Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Because...
A) neither of these persons committed a capital offense where the death penalty would be applied. Both would have possibly wound up on supervised probation or a short term in jail. In both cases there is room to question the reaction of the police.

B) even "law-abiding" people commit minor or stupid offenses that can spiral out of control. Domestic conflict cases and traffic confrontations often lead to police involvement and your kids could be the ones who make a bad decision and are taken down. Stupidity is not a capital offense nor is mental or emotional distress.

This thread is surprising to me and I just don't get the callousness some people have, and trust me, I'm definitely no bleeding heart libby here, I'm a middle of the road guy and the disregard people are having for LM is a bit scary to me, I mean, yeah, the kid wasn't a boy scout, that doesn't give the cop the right to pump 16 shots into a kid that wasn't a direct threat to anyone at the moment he was gunned down.

The fact that average everyday people aren't seeing this is a bit scary to me.... I mean WTF????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 05:51 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Sympathy in that they shouldn't just be shot( although Michael Brown leaves some room for debate, we have no video only the officers testimony). Tazer them, sick a police dog on them to chow down on their genitals, put some lumps on their empty noggins with a few well aimed blows with a nightstick, that's all fine. We'd ALL applaud that. But, yeah, they were violence and criminally predisposed stupid losers just as Trayon Martin was. But then so are the cops who get called up and convicted for acting the same way.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I take cop shootings on a case by case basis. Some people deserved what was coming, others were bold Wild West style exections for very minor offenses. I still don't celebrate any death by cop even if deserved. Good people still lost someone they loved.

I do fear many cops are using combat techniques learned in recent wars on American streets. Many cases involve a large number of shots fired in dense areas

Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Sympathy in that they shouldn't just be shot( although Michael Brown leaves some room for debate, we have no video only the officers testimony). Tazer them, sick a police dog on them to chow down on their genitals, put some lumps on their empty noggins with a few well aimed blows with a nightstick, that's all fine. We'd ALL applaud that. But, yeah, they were violence and criminally predisposed stupid losers just as Trayon Martin was. But then so are the cops who get called up and convicted for acting the same way.
We have no video, but several witnesses and an autopsy report that corroborated Wilson's account.

Oh, and I don't think I'd applaud the cops sicking a dog on them.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
People Who Have No Sympathy for Laquan McDonald or Michael Brown

• Michael Brown. - Verified Thug, criminal and dead for attacking policeman.
  • Laquan McDonald - tire slasher brandishing knives in public.
Why should law abiding people have sympathy for either of these people?

So let's just get rid of the constitution then! Let a cop on the street with a high school diploma decide if someone ought to be executed. "Law-abiding", well wait until a d***head cop thinks you're disrespecting him off camera and you're getting a club in your face. You're a moron if you think you and your family are safe from corrupt police just because you don't break any laws.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 PM

244 posts, read 168,683 times
17 and high on PCP running around o the streets with a knife WTF? stupid games =stupid prizes (the amount you rec may very).

Old 11-28-2015, 11:54 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
People act like this sort of thing is new.

For those who think they can act out and get away with it, here is my suggestion.

When a cop sees you with a deadly weapon (including a knife) and tells you to drop it, drop it immediately or he might very well shoot you.

Cops are trained to shoot to kill, and they often empty their guns of all their rounds in doing that.

As a general rule, they don't have to apologize for doing this.

We give them the authority to capture, subdue and arrest people, and they are expected to do just that -- not let people go, not let people argue with them, not let people disobey their commands, not let people run away from them (especially if they have a weapon).

Cops are about FORCE: EnFORCING the law.

If you think the cops are wrong, tell that to your lawyer or public defender.

In the meantime, do what the cop says.

Or don't. It's your funeral.

When a cop shoots and kills someone who wasn't disobeying him, wasn't brandishing a weapon, wasn't trying to run away with a weapon in hand, wasn't in the midst of committing crimes, then get back to me.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
It's sick to beat a dead horse, sicker still to shoot a dead man.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Laquan McDonald's killing: Black leaders seek fed probe - CNN.com

What do you say to people who have zero sympathy or support for McDonald and Brown because they think of them as criminals? And, these people also think that they nor anyone in their family would ever be in the positions McDonald (committing crimes, walking with a knife while police telling him to drop it, etc.) and Brown (robbing the store, etc.) were in.
Good riddence. Both were criminals who were just beginning their careers as violent criminals. Think of all crimes prevented and potentially lives saved. Think of all the money the government saved by not having to support those thugs for the rest of their lives.

The black community needs to stop presenting thugs and criminals as thier "poster children" for police brutality.

Sometimes you get what you deserve in life. Asking for compassion toward criminals (who grant thier victims none) is outrageous.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:09 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
People act like this sort of thing is new.

For those who think they can act out and get away with it, here is my suggestion.

When a cop sees you with a deadly weapon (including a knife) and tells you to drop it, drop it immediately or he might very well shoot you.
The cop who shot Laquan didn't shout anything.

Quote:
We give them the authority to capture, subdue and arrest people, and they are expected to do just that -- not let people go, not let people argue with them, not let people disobey their commands, not let people run away from them (especially if they have a weapon).

Cops are about FORCE: EnFORCING the law.

If you think the cops are wrong, tell that to your lawyer or public defender.

In the meantime, do what the cop says.

Or don't. It's your funeral.
You're wrong. Their mission is to protect the public. Surprisingly, the people they arrest are still members of the public and the Constitution applies to them. If your dream for this country is having executions in the street by agents of the state, you should tell your congressman to amend the Constitution.

Telling your lawyer the cops were wrong won't help at all if police destroy the evidence (happens all the time) or you're dead.

Quote:
When a cop shoots and kills someone who wasn't disobeying him, wasn't brandishing a weapon, wasn't trying to run away with a weapon in hand, wasn't in the midst of committing crimes, then get back to me.
Police Officers Who Shot 6-Year-old Jeremy Mardis Are Accused of Lying Repeatedly - The Atlantic

They killed a little boy because his father had a warrant. That could have been you if your car was similar or had a similar license plate. That's why violence-first policing is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies