Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,005,624 times

Advertisements

Just another law I will ignore and find a way to get around.My kids already say I will retire in prison with all the laws I ignore. well guess what it pays better than the SS I have been paying into for 45 years and they can still visit.Maybe I'll get a college degree in law and sue for fun.The idiot's that run our gov will take me seriously they are so stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,090,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It never fails.
Hey, hit me with some better logic or examples....

I've repeatedly used the mantra of moderation.... You just can't come up with anything worthwhile.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Oh now we will have to define 'immorality'.
Nah, you haven't been following. I've already defined unhealthy foods so try and use some critical thinking...

Quote:
Do you propose legislating/taxing all immorality, or just some?
Morality isn't the issue, obesity is. We already tax alcohol and tobacco products, why not unhealthy food that contributes to some $100-200 billion in preventable healthcare costs.

Quote:
And what about the people with enviable metabolism/constitutions who consume all the donuts and sugary drinks they want without ill effect?
I doubt there is zero ill effect. But it's okay, they'll get over it or adjust accordingly.

Quote:
Would you be against artificial sweeteners too (because we know that they're not good for us either).
Sure a penny per kilogram...

Whatever happened to critical thinking....

Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM

5,342 posts, read 5,076,400 times
The obesity argument is weaker than the environmental damage argument. With obesity, the only effect to a non obese bystander is medical costs and having to deal fat people. The obese person will reap the rewards of their own actions. I do think some intervention, like more disclosure or education about it in school may be helpful, but essentially food is a drug and the addicts shouldn't dictate the rules for the non-addicts, just like it should be for other drugs (at least some of the less harmful ones).

With environmental damage, whether it's antibiotic resistant bacteria, overuse of farming chemicals or waste runoff from a meat factory, The producer does NOT bear the consequences of their own actions and the bystander has significant costs to bear because of it. It's the classic case of an externality, and a pretty bad one too.

And, obesity manifests results rather quickly while environmental damage may take decades to manifest.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,651,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Nah, you haven't been following. I've already defined unhealthy foods so try and use some critical thinking...

Morality isn't the issue, obesity is. We already tax alcohol and tobacco products, why not unhealthy food that contributes to some $100-200 billion in preventable healthcare costs.

Whatever happened to critical thinking....

Do try to follow,OK. You made a blanket statement:

Quote:
Nope.

Obesity is immoral.
By the way - Not all obesity is caused by self-indulgent overeating.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM

36,153 posts, read 30,619,225 times
Quote:
Root of evil? No you're jumping into a discussion about unhealthy foods and obesity.

The thread is about the environmental impact of meat production, which is pretty high.

Seems harder to mandate physical activity over a population so I'd rather just charge a little extra for unhealthy food. This would help with preventing obesity to some degree and making people more financially responsible for their health.
Again, humans are detrimental to the environment. How much land and water do we take/destroy with our life styles, swimming pools, golf courses, Mcmansions, manicured lawns, land fills, deforestation for construction materials, air pollution? What is the environmental impact of vegetables for human consumption, corn, sugarcane for fuel?

Why the need to mandate physical activity or food at all? And why target meat when its processed foods that are most unhealthy and contribute to obesity. More taxes on food will not make poorer people eat healthier. Those that are poor tend to buy foods that are unhealthier because those foods are cheaper. Taxing meat isn't going to have an effect on that.

If you want to make people financially responsible for their health cut out all the free health care and get government out of healthcare altogether.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Do try to follow,OK. You made a blanket statement:
It was reply to another poster who said "taxing food is immoral". Like I said, follow the conservation...

We already tax prepared food, we already tax alcohol, we already tax weed where legal, and we already tax tobacco products. What's the big deal?

Quote:
By the way - Not all obesity is caused by self-indulgent overeating.
Correct 100% isn't caused by that, but it's by far the leading. Can't make every happy though and some will have to adjust accordingly or pay more for certain foods.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
I think we have our answer.

Research Points To Mental Health Risks Associated With Meatless Diet « CBS Philly

Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM

30,198 posts, read 23,608,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There should never be a tax on food!
Do you mean just meat and veggies from the produce aisle? Or do you mean all food? Because if you mean all food, then some people should know that there are states that tax every last food item EXCEPT for raw meat and raw vegetables. Everything else is taxed, food or not...yes, even sugar and milk.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do you mean just meat and veggies from the produce aisle? Or do you mean all food? Because if you mean all food, then some people should know that there are states that tax every last food item EXCEPT for raw meat and raw vegetables. Everything else is taxed, food or not...yes, even sugar and milk.
I've never heard of this and if so, that would be wrong but what states are these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies