Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM

699 posts, read 610,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
people in fiji were surveyed on happiness and 98% said they were very happy,meanwhile the west has epidemic levels of depression.
Is this somehow a measure of superiority? A Dog is happy too if you pet him, and give him food. And I never knew a dog to commit suicide.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
If that were true, then wouldn't North Korea also have bounced back? The only real difference between the two is their form of government - & the policy choices that stem from that. In language, writing system, culture - except perhaps the free exercise of religion (absent in the north) - the peoples are the same. I'd have to look @ the resource base - it seems to me that N. Korea has better hydropower possibilities - but surely the governmental arrangements alone don't account for the difference now between North & South Korea.

Or is there more nuance to this question of culture?
Naw, they have too much dog in their diet. Makes them irritable.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:16 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
What brilliant analysis and insight! You've contributed so much to this discussion, your parents must be very proud of you.
Thanks for making my point. Oh, and welcome to ignore.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:20 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Left would disagree. They believe Islamic culture of oppression of Women, LGBT, and Minorities is just as good if not better.
Hence, the culture of liberalism is inferior.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Yah, up to the 1930s CE, Germany was the center of World math & science & technology. But they expelled & crowded out some of their best minds, who typically went to UK or the US. They politicized schools, religion, government & lost their way. They preyed & warred upon their own people, in a kind of warm up for assaulting the World.

Germany may be a Christian nation now, I don't have an opinion on that. But as Germany & then Europe & the World teetered on the edge of the abyss, I don't think Germany then was very Christian @ all.
I'm wondering how true this information is.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Yah. Of small comfort to the Koreans to be swallowed up first by China (1368-1911 CE), then Japan (1895-1945). In 1910, Japan attempted to eradicate Korean culture altogether. There are still - TMK - Korean POWs & families from WWII (& before?) in Japan, who speak Japanese, eat Japanese food, & so on. But officially, they are Korean, & are barred from marrying traditional Japanese.

So yah, all hail the very first victims of the Japanese Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere! Banzai! & of course, atrocities @ the hands of your fellow Asiatics must not cut quite to the quick, unlike those demon round eyes, hai?

Koreans are not barred from marrying Japanese. There are several thousand Korean/Japanese marriages in Japan every year.

A Look at International Marriage in Japan | Nippon.com

Old 12-02-2015, 10:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
The same reference point and perspective argument can be made against judging anything to be superior or inferior. Music, food, literature... of course it all comes down to our views and tastes. But that hardly makes such judgements meaningless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Superior, inferior are meaningless words without a reference point and useless when talking about culure.

One culture may be less desirable or repulsive from another culture's perspective.

A culture can be evaluated based on its negatives or positives, depending on the ethnocentrist's perspective.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Huh?

You don't think some cultures are inferior to other cultures.

Slavery is evil. I am sure we can both agree upon that. Any culture that has slavery ingrained in it, justifies slavery, encourages slavery is inferior to a culture that does not. In regards to slavery, America's culture has improved from 1865 to 2015 - has it not?

A culture is defined as: "A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next."

If you can freely judge slavery is morally wrong...

Why can't you judge a culture that has slavery as a "way of life," slavery as a "behavior," slavery as a "belief," and slavery as a positive "value" that they accept and pass from one generation to the next as morally inferior to a culture that is abhorred by slavery on this issue?
Lol...I'm laughing at the idea that you'd immediately come at me with the slavery angle. I guess you figure that it's close to my heart for some reason. Wonder what that reason is. Hmmmmm....

Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 AM

906 posts, read 712,387 times
yes, some cultures are superior. in swahili, there's a saying, "he who is at the top, wait for him at the bottom".

Old 12-03-2015, 04:26 AM

26,496 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...I'm laughing at the idea that you'd immediately come at me with the slavery angle. I guess you figure that it's close to my heart for some reason. Wonder what that reason is. Hmmmmm....
I am laughing that you avoid intellectual debate while making snarky comments without any substance in this thread.

If one can judge slavery as a moral evil...

...why can't one judge a culture that endorses slavery as inferior to a culture that abhors slavery in this regard?

Cultures include actions and belief systems like slavery. If you stand by the position that I cannot judge a culture, then how can I judge the institution of slavery, which is a part of a culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies