Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are those who believe any grant gave to a religious organization is phony. Do you understand where I am going?

I agree with this point, but I'm not sure you aren't as hypocritical.
Religious 501c3 groups should not be receiving government grants. Is that clear enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Religious 501c3 groups should not be receiving government grants. Is that clear enough for you?
Why single out religious groups? You do understand the Constitutional implications of this right?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
That's a pretty nice scam. I'd like to get in on something like that. Maybe a Greenhouses For The Homeless program, where urban outdoorsman can grow their own tomatos or something. Should be able to get that fired up with a 14 million dollar grant. It's for The Chillren.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
I agree with you, they already get enough through tax breaks.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree with you, they already get enough through tax breaks.
All that fall under this tax status get the same tax breaks......education, scientific, etc.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Boca Raton, Fla. awarded $30,000 Environmental Justice Small Grant
An Environmental Justice Small Grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been awarded to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Boca Raton, Fla. for their project titled: Replicable and Scalable Community Climate Resilience Building in Two Communities in Palm Beach County, Florida.

The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship will use the grant money to create a Resilience Adaptation Community Toolkit (ReACT), and use it in community led neighborhood canvassing and at community meetings to provide education and training to reduce public health risks associated with increasingly severe storms and sea level rise associated with climate change in South Delray Beach, Fla. and the Pearl City area of Boca Raton, Fla.
Really?? Training on public risks of severe storms in Florida??

So who is this group? The are described as a liberal religious community. My guess is that they are a part of the Unitarian Universalist Association which is a Black Lives Matter supporter... which means they probably have BLM meetings there. I would almost say from looking the website that this group is a religious outpost that carries out what the administration needs on the ground.

So let's just say they are friendly to the administration, and get perks and benefits that are not allowed to other "religious" 501c3 institutions.

The Constitution doesn`t mention a separation of church and state but it does prohibit the establishment of a state religion.

Funding a particular religious organization clearly shows a connection between the state and that organization that the Constitution prohibits.

Of course the administration could counter that Climate Change is itself a religion and that the state has been funding the climate change church for decades with no one arguing the Constitutionality of their actions.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Constitution doesn`t mention a separation of church and state but it does prohibit the establishment of a state religion.
That's right.

Quote:
Funding a particular religious organization clearly shows a connection between the state and that organization that the Constitution prohibits.
It does no such thing as long as they all are treated the same.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:28 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Why single out religious groups? You do understand the Constitutional implications of this right?
No - explain it to me and we can see how it fits into the Unitarian Universalist Association.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
No - explain it to me and we can see how it fits into the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The government is not allowed to discriminate because of a religious affiliation. If one 501c3 group is eligible they all must be.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
All that fall under this tax status get the same tax breaks......education, scientific, etc.
I think the answer to this is to tighten up on the definition of 501(c)3. Too many of them are thinly disguised lobbying groups (not saying this is true of the UU group in the OP.)

If a group does meet a tightened definition for "public interest group", then I see nothing wrong with them competing for government grants.

My beef with the faith-based initiatives programs has little to do with their 501(c)3 status, and everything to do with government explicitly endorsing a particular faith-based approach to anything, whether that religion is christianity, islam, or wicca.

If a faith-based group is also doing public interest work in a secular fashion - for instance, feeding hungry people - then I'm good with them competing for grants along with non-faith-based groups. But there should be no tax-payer funded program specifically offering grants to faith-based groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies