Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

An interesting video concerning how the electric car is already HERE. But nobody is selling it... why do we still have hybrids when the electric car is here? Anyone know? I think all the car companies deserve to go bankrupt and yet here we are protecting them with taxpayers money by the government. When is the corruption in the government going to end? Look at who America is picking... I guess never... I guess its all of our fault...

Part 1: Who Killed The Electric Car - 1 of 9
Part 2: Who Killed The Electric Car - 2 of 9
Part 3: Who Killed The Electric Car - 3 of 9
Part 4: Who Killed The Electric Car - 4 of 9
Part 5: Who Killed The Electric Car - 5 of 9
Part 6: Who Killed The Electric Car - 6 of 9
Part 7: Who Killed The Electric Car - 7 of 9
Part 8: Who Killed The Electric Car - 8 of 9
Part 9: Who Killed The Electric Car - 9 of 9

I am going to get me a plug-in toyota prius hybrid! When it gets cheaper that is... $32k just for a conversion? Thats too expensive...

Last edited by evilnewbie; 02-03-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I was given a copy of that movie about a year ago and it was amazing! All the people that had this car loved it and wanted to buy it, yet they were not allowed to buy them, or even keep them. GM forced them to give back the cars and destroyed perfectly good cars. Nice, huh? The reason? Corporate Greed. (think less gasoline sales, no "oil changes" ) How cool would it be to have solar collectors and then use that electricity to power your car, as one person in the movie did?
Watch the movie (to those who haven't seen it yet...)!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:32 AM

I can't help but think if Al Gore was president things might have been different. Now, I don't like Al Gore for his stance on global warming/CO2.. but I do like paying less and helping the environment (less pollution, no smog, no consumption of natural resources, etc.). I am going to get me a Prius... strange that the government doesn't offer any tax advantage anymore for some of these hybrids... government corruption? Of course.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I have only dial-up and I haven't watched the movie but............

Why does anyone believe that if there truly was a viable replacement for internal combustion power that there woudn't be investment bankers standing in line to finance their construction?

Energy density wise we still have a long way to go to beat gasoline/diesel fuel.

And batteries carry with them their own pros and cons, cost, weight, life-span, environmental manufacturing & disposal issues, and reliability to name just a few.

Some electrics I've seen have great potential for urban short range use but has anyone seen an affordable electric that can be driven virtually non-stop LA to NYC as even the most basic conventional vehicle can be? And do so again and again with relatively little, low cost maintenance?

I'd love to see an alternative that allows us to thumb our collective nose at OPEC but that bandwagon's not moving strongly enough to jump on..........................yet.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I can't help but think if Al Gore was president things might have been different. Now, I don't like Al Gore for his stance on global warming/CO2.. but I do like paying less and helping the environment (less pollution, no smog, no consumption of natural resources, etc.). I am going to get me a Prius... strange that the government doesn't offer any tax advantage anymore for some of these hybrids... government corruption? Of course.

I'm not sold on the Prius just yet. A year or so ago AutoWeek did a fairly extensive mileage comparison of a number of vehicles that included a Prius, the highest MPG by a fair margin was obtained by a VW TDI Diesel.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
We had a thread about a month ago with extensive electric car discussions. If you want to, you probably will be able to purchase one in about 6-10 months:

Aptera (http://www.aptera.com/details.php - broken link)

Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have only dial-up and I haven't watched the movie but............

Why does anyone believe that if there truly was a viable replacement for internal combustion power that there woudn't be investment bankers standing in line to finance their construction?

Energy density wise we still have a long way to go to beat gasoline/diesel fuel.

And batteries carry with them their own pros and cons, cost, weight, life-span, environmental manufacturing & disposal issues, and reliability to name just a few.

Some electrics I've seen have great potential for urban short range use but has anyone seen an affordable electric that can be driven virtually non-stop LA to NYC as even the most basic conventional vehicle can be? And do so again and again with relatively little, low cost maintenance?

I'd love to see an alternative that allows us to thumb our collective nose at OPEC but that bandwagon's not moving strongly enough to jump on..........................yet.
From what I saw in the movie, this car was a great alternative for most of us - most of the time. Meaning most people could drive to work and back, with no problem. Plug their car in overnight and be ready to go again. It would not be an alternative for a drive across the country (yet), but it would be a great alternative for me for example. I have a VW New Beetle, and even though it is almost 10 years old now, it only has 40.000 miles on it. So for my purposes, this car would have fit the bill. And if it became available, I would buy it, as my next car.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We had a thread about a month ago with extensive electric car discussions. If you want to, you probably will be able to purchase one in about 6-10 months:

Aptera (http://www.aptera.com/details.php - broken link)
We have signed up with them on their website... looks interesting!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Diesel is not a bad fuel source but I figure that diesel prices will continue to spike with the problems in Iraq. I notice that a LOT of car manufacturers plan to have the PHEV by 2010. The biggest problem is the conditions in the Iraq war, if it continues to be turbulent over there, gas prices will remain high and PHEV will be here. However, if the Iraq war does die down, I fear oil industries and car manufacturers (along with the federal government) will collude to end PHEV. I rather not be tied to the yoke of the oil industry and PHEV is a way to get away from them. Freeing up a lot of oil for other uses like plastic (and possibly cheaper petroleum products as we have less oil dependence). I think Bush made a big mistake in causing the Iraq war because he wanted cheaper oil for his oil "friends" but instead it lead to the revival of the electric car. Oil companies screwed themselves with the war (karma I guess). I hope the conflict in Iraq will persist into 2010. It would be D-day for the oil companies...

Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
From what I saw in the movie, this car was a great alternative for most of us - most of the time. Meaning most people could drive to work and back, with no problem. Plug their car in overnight and be ready to go again. It would not be an alternative for a drive across the country (yet), but it would be a great alternative for me for example. I have a VW New Beetle, and even though it is almost 10 years old now, it only has 40.000 miles on it. So for my purposes, this car would have fit the bill. And if it became available, I would buy it, as my next car.
Agreed, the type of use you describe is where currently available electric technology fits well, That seems to be a major factor, range. We'll also need to make progress in making charging stations available which could double the effective commuting range of current vehicles if users had a way to recharge while they were at their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies