a potential enemy soldier, but I don't think it's a good idea for a police officer to take this same view.

I did vote in the poll that I believe 98% are good cops, but I do agree with the above in that it bothers me and makes me less confident about the police force of a particular area in general when they consistently are not punished for murdering, harrassing, or beating up lay citizens for no good reason.

FWIW, I am black and I have had some issues with police, especially when I lived in Atlanta, GA where they used to have VERY aggressive policing and they commonly harrassed me and my family and my neighbors. They also shot and killed a 92 year old woman a few blocks away from my house around this time about 9 years ago. After that, they started to get a bit better, but IMO, they still commonly harrass citizens too often and in metro Atlanta in general, I think they have a problem in regards to their overall punishing of officers who commit violent or harrassing acts against the public.

I was VERY afraid of the police in Atlanta for many years due to my interactions with them. I went out of my way to never call them as I didn't trust that they wouldn't criminalize me or my husband in particular who was consistently harrassed for no good reason by them. Once, while moving to a new place, the old place where I was moving out from was broken into and robbed and this was near the time when I had my own incident with the police and so I didn't even call them because I was afraid of what they might do to me. In general, I am very wary of them and don't trust that they are looking out for me, even though I do know that the majority of them are not bad cops.

So for me, it is a very precarious viewpoint of law enforcement. I now live in an area that has a very professional department IMO so I am not afraid of them like I was in Atlanta (and FWIW, most of the negative interactions I've had with officers in Atlanta, they were black officers. Where I live now the majority of the PD is white and I haven't had any issues with them thus far so I don't consider it a "white officer" thing versus a "black officer" thing as IMO many times black officers are worse than white ones).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies