Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 06:45 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's what I thought. You got nothing.

Again it's risk/benefit, obesity related diseases are far more expensive than those who choose adventure hobbies. Not to mention how much obesity affects more people.
The elitism of the priviledged White man on display. Everyone else is so ignorant that you have to decide how everyone else should live, where they should live, what they should be allowed to eat, what they should be allowed to drink, smoke, etc. Quite the cross you have to bear.

Is it safe to presume you're consistant and are also opposed to legalization of marijuana and the consumption of alcohol (high calorie crafy beers especially!)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:23 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

And who is worthy to determine what we eat in what amounts, the government? Please they change the recommended health standards every time I turn around. What does constitute a healthy 3 squares a day? We the American public end up paying for everything from the inept collection of elected officials that are in office to the farm subsides that are received for certain crops. As for healthcare costs how about we reel them in and start forcing them to charge a fair & reasonable price for their goods and services.
With regard to determining what is healthy you make a good point -- can the government be trusted to do that? Probably not.* Given that, in practice it's probably better to have some sort of tax on soda and soft drinks like we do alcohol and call it a day rather than get into grey areas like trying to reduce meat consumption.

*How you can realize that but at the same time think it would be a good idea to have the same government trying to implement pay caps for medical providers is beyond me.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:02 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's it. Let's tax the water.
I am sure this is were they would love to go. Along with limiting who and what can use it. They are finding in California some pot growers are diverting water and causing once watered areas no longer being watered. I wonder how many places have been claimed drought stricken, only to find out creeks and rivers are no longer feeding those areas the cows are in.

Quote:
What's your objection to taxing foods that are known to be unhealthy and contribute to obesity?
Who will decide? Also, how do you know the amount a person eats isn't the problem, more than what they eat? How about people who don't exercise or work enough to work off the calories, should the rest of us not eat a fast food burger or HoHo's?

Last edited by wildflower82; 11-28-2015 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw an interesting article. It talked about putting a tax on meat that would be used to help the environment. They gave examples of the money collected could use for clean drinking water or help preserve park's. Think it is a good idea...thought's?
Why meat? And you do know a super market is not the only way to get meat, don't ya?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:14 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I eat venison... My meat doesn't stand a foot deep in manure, but my meat does poop on vegetarians food.
I have a friend with a strange sense of humor He sent me a shirt that said this, along with the deer pooping. I think he expected me to wear it, I found it to be rude.......of course the men in my family think it's funny! Must be a guy thing and I missed it.......

Old 11-28-2015, 08:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
What's your objection to taxing foods that are known to be unhealthy and contribute to obesity?
What's your objection to going after the root of the issue and taxing keystrokes? If you really want to get to the bottom of it that is the problem. We'll penalize every person in the US that uses any device that allows them to sit on the couch and entertain themselves instead of participating in physical activity.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Alcohol is taxed, so is tobacco.
Just because we already tax something doesn't make it right.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that our life expectancy is lower than countries with less obesity.
Health is not the only factor in life expectancy, for example the US has a very high rate of car fatalities/accidents per capita. This is driven by two main variables, A)lots of people drive or are passengers in cars B)Low population density means some of those accident victims may not get care fast enough.That low population density also contributes to the lower life expectancy for other things. the farther away you are from emergency care and a hospital the more likely you are to die in an emergency.

There is plethora of issues associated with such statistics. As another example very high risk births are more likely to be attempted here in the US. These kids would be aborted elsewhere as would kids that are unlikely to survive many years. On top of that very low weight live births where the baby dies almost immediately are not counted as live birth in other countries.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-28-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope. It's actually mostly the food.
Stan junk food has not just suddenly appeared on the scene. I would suggest that my generation growing up in the 70's ate a lot more junk food that this generation. I had a candy store next to my elementary school, I can remember a candy they sold that was nothing more than flavored granulated sugar sold in a straw. Overall food consumption would have been much higher but you needed those calories. When school was over the first thing you would do is get on your bike and go find a ball game or some other physical activity, you did that every day.

The lives of these kids today are so regimented they don't have time to do that and/or they are sitting in front of some electronic device.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:25 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It will calm down those cow gasses, if taxed, thus cooling the earth.
Except for the fact that, to replace our protein, we humans will be eating more beans...

Seriously, is this to help promote veganism? What's next to be taxed, dairy and eggs (the price of those in the supermarket...e-gad!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies