Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi_breeze View Post
Well according to the article, this sheriff paid for the sign with his own money, then the community began cutting him some checks and wants to spread the sign. On top of all that, the sign is not offensive.

Conclusion, this is a non-story.
And that is the crux of the matter.

That should end this thread.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The joke is on Harris County, GA, who is paying this guy to act like he is a real sheriff. If he has nothing better to do than hang signs--they ought to save their money.
Obviously he has done his job if he has time to hang the sign. And it was his personal money with the tons backing him.

/thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:57 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Hmm. While I agree with the sentiments behind the sign--saying Merry Christmas, supporting the troops, saluting the flag--I think putting up a sign warning people to conform or get out is a bit much. Are there people in the town trying to ban such things, or bringing lawsuits? If they are that is a matter between the two parties. The only public signs controlling behavior should be about laws (buckle up, 45 mph, etc.) not personal beliefs. It's one of the great things about living in America.

I'd no more support this than I would support a sign at the San Francisco City Limits saying "We support full frontal public nudity and transgender bathroom freedom - if you don't like it you can leave!" or a sign in New York's Upper West Side that reads "We Say Happy Hanukkah - if you don't like it you can leave!"

Old 11-26-2015, 07:44 PM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
political correctness is in the eye of the beholder.

I have never seen any of that as politically incorrect, however by the definition of politically incorrect, it would actually be so to say "Happy Holidays" in his eyes. Not sure why saying so even upsets people.

Its just a way to cover all your bases. Everyone isnt Christians.

But it's a Christian holiday and it's called Christmas. So why not say Merry Christmas?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Because we are. And unlike other people, we actually love and respect our country and service men. Too bad the ones who hate it don't just buy a one way ticket back to Africa or Mexico or wherever they say they belong and leave.
The people may love them but our government doesn't.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:37 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
there is something inherently un-American and authoritarian about a government sign that says, "If you don't like it, leave."

Nevermind that this is the sort of thing people say when they're lost an argument; Local government is supposed to represent the people, and listen to them, not deliver ultimatums about how they should live.

these sort of antics probably seem cute to the far right, but they would scare off normal people.
Sorry..BUT normal people are fine with it!! Normal people don't give a care who says what at Christmas..nor who pledges allegiance to any flag..nor any other traditional celebration...POLITICians have somehow created this division..

Advocates always do whatever..BUT ability to say it/express it has been around forever...BUT when Politicians scream it from atop of their "Grand Tower's build on the backs of Investors who LOST due to POOR management by Trump himself..Well..THEN all of a sudden what some sheriff does in his town..becomes some sort of "Statement"...

FAIL..NO one gives a care!!! Sheriff spent his own money..mearly Political..HE is a political who ran for SHerrif..thus Political motivated!!

End of tale!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Cute. Meaningless. But cute.

Those things don't offend me. I think acting like saying them makes you a hero is ridiculous, but I'm not offended. You say merry Christmas, I don't give a ****. You say in God we Trust, I say God should cure cancer and end poverty before I trust him. Also, tell who's right so we can stop killing each other. Odds are, the people who put up this sign would be quite offended by me saying that. The question would have to be, are they hypocrites or do they just let me believe what I want? From my experience, they're hypocrites, especially when it comes to criticizing their religion.

People get way to worked up about this sort of ****.
Ain't it the truth..Politicians spend far too much money ( or should I say money Other's donated to HIS political stand..WHOA..Congrats..I a free..get worked up only when political websites fan those flames and try to CRE-ATE some sort of divide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why does this fellow feel it necessary to state facts already in evidence on a sign in an "I'm taking a stand manner".

Everyone knows you can still say Merry Christmas...if you desire.

Everyone knows you can do any of those things listed on the sign. Many on here have stated they do just that. No one has stated they were prevented from doing so.

So here's the question: is this representative of the intelligence of todays Police Chiefs and Sheriffs around the country?

The answer might explain a great deal regarding all the current strife being experienced around the country at this very moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Well, it's a big story to the OFAers, o'baggers, and other leftwing morons in this thread.
Actually NOPE..It's a BIG Story for you Ed ROFLMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
True, liberals do enjoy being politically incorrect.
Actually..Nothing on that sign is "Political INCORRECT"..Politicians and extreme advocates try and make it so!! Normal folks don't give a darn..THUS Correctness is a MOTE point really

Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Actually..Nothing on that sign is "Political INCORRECT"..Politicians and extreme advocates try and make it so!! Normal folks don't give a darn..THUS Correctness is a MOTE point really
I agree, which is why I think the sign is stupid, and I am guessing a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Looks like the Sheriff's sign has the liberals panties in a wad. And that's a good thing.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Looks like the Sheriff's sign has the liberals panties in a wad. And that's a good thing.
There isn't a liberal on Earth that will ever see that sign if it stands there for a thousand years.

We have better places to hang out at than Rednecksville, Ga.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There isn't a liberal on Earth that will ever see that sign if it stands there for a thousand years.

We have better places to hang out at than Rednecksville, Ga.

Yeah, like coming here and bitc#ing about his sign huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies