Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
The previous 5 mass extinctions were also due to man, right? Right? Bueller?

Ohh right. The world goes through huge periods of extinction and evolution but THIS ONE is on the human population. Thats right! It's all our fault.

What we need to do is study this problem more. So if the governments of the world can send a blank check to:

OMG! We're All Gonna Die Science Inc.
100 Climates Change Way
Crazytown, California
we can make the same arguments about global warming/climate change/whatever they are calling it now. all previous occurrences are natural, but because humans are around today its all the humans fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
At some juncture, human life and quite possibly all life on planet earth will become extinct. Will it be next year or a thousand years from now, no-one is really sure. Will it be from human intervention or perhaps a major collision with another meteor?
Again, no-one actually knows. The fact is, in the meantime, we all live as to the best of our ability on this planet we share. Our policies are dictated to us from the powers that be. Always have been and always will be. I believe in voting, but in all actuality it is an exercise of futility...
scientists figure in about 2.5-3 billion years from now, the earth will be essentially a dead planet as our sun ages and becomes much hotter than it is today. before it is all over, and the sun becomes a white dwarf after blowing off its atmosphere, the earth will be reduced to a cinder at best.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you ready to restrict human migration in order to address these issues?
Maybe we should promote birth control instead of forsaking it............

Old 11-24-2015, 04:08 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh really...

just what is '''normal'''

the american cheetah went extinct in 11000 bc

the eastern elk went extinct in 1880

1000's came extinct over the last 10,000 years...the rate is not increasing,, its all part of evolution (survival of the fittest), its just we are tracking it better

If you choose to pretend these trends are not occurring, nothing science nor I can convince you of such.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So, let me guess what the proposed solution is. Bear with me here.

The solution being proposed is massive tax increases and redistribution of wealth programs, overseen by leftists who will determine who gets the money, and a lot more intrusive control over people's lives, with the left presiding.

Amiright?
Exactly. Every crisis is an opportunity to increase government and control of the people.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Extinctions are occurring 114 times the normal rate, that is just not natural......
But, if we wait long enough many more species will evolve and they will be able to cope with the new environment. Problem solved.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Maybe we should promote birth control instead of forsaking it............
Wars will deplete the population.

Problem solved.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
If you choose to pretend these trends are not occurring, nothing science nor I can convince you of such.
What about those of us who, you know, teach science for a living? Do we know less than you?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Well maybe we will luck out and a giant meteor or mega volcano will get us first.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Are you really this dense?!? Maybe you're the one that must be 12. You truly think that we are special simply because we have "technology", that a keyboard and smartphone make us any different?
LOL. What other organisms have a written language? Seems pretty special....

Quote:
Did you ever take a biology course above high school level? (BTW, I've repeatedly stated that I actually teach the biological and physical sciences at the college level but you seem to overlook that point). If you had, you would have learned that EVERY ORGANISM ALTERS ITS ENVIRONMENT IN SOME WAY, GENIUS!! Every damn one!!! We are no different on that account.

Go back to school and stop making a fool out of yourself!
It was my mistake assuming you were intelligent enough to stay within the context of a thread on mass extinction.

Aside from us and some other phytoplanktons, which other organism(s) have the ability to cause mass extinctions?

Quote:
Actually, I teach it. But you missed that point, again and again. I've probably forgotten more about biodiversity than you've ever learned, but you keep going on about my age from some reason. (44 to be exact).

And Biodiversity comes because of change!!! The entire environment is fluid - ever-changing. When the change stops is when stagnation occurs. But maybe you missed that day in your biology class.

LOL.
So in the context of the thread about mass extinction, why are you delving into semantics battle? What other organism(s) have as high as an impact on biodiversity as humans?

Quote:
You might think you're special, but to the environment, this planet, and this universe, you are the equivalent to a flea turd. The environment doesn't care about your 60' LED HDTV. And it will see things in the future that you couldn't possibly imagine. It will be here until that sun burns our planet to ash. But you are stuck in your arrogant plane of existence that states you are better than anything else on this planet. This is called hubris, bud.
No it's called survival. As a teacher of biology or whatever you claim to be you know the lengths an organism will go to survive and propagate.

You can put words in my mouth about "being special" but that has zero to do with the subject and only shows your ignorance on the matter.

Quote:
So we see personal attacks on the messenger - but little substance spent on the message. Hmm.
We see a complete lack of understanding the basics of both ecology, evolution, and basic planetary history from you.
We have hyperbole and exaggeration to install fear in others simply to reinforce their own beliefs - just like a good religious type.
Nope it's called staying on topic. This is a thread about humans causing mass extinction on our planet due to our actions. It's pretty straightforward.

Last edited by dv1033; 11-24-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I really have to wonder if you are aware of the irony of choosing to call me a denier while you claim climate change isn't a religion. You might as well call me an apostate or a heretic

What you and your ilk fail to understand is that SKEPTICISM, which is what I am, a SKEPTIC, actually
makes for better science.

Calling the science settled, attempting to ridicule skeptics as non-believers or deniers and claiming consensus has nothing to do with science, it has everything to do with politics and dogma.
It's pretty straightforward. We've been releasing gigatons annually of greenhouse gases that have been stored for hundreds of millions of years as hydrocarbons. Our planet can only process so much annually, relative to how long it takes for oil, nat gas, and coal to form. Do you disagree that humans have the ability to alter the climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies