Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...142632069.html

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
This is a three day old article on the topic: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/op...state-red.html
Quote:
In eastern Kentucky and other former Democratic bastions that have swung Republican in the past several decades, the people who most rely on the safety-net programs secured by Democrats are, by and large, not voting against their own interests by electing Republicans. Rather, they are not voting, period. They have, as voting data, surveys and my own reporting suggest, become profoundly disconnected from the political process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
From your own article: Life satisfaction in a given state is often based on highly subjective measures it's too bad that not everyone agrees with your biased opinion, isn't it? That list puts New Jersey as the 4th best state to live in, and you expect anyone to think the list is worth anything? Who would ever want to live in New Jersey? Isn't it funny that YOUR state, supposedly one of the highest ranked, has a red leader? I guess some people are mostly stupid, aren't they.
I don't know what you have against NJ, but it is an amazing place to live. And I have lived in 5 other major metropolitan areas around the country.

It is perfectly located for easy access to cities, mountains, and beaches.

You can live in wooded hills of NJ and still be a quick ride to the greatest city in the world. At the same time being only an hour away from the beach, an hour away from skiing in the Poconos or 3.5 hours from skiing in Vermont. In NJ there are farms, apple orchards, and lakes, just like any other state. The crime rate is low, and the crime is very segregated, so unless you go to the where the crime is, you are fine. We have some of the safest suburbs in the country.

We are also one of the wealthiest states with one of the best education systems in the country.

Unless you are a warm weather person, I don't know what more you could possibly want.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,169 times
You can go by that info if you want to, but I've been Maine to Florida and there is nothing like Dixie. I have many friends and acquaintances in some of those states that you have mentioned and they hate it there.

They can't believe our low taxes, cost of living, quality of life, sensible laws, more freedom, culture, weather, national forests, vast land, spacious beaches, little traffic, etc, just to name a few.

Some of the states listed up there are so bad, that never mind live there, I make it a point to fill up on gas and food anytime I "have to" travel through, just to make sure I don't even have to stop there. I actually made the mistake of staying overnight up there just one time and I couldn't believe all the taxes and fees they dumped on, not to mention the motel price...

So, they you have it for their "recommendations", lol.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:56 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
Sad thing is people did not used to be so stupid. There is no question we have zero critical thinking skills in the USA any more. We formulate "opinions" based on media spin and the emotional rhetoric of the spin meisters. Facts are boring to most people. So, they do not understand history and they are doomed to repeat it.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know what you have against NJ, but it is an amazing place to live. And I have lived in 5 other major metropolitan areas around the country.

It is perfectly located for easy access to cities, mountains, and beaches.

You can live in wooded hills of NJ and still be a quick ride to the greatest city in the world. At the same time being only an hour away from the beach, an hour away from skiing in the Poconos or 3.5 hours from skiing in Vermont. In NJ there are farms, apple orchards, and lakes, just like any other state. The crime rate is low, and the crime is very segregated, so unless you go to the where the crime is, you are fine. We have some of the safest suburbs in the country.

We are also one of the wealthiest states with one of the best education systems in the country.

Unless you are a warm weather person, I don't know what more you could possibly want.
That's true regarding accessibility to recreation, etc. But you did not mention culture. I think the culture of the South and the Midwest are far more accepting, friendly and generally kind to others than New England. People up there seem downright grumpy to me -I have been there a lot.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:06 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Because not all of us think that the high taxes and bureaucratic interference with free enterprise used to support a contingent of freeloaders and malcontents, whose principal goal seems to be avoiding the responsibility of a steady job, is such a positive idea.
So blue states are great of you're a freeloader?

Quote:
If you think life in a place like Connecticut, Vermont or Hawaii is so great, try relocating there with minimal savings and without a degree or knowledge of a skilled trade which qualifies you as readily employable -- and let us know how long you last.
So blues states are horrible unless you're readily employable?

Something seems out of whack here.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
That's true regarding accessibility to recreation, etc. But you did not mention culture. I think the culture of the South and the Midwest are far more accepting, friendly and generally kind to others than New England. People up there seem downright grumpy to me -I have been there a lot.
I don't want to speak for New England, but as far as NJ goes, and lower NY as well, people are more likely to say what is on their mind. Even if it is not polite. I don't think that makes them less accepting, but for someone that is not used to that, it may seem that way. When I lived in CA, TX, and to a lesser extent, Chicago, I noticed that my sarcasm was often met with a "deer in the headlights" look. That is how I knew I just said something that I shouldn't have said. Something that, in NJ or NY, wouldn't have even been noticed in normal conversation.

But i don't think that is a bad thing. Or a good thing, for that matter. It's just personal preference.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:19 PM

269 posts, read 178,301 times
If you want to live in a big city, blue states do a better job at that.

If you don't want to live in a big city, red states do a better job at that

More people live in cities./thread

Also, the "best states" are typically really white states.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:

lets see, 25th on your little list, but we do have the lowest violent crime rate, and we do have more freedom than lots of other states to include little firearms laws.
heck, I can even drive my vehicle with a loaded firearm on the seat next to me, without breaking the law.

try that is kalifornia or new york and see how much time you spend in prison.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't want to speak for New England, but as far as NJ goes, and lower NY as well, people are more likely to say what is on their mind. Even if it is not polite. I don't think that makes them less accepting, but for someone that is not used to that, it may seem that way. When I lived in CA, TX, and to a lesser extent, Chicago, I noticed that my sarcasm was often met with a "deer in the headlights" look. That is how I knew I just said something that I shouldn't have said. Something that, in NJ or NY, wouldn't have even been noticed in normal conversation.

But i don't think that is a bad thing. Or a good thing, for that matter. It's just personal preference.
I've been more in Mass than in NJ. Up there I just get this sense of "the old man and the sea" outlook, more dark and depressing than confrontational. It seemed unusual to see a friendly greeting between strangers on the street or other public places, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies