Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,094,572 times

Advertisements

Freedom means having the ability to leave.

Nice spin by the way...the leftie fallback position..."look at all of the corporate welfare they got!". A) Allowing a corporation to KEEP more of their own money is NOT welfare. B) Lower the overall corporate tax rate or change the current tax plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
As for Pfizer....what they are doing is unAmerican. they want the benefits of being based in America, without paying the costs. Sounds like a lot of folks on CD actually....
When did it become American to be penalized for being American?

Quote:
They aren't moving their operations overseas in this case. you know that right? Nothing is changing really...just where they claim to be based. Apparently you dont grasp the issue.
I asked about companies who have moved operations overseas, not Pfizer.

Avoiding the question?

Why do companies move their operations overseas?

Quote:
What about Kansas? Really? If you have to ask then you havent been paying attention to the pretty dramatic results of a state trying to follow this sort of race to the bottom nonsense.
So, does that mean you actually don't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Kansas tried your radical experiment of lowering taxes to nothing and cutting all servves and all that has happened is that its economy cratered.
What specifically did they try and what were the direct results of those changes?

Old 11-24-2015, 02:43 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,435,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Freedom means having the ability to leave.

Nice spin by the way...the leftie fallback position..."look at all of the corporate welfare they got!". A) Allowing a corporation to KEEP more of their own money is NOT welfare. B) Lower the overall corporate tax rate or change the current tax plan.
Except they aren't leaving. They are staying right here. Its a fiction. We're not discussing a company leaving the country, we're discussing them staying, and claiming to be based elsewhere.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:43 PM

23,644 posts, read 17,325,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
How about Pfizer stop charging us double and triple the price for the same drug sold overseas for less? How about the stop prohibiting generics from being allowed into the market?
Matter of different economies in different countries and purchasing deals.

Drug discovery is serendipty despite all the computerized, automated screening for new and novel compounds. the cost incurred in preclinical and clinical research would stun you. More drugs fail than are approved. money down the drain.

Where is your elected representative? Bet you were okay with being told, 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it". how about that cosmically underestimated cost for a new healthcare system and projected 2,500$$ savings and hyper rising healthcare and insurance costs? Hey, how about that deal the drug companies made with obama admin to get taxpayer cash to make up for profit not reaching an agreed amount promised by the feds.

Oh, Pfizer is going to continue discovering and marketing life saving drugs..... how lucky can you get. Maybe the move to Ireland will drop research costs and market price?

Place the blame where it belongs.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
And the Pharmas can sell drugs at astronomical prizes in the USA and not anywhere else in the world thanks to congress.! A republican principle!
What bills specific bills have the Democrats put forward that would make it illegal for pharma companies to sell in the US for more than other countries?

Old 11-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Except they aren't leaving. They are staying right here. Its a fiction. We're not discussing a company leaving the country, we're discussing them staying, and claiming to be based elsewhere.
Only because our screwed up laws allow them to do so, but if you changed it so they couldn't they would actually move elsewhere.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When did it become American to be penalized for being American?
When was it OK to get all the benefits without any of the costs?
Quote:
I asked about companies who have moved operations overseas, not Pfizer.

Avoiding the question?

Why do companies move their operations overseas?
If you want to discuss that nonsense that create a topic about it. This is about pfizer and inversions. Changing the topic?

Quote:
So, does that mean you actually don't know?
Research my post history, I have discussed it at length. I dont feel like reposting it because of your claimed ignorance on the topic.

Quote:
What specifically did they try and what were the direct results of those changes?
See above. Google it and educate yourself. A easy google search. Use this term:
Kansas disaster

Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only because our screwed up laws allow them to do so, but if you changed it so they couldn't they would actually move elsewhere.
LOL. No they would not.
We do agree on one thing, screwed up laws allow them to do so. Course it helps to have massive numbers of people working on finding ways around the existing laws.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,983,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
and how much corporate welfare did Prifzer take from taxpayers over the years?
Wonderful question!

I would love to know the answer.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
When was it OK to get all the benefits without any of the costs?
Is it your claim that Pfizer isn't paying any taxes?

Quote:
If you want to discuss that nonsense that create a topic about it. This is about pfizer and inversions. Changing the topic?
Is is about the topic. Pfizer is doing this for financial reasons just as so many companies have moved operations to other countries.

Raising taxes has a financial cost to companies which increases the incentive to make changes to lower those costs.

You seem to think companies are in business to make jobs and pay taxes, but that is not the case. Companies are in business to make money.

Quote:
Research my post history, I have discussed it at length. I dont feel like reposting it because of your claimed ignorance on the topic.
I'm not ignorant on the topic, I just wanted to let yourself be shown to not understand the problem.

What are the five top industries in Kansas?

They are:
1. Agriculture
2. Cattle Production
3. Energy - oil and gas
4. Aviation
5. Non-fuel Industrial Minerals

What has happened to these industries since 2012 when the tax cuts were made.

Well, Kansas has been in a severe drought from 2012 to 2014 and saw little relief in 2015.

I'm not going to explain to you the affects of a drought to the top two industries nor what that also does to tax revenue from those industries. Every reasonable person will understand it.

We know what has happened to the energy industry starting about 14 months ago that has had a major impact on them.

The global downturn hit the aviation industry very hard and especially in Kansas.

Recession hit aviation industry hard, taking 11,000 Wichita jobs | The Wichita Eagle

I'm not sure what has happened in the non-fuel industrial mineral industry, but it's quite apparent that the top four industries have taken major hits. Obviously, you won't be able to understand the affects of this, but everyone who does will see how that was responsible for the problems Kansas is facing.

Quote:
See above. Google it and educate yourself. A easy google search. Use this term:
Kansas disaster
I have no doubt that you can find a whole bunch of articles parroting bad information, but anybody who bother to research the true causes knows better.

Quote:
LOL. No they would not.
We do agree on one thing, screwed up laws allow them to do so. Course it helps to have massive numbers of people working on finding ways around the existing laws.
So, maybe you'd agree with the TEA Party that our tax system needs a major overhaul that includes simplification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies