Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Oh no, here we go.
Do you have a counter argument?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's because you do not understand the argument. When a black man kills another black man and is caught, he is sent to prison. When a black man decides to smoke a little weed he gets arrested. When a black man is simply walking down the street the cops come up to him and frisks him.

When a cop shoots someone, no matter the situation justified or not in the vast majority of cases nothing is done.
Actually, every single time there's a shooting of a white cop involving a black suspect, it makes EVERY news outlet in America. The court of public opinion alone is enough to ruin that cop's career, justified or not. How is nothing done? They are investigated by independent sources, brought to trial if necessary, and cops are most certainly held to a higher standard. The fact that people WANT SO BADLY TO BELIEVE IS THAT THESE COPS ARE EVIL RACISTS, and time and time and time again, this is just proven to be a false narrative. So their response is to then scream and cry louder, interrupt campaign speeches, beat up kids in libraries, and shout for the killings of cops while disrupting traffic.

Lumping any group of individuals in any situation is a slippery slope. Their "movement" has chosen the mantra that all cops are bad cops and this is not the views of Joe Normal society. This in turn labels their group as "extremists", which is detrimental to their cause.

They have done a lot to create publicity for themselves. I feel it's going to backfire on them. More and more police forces across the country are raising taxes to fund body cameras, which, just like in real life, show that the shootings of criminals armed or otherwise are 99% of the time justified. This is the exact opposite of what BLM wants to happen, they would not be a movement if all their claims were debunked, and now that they feel they have political pull, trust me, they celebrate when a cop shoots a black man, if gives them a chance to scream and shout and make a power grab.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:44 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Black lives matter. Racism is real. Law enforcement attracts the types that abuse authority. This is also real. But @ssholes are also real. We can recognize the abuse all the way around without discounting the lives of those who actually DO matter.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Actually, every single time there's a shooting of a white cop involving a black suspect, it makes EVERY news outlet in America.
The thread that just got closed was about a white cop shooting a black suspect and it didn't make the national news until now a year later when the officer was finally charged. Since you started our with a fallacious argument I see no reason to read further.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
This is going to take me some time to type but I feel it's important. Yes there have been white cops that shoot unarmed black men. Guess what? There will be more. That being said:

Devonta Grisson age 14 Black
Kevin Jemison age 29 Black
Octavious Lamb age 20 Black
Ulysses Gissendanner age 19 Black
Michael Kozel age 59 White
Myron Brown age 30 Black
David Kartzmark age 25 White
Christopher Lattin Jr. age 15 Black
Taison Moore age 33 Black
Angela Welch age 55 Black
Lavonshay Cooper age 22 Black
Marcus Turner age 19 Black
Tyshawn Blanton age 31 Black
Darvelle Brown age 24 Black
Michael Santiago age 21 White
Ezequial Velasquez age 17 Hispanic
Brian Cross age 31 Black
Tyrone Solsberry age 39 Black
Johnny Taylor age 23 Black
Victor Vega age 15 Hispanic
Marcus Wallace age 33 Black
Ray Dorantes age 14 Hispanic
Damian Barnes age 22 Black
Gregory Bady age 28 Black
Curtis Porter age 51 Black
Tyrone Lawson age 17 Black
Claudia Martinez age 35 Hispanic
Jorge Valdez-Benitez age 18 Hispanic
Marshall Hall age 21 Black
Jovantay Alexander age 19 Black
Layla Stewart age 2 Black
Elton Johnson age 35 Black
Ronald Peters age 50 Black
Dimitri Buford age 33 Black
Ronnie Chambers age 34 Black
Antonio Fenner age 16 Black
Peter Joseph age 34 Black
Alan Smiley age 31 Black
Willie Wilson age 32 Black
Norman Stokes age 38 Black
Gino Angotti age 20 White
Devin Common age 28 Black
Hadiya Pendleton age 15 Black
Vincent Kelly age 56 Black
Manuel Hernandez age 22 Hispanic
Michelle Smith age 32 Black
Salvadore Ponce age 31 Hispanic
Sergio Mora age 19 Hispanic
Christopher Roundtree age 30 Black
Marquis Anderson age 22 Black
Steven Cannon age 29 Black
Frances Colon age 18 Black
Oscar Marquez age 17 Hispanic
Michael Powell age 24 Black
Cherie Adams age 42 Black
Curtria Duncan age 24 Black
Deshawn Williams age 25 Black
Chantelle Jones age 26 Black
Donald Price age 32 Black
Ricardo Rivera age 31 Hispanic
Andres Avitia age 20 Hispanic
William Strickland age 72 Black
Ramon Colon age 24 Hispanic
Raymond Tucker age 24 Black
Johnya Watkins age 0 Black
Sanchez Mixon age 37 Black
Arrelle Monagan age 16 Black
Michelle Manalansan age 29 Unknown
Victor Damian age 15 Hispanic
Edwin Obazuaye age 48 Black
Eber Ochoa-Deleon age 26 Hispanic
Antonio Gray age 26 Black
Kenneth Johnson age 49 White
Antoine Lewis age 22 Black
Eugenio Solano age 23 Hispanic
Akeem Manago age 19 Black
Johnathan Hoskins age 29 Black
Charles Bush age 33 Black
D'angelo Simmons age 22 Black
Dantario White age 33 Black
Michael Orozco age 14 Hispanic
Rollins Stamps age 26 Black
Robert Gholson age 28 Black
Courtney Young age 33 Black
Anthony Camarillo age 18 Hispanic
Julius Campbell age 14 Black
Kevin Sanders age 33 Black
Miguel Cancel age 19 Hispanic
Larry Ranole age 28 Black
Jonathan Santiago age 19 Hispanic
Angelina Rodriguez age 1 Hispanic
Donald Holman age 37 Black
Lucas Zimmerman age 34 White
Ricardo Carlin age 22 Hispanic
Cornelious German age 15 Black
Dane Whitfield age 31 Black
Andrew Prather age 26 Black
Dionta West age 38 Black
Andre Velasquez age 36 Hispanic
Henry Atkins age 39 Black
Tytrell Jackson age 19 Black
Dowanda Williams age 44 Black

This is a list of all of the homicides in Chicago from Jan 1st 2013 to April 30th 2013. ONLY FOUR MONTHS of homicides in one city!

Do you see something glaring at you in this list?
Do these lives matter?

I would have typed more but there's page after page of homicides in Chicago and it was frankly making me sick to my stomach to type so many names.

I googled a few of the names of black victims and surprise, surprise, they were killed by other black people.

Was there a point to this thread?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
If you look at the list, the point I was trying to make is that the majority of these lives lost were young black and hispanic men. I was not trying to make a political point other than to say it's a crying shame that a movement that is crying for "police reform" would consider that more of an injustice than what's going on in the hoods of Urban America. Of course if you read up on the leadership of the Black Lives Matter group, you will find that all of them are college educated, middle-class, live in gated communities and are probably as out of touch as to the REAL plight of the black youth in this country as a middle class white person is.
Where does Chicago’s black middle class live? | City Notes

Quote:
4. Still, the majority of Chicagoans who are middle-class and black live in neighborhoods that are mostly not middle-class – as opposed to Chicagoans who are middle-class and white, for whom the opposite is true.
You may not care about what happens in Black communities. You may think that successful Blacks are as ignorant about what happens in Black communities as you. That's your burden to either fix or accept.

Considering your ignorance about how familiar Black Chicagoans are with life in Black communities, would it be fair to say that you're equally ignorant about what Black Chicagoans in their own communities to fight Black on Black violence?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I really fail to comprehend how the fact of very high black on black homicide means that there is no such thing as race baited antagonism (and homicide) towards black people by law enforcement. Newsflash: black on black homicide is not going away anytime soon. And despite the fact of off the chain black on black violence... blacklivesmatter will continue to hold white law enforcement to a higher standard. If you can't understand why, that isn't my problem.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
This is going to take me some time to type but I feel it's important. Yes there have been white cops that shoot unarmed black men. Guess what? There will be more. That being said:

This is a list of all of the homicides in Chicago from Jan 1st 2013 to April 30th 2013. ONLY FOUR MONTHS of homicides in one city!

Do you see something glaring at you in this list?
Do these lives matter?

I would have typed more but there's page after page of homicides in Chicago and it was frankly making me sick to my stomach to type so many names.
The phrase "black lives matter" is specifically about african american lives in the hands of authority(Police).

No one goes to a cancer walk and says, "you should be worried about heart disease".

Last edited by dsjj251; 11-24-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The thread that just got closed was about a white cop shooting a black suspect and it didn't make the national news until now a year later when the officer was finally charged. Since you started our with a fallacious argument I see no reason to read further.
It's in the news isn't it? Sometimes investigations can take years. Especially in homicide cases where there is no clear cut evidence. In the video that surfaced from Chicago that you're talking about, the 17 black man had what looks like a 13" knife, the cops were called because he was walking down the street stabbing peoples car tires. When the cops approached him he still had the knife in his hands and although at that point I feel the cops had no right to shoot him given what I've seen (Tasers anyone?) the video most certainly would not have occurred if didn't have a giant knife in his hands.

I try to imagine what Internal Affairs or a state prosecutor would look at in this video, and although I think a year is probably too long for this investigation, I'm sure it's a fine line between murder and self-defense when the guy has a huge knife.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I really fail to comprehend how the fact of very high black on black homicide means that there is no such thing as race baited antagonism (and homicide) towards black people by law enforcement. Newsflash: black on black homicide is not going away anytime soon. And despite the fact of off the chain black on black violence... blacklivesmatter will continue to hold white law enforcement to a higher standard. If you can't understand why, that isn't my problem.
No I understand completely, I just think that their name is misnamed. They should have thought their name through more thoroughly.

What is the higher standard that specifically white cops need to be held to as opposed to black cops, Asian cops, Hispanic cops?

To me, when a group targets specifically white cops as you say, then they are as racist as the groups they claim to be victims of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies