Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then just sit back and watch the trickle of individuals and companies kiss their US allegiance goodbye.
Yep. Already happening.

Quote:
The US is the only first world country that taxes global income.
Exactly! Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,302,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I defend business, because business is the economic engine that provides jobs, increased standard of living, tax revenue, innovation, etc. etc.

Why do you vote for Democrat candidates that invest, work for and take profits from big corporate America?

Are you going to tell us how you feel about Michelle Obama working at the firm Sidley Austin doing intellectual property, patent law, for big business?
You are preaching to the choir! I happen to agree with Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand. However, I do not defend crony capitalism as you always do.

Crony capitalism is not the free market.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,948,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Dishonest says the person who tries to deflect the topic from taxes...to whether someone pays less then the top 1%. What? Don't want to talk about disposable income? Don't want to discuss actual rates?
To be fair 90% of the top 1% get eat up in income taxes. That's your doctor's, successful engineers, and the rest of the upper-professional class of America. It's the top .1% that doesn't pay squat as a percentage of their income.

And if corporations in the US really wanted the statutory corporate tax rate changed, it would have happened a long time ago. Just the act of "moving" a business comes with all kinds of tax breaks and a high corporate tax rate is offset by a super low federal income tax rate for those who run these businesses.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are preaching to the choir! I happen to agree with Milton Friedman and Ayn Rand. However, I do not defend crony capitalism as you always do.

Crony capitalism is not the free market.
WRONG!!!

Crony capitalism is the friend of large government, which I am not.

Crony capitalism includes things like the sweetheart deal Obama gave the insurance companies under ACA. It's the bank bailouts. It's the complicated tax system that provides breaks for the larger corporations. It's the buddy buddy system which allows politicians to hook up their family members, friends and donors with all sorts of business benefits.

If you have read what I write, you'd know that I hate crony capitalism.

I'm guessing your claim comes from being butt hurt by me pointing out that you weren't paying attention and made an ignorant comment.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,042,185 times
If what you say is the truth, why, oh why would so many U.S. companies choose to move their domeciles elsewhere, Ireland, Canada, Bermuda and so on?
Quote:
Why do people keep repeating this lie? Seriously. WHY?

We DO have a high statutory rate, but we end up having a VERY low effective rate. Do you even comprehend the difference? These companies are doing it for only a small tax rate change. And people like you seem to want us to "race to the bottom". Know how that ends?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM

If it is legal, then it is not a loophole, other than in the mind of people who equate legal use of the tax codes with being immoral. Speaking of staying on point, since I started the thread on the basis of governments setting tax law and policy, then they had no further to look than politicians of all stripes. That is who people like yourself need to focus.

Not corporations who follow and use the tax code as written, legally. Please try your best to stay on topic.

Quote:
OH noes!! Someone is talking about the incredibly wealthy avoiding taxes! Lets grab that water bucket, and go on about how the incredibly poor aren't paying enough!

Really? Stay on topic folks, we're talking about a company based in the US exploiting a loophole to claim they are based elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 AM

Ireland, Canada and Bermuda are hardly third world countries.
Quote:
And of course your solution is a race to the bottom where the US becomes some 3rd world country unable to pay their bills, all in the name of providing big business with even more massive incomes.

Last edited by earthlyfather; 11-25-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 AM

I believe it is the FDA, (if not the FDA, then another federal government bureaucracy), that grants approval and exclusive - for a set number of years - license for drugs. Holding back generics. So, again, look to the politicians when complaining about this. What Pfizer does is follow the law established by politicians and or bureaucracies granted the latitude to establish the details.

Sort of like in the case PPACA, but that is another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
How about Pfizer stop charging us double and triple the price for the same drug sold overseas for less? How about the stop prohibiting generics from being allowed into the market?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM

If it is a fiction as you contend, then it is a fiction that politicians from both sides of the aisle have crafted through passage of tax laws over the decades. Are you so senile to not get that the boogeyman is not the woman or corporation who follows established law, but the _______ who wrote, negotiated, and passed the laws only to be signed into law by another _______?

Try again to follow the thread topic. What one word will you use to fill in the above blanks?
Quote:
Except they aren't leaving. They are staying right here. Its a fiction. We're not discussing a company leaving the country, we're discussing them staying, and claiming to be based elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:12 AM

As the OP I need to inform you that Pfizer just happened to be handy - news of the day and all. This thread was conceived as, executed as a discussion of the U.S.government's actions or inactions with regard to tax laws. Always, from the get go, in the beginning this is and was the topic. Trust me on that.

Quote:
When was it OK to get all the benefits without any of the costs?

If you want to discuss that nonsense that create a topic about it. This is about pfizer and inversions. Changing the topic?

Research my post history, I have discussed it at length. I dont feel like reposting it because of your claimed ignorance on the topic.

See above. Google it and educate yourself. A easy google search. Use this term:
Kansas disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies