Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Of course they all didn't support slavery. Do you actually think people in Germany were fighting for Hitler instead of country?

Absurd
I believe they all supported slavery. I'll always believe that.

Do i think people were fighting for Hitler instead of country? I actually think they fought for both.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:57 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Would of, could of, should of...

The Confederates you love so didn't win because they couldn't and that's that...

And a "well-armed militia" made up of southerners can not and did not defeat a professional standing army.

Facts > Opinion

Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope..there was no other way of ending slavery in the United States. Southerners are a hardheaded lot, and they felt that slavery was their God given right. Their Bibles told them so. They wouldn't have even accepted compensation in exchange. They loved their system...they could rape, beat, or murder someone with impunity. They were a sadistic lot, and they weren't prepared to depart from their depravity without a fight.

So the South had to be destroyed to end it. Too bad. If it were up to me, the North would've been even more brutal. They would've burned a lot more property and killed a lot more hardheads.

BTW...no need to tell me about where you're from. I could care less. Not being from the South doesn't give your points any more validity than if you were from the South. You're still a Neo-Confederate.

HEY Genius!!! 90% of the people in the South didn't own slaves. Lincoln and the politicians in the North wanted to guaranteed slavery in the constitution in the Corwin Amendment which passed by a very large majority in the North with the support of President Lincoln and still the South left, so HELLOOOOOO, The South left for other reasons. The Civil War wasn't about slavery.

by your childish mentality lets end all dictatorships in the world by killing civilians and burning villages. To defeat ISIS President Obama should invade Syria and kill many civilians and burn down villages....the end justify the means, right?

We should have NUKE all communist countries to end the Cold WAR, right?

You have a very negative view of people of the South, like the people of the North were morally right in our history....go back to school because you are clueless.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
HEY Genius!!! 90% of the people in the South didn't own slaves. Lincoln and the politicians in the North wanted to guaranteed slavery in the constitution in the Corwin Amendment which passed by a very large majority in the North with the support of President Lincoln and still the South left, so HELLOOOOOO, The South left for other reasons.
Not according to their declarations of secession. Now you can of course argue that the actual power players just used the slavery issue as red meat to bring the populace along, but that's not a flattering picture, either.

You may alos ponder why the Confederate constitution reads like the US one in almost every particular, except when it comes to slavery, which is provided specific and detailed protection.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
I believe they all supported slavery. I'll always believe that.
Meh - once the bullets are flying and rumor is Johnny Foreigner is coming to shove you around, people fight for all sorts of reasons, be it a firm belief in slavery of fear of being thought a coward. I reserve my ire for the Southern Gentlemen who engineered secession to protect their investments in human beings.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
HEY Genius!!! 90% of the people in the South didn't own slaves. Lincoln and the politicians in the North wanted to guaranteed slavery in the constitution in the Corwin Amendment which passed by a very large majority in the North with the support of President Lincoln and still the South left, so HELLOOOOOO, The South left for other reasons. The Civil War wasn't about slavery.

by your childish mentality lets end all dictatorships in the world by killing civilians and burning villages. To defeat ISIS President Obama should invade Syria and kill many civilians and burn down villages....the end justify the means, right?

We should have NUKE all communist countries to end the Cold WAR, right?

You have a very negative view of people of the South, like the people of the North were morally right in our history....go back to school because you are clueless.
Of course i have a negative view of Southerners from that period. Think Jews have a wonderful view of Germans and Austrians during the Third Reich?

Same thing.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not according to their declarations of secession. Now you can of course argue that the actual power players just used the slavery issue as red meat to bring the populace along, but that's not a flattering picture, either.

You may alos ponder why the Confederate constitution reads like the US one in almost every particular, except when it comes to slavery, which is provided specific and detailed protection.

then explain the Corwin Amendment .....that wasn't passed by the South, it was actually passed by the North and Lincoln supported it. Congress with ALL Northern Votes passed it in March 2, 1861 and submitted to the state legislatures for ratification. It stated:

Quote:
No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State
Ohio, Maryland and Illinois were the first states to ratified the Amendment (All Union States) the Amendment died because Southern States wanted NO part of the Union, all they wanted was to be Independent just like Washington and Jefferson did from the British Crown ........the South wanted NO part of any Amendment process giving them a constitutional right to have slaves and the federal government by constitution couldn't interfere. Right there the South wanted their independence for other reasons other than slavery.

if you offer me something to stay and I refuse then its other reasons why I left.. The North didn't want to give up CONTROL and Power. It had nothing to do with a few black slaves. The North weren't willing to send their sons to kill other citizens, destroy the South and die for a few black slaves that weren't even in their own state.

This was a war of aggression by the U.S. Federal Government of people that didn't want to be part of the Union and wanted to be independent. Just like Washington and Jefferson did against the British Crown.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 11-30-2015 at 02:01 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Of course i have a negative view of Southerners from that period. Think Jews have a wonderful view of Germans and Austrians during the Third Reich?

Same thing.
Then you must have a negative view of the world because every continent owned slaves in their history including most Natives in the Americas.

but your only "beef" is with Southerners.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Then you must have a negative view of the world because every continent owned slaves in their history including most Natives in the Americas.

but your only "beef" is with Southerners.
I don't live in the rest of the world. I live here.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:45 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder just what in hell Bentbow is talking about. I am a Damn Yankee and I am not ruled over by the Federal Government in what I say, where I say it and when I say it.

As concerning the US Civil War I have always wondered why so many Southern farmers were so willing to fight for the southern plantation owners that used slavery to keep everybody but their families impoverished. The Emancipation was the primary economic tactic used by the US government to help defeat the south. That, by "freeing the slaves", destroyed most of the confederacy's credit in the rest of the world. Even the Brits required payment in gold for the arms they tried to smuggle into the south.

IMHO the major failing of the Federal government was not taking the Reconstruction far enough to totally eliminate the Planter Families and all remnants of the plantation system. The government stopped too soon.
There were more slave owners in the North than in the South, should they, their property & their families all been destroyed ad well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies