Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,097,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.

As always the deniers will deny, the believers will believe. A little fun fact, if we kill the earth, there is no place else to go.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,460,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
and meanwhile in reality, these liberals continue the LIE of 'man-made'

man's contribution of co2....less than 3%

Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,110,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
We are just as much a part of nature as the trees in your yard, the bacteria in your feces and the fungus on a sloth's back. Didn't you ever take a science class. My god, you need to shut up... do you know what you look like when you talk like this?
Someone help me out here...how do you discuss a scientific topic with someone who couldn't spell science w/o spellcheck? It's like trying to discuss politics with a house plant.
LOL. What are you like 12?

Which other organism can type on a keyboard? I'm sorry if you can't differentiate between the human's ability to alter it's environment verses every other organism.

Quote:
That is very much the point. Listen closely... WE CAN'T DESTROY THE EARTH. You and your ilk keep saying this like a mantra, but repeating it over and over again just doesn't make it so. Who's being dense?!?!
Who's talking about destroying the world? We are talking about destroying the biodiversity on this planet.... Did they teach you about biodiversity in class or you just not to 9th grade yet?

Quote:
So what?!? We don't go on. Yes, it sucks, but that is going to happen anyway. it might be a hundred years from now or it might take evolution millions of years to make us something very much different than what we are today (making our current selves non-existent). But when- or however, it is going to take place, as we are a natural part of things. You don't think that - of the 100's of millions of species that have gone on before us - none of them caused their own demise? You don't think that they may have caused others go before them? My god, man... this is nature at its best.
LOL.

Quote:
Or do you think that man is somehow special? That we don't count as a part of nature - set above it somehow? be careful, you'll start to sound like those evolution-denying, Bible-thumping flat-earthers you rail against. (hypocrite).
LOL. Of course we are special..... again... what other organism is able to type on a keyboard?

You're personal attacks and logical fallacies are entirely amusing.

Quote:
Yes, we could destroy it for a vast majority of our population, but again,
And you wouldn't feel bad for causing a major extinction event?

Quote:
name me one species on this planet that still exists today in the same form from which it emerged at the dawn of time. I beg you, please. But I know you can't do this, because it simply isn't possible.
Yawn. Strawman. Stay on topic if you can. However, bacteria would be the closest thing, most likely the ones near a vent at the bottom of the ocean.

Quote:
Nothing has. Change - like extinction - is inevitable for everything. And that includes us homo sapiens - you know, those mammals that are very much a part of the natural systems?!? I know this, because I actually have been teaching science at the college level for over 20 years.
Are you saying if an asteroid is coming towards Earth and will be the largest extinction event ever, you are just fine with it? ... since it's nature... and like... extinction... is totally inevitable for everything... like you know?

Quote:
Me rambling?!?! Hi, Pot. My name's Kettle.
And yet another hypocrite to add to this list.
Run along little boy or girl.

Last edited by dv1033; 11-24-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
The point above is exactly how this movement has become more like a religion than science and the alarmists refuse to see this.

Religions have started for the same underlying reasons. Nature is massive and initially incomprehensible. We invent stories to comfort ourselves, and, as these stories grow, we eventually include a degree of CONTROL in them. First it's actual Gods that we can pray to, who have control over the elements, then as science and our understanding grew, we imagine that WE can fully understand and then change the climate to be some ideal that has never existed. Pure hubris!

For Modern Man, being utterly and completely at the mercy of Nature is UNACCEPTABLE. So we've made ourselves the CAUSE of every bad thing that happens with the climate (Just about everything, is blamed on global warming, including non-climate related things, like terrorism) ... and we've made ourselves the CURE as well. We really think that we can control the climate or force it into this ideal state.

And like all good religions, there are heretics and infidels (the skeptics), there are the fire and brimstone preachers (Al Gore, James Hansen, Ehrlich, etc), there is a hell (climate with runaway warming) and there is a heaven (whatever ideal climate they are shooting for where we all live in harmony with nature).
LOL.

Creationists called evolution a religion. And now...

Deniers call climate change a religion.

Same BS, different day.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and meanwhile in reality, these liberals continue the LIE of 'man-made'

man's contribution of co2....less than 3%
What about total greenhouse gases?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
What about total greenhouse gases?
uhm...the biggest 'greenhouse' gas....WATER VAPOR

Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,145,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
As always the deniers will deny, the believers will believe. A little fun fact, if we kill the earth, there is no place else to go.
Hey sparky, you wanna explain to me and the rest of us how we go about being planet killers?

Be specific now, how do you kill a planet?

I mean, Hell, the asteroids couldn't do it, the super-volcanoes couldn't do it. How many other catastrophes has the earth undergone, and yet, it's still here?!?!

So, how do we do it?

Oh... I see. You were engaging in hyperbole... you were exaggerating the situation by using choice words to elicit a specific response (terror, fear, etc.,) by the morons who don't better. Gotcha.

Try again.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...the biggest 'greenhouse' gas....WATER VAPOR
And?

What about methane, sox, nox, and Co2? How about the synthetic ones?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
LOL.

Creationists called evolution a religion. And now...

Deniers call climate change a religion.

Same BS, different day.
I could give two craps about religion

but something created this marvel 4 billion years ago

evolution...yes we have evolved....some not so much..they still do the sky is falling cry

what is evolution...survival of the fittest, its nature....but you have the fascist liberals out there that think we must protect the poorest, the weakest, and that we can change nature...they really need to get off their highhorses

same crap diffent day...liberals crying about something, having the EGO so big that they think they can fight nature

our earth is CURRENTLY warming...and its natural.....at some point we will hit the HISTORICAL AVERAGE point of about 73' for a global average (its the peak warm that has happened many, many, many time)...THEN we will start cooling again..heading to another ice age......look at the history... a dozen warm(tropical) periods followed by a dozen ice ages

Old 11-24-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
And?

What about methane, sox, nox, and Co2? How about the synthetic ones?
human contribution to ALL greenhouse toatals less than 6%

enough with the sky is falling cries of the fascist liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies