Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Culture: "The widely accepted beliefs and actions of a people."

Will anyone answer these yes/no questions.

#1 Are some actions/beliefs inherently and objectively inferior actions/beliefs to a civilized society as they transgress against basic human rights/dignity?

(Examples: slavery, superstitiously killing children for being witches, barring voting based on gender/race, etc)

#2 If a culture evolves to legally ban such inherently and objectively inferior actions/beliefs did the culture not change for the better (improve) as it no longer propagates objectively inferior actions/beliefs?

(Example: In 1920, American culture evolved for the better when society decided to outlaw discrimination based on gender for voting rights with the 19th Amendment. No longer would American culture propagate the inferior action through laws barring women voting.)

#3 Is not American culture (actions/beliefs of a people) better on August 18, 1920 than it was on August 17, 1920.....as American culture would no longer include the actions of banning women from voting based on their gender?

Answer Key: 1 Yes, 2 Yes, 3 Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Exactly what I have been stating all along. However, OP and others will act like they don't understand that.
Neither of you have put forth an intellectual response to my above points (and you also ignored tons of other ones).

Old 12-06-2015, 04:40 PM

906 posts, read 712,387 times
it hurts my feelings that people think they are so much better than me based on the group of people i am grouped with...

like, is it too much to ask to be respectful? nobody is perfect, no culture is perfect and instead of helping a people when they are down people rather delight in themselves and their own people.

it's like hitting a man when he is down. you can get away with it, but it is not right. anyway, this is why people don't like people...

for all the greatness of Western culture it seems rather self congratulatory.

what's funny in all this is that the West doesn't even realize power is currently shifting away from them. but, it's nature...what can you say? it was always going to happen. it just happens to be happening now.

in a certain way, you can say the power shift is officially complete on July 4, 2016...next independence day.

Last edited by gumisgood; 12-06-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:

#1 Are some actions/beliefs inherently and objectively inferior actions/beliefs to a civilized society as they transgress against basic human rights/dignity?

(Examples: slavery, superstitiously killing children for being witches, barring voting based on gender/race, etc)

#2 If a culture evolves to legally ban such inherently and objectively inferior actions/beliefs did the culture not change for the better (improve) as it no longer propagates objectively inferior actions/beliefs?

(Example: In 1920, American culture evolved for the better when society decided to outlaw discrimination based on gender for voting rights with the 19th Amendment. No longer would American culture propagate the inferior action through laws barring women voting.)

#3 Is not American culture (actions/beliefs of a people) better on August 18, 1920 than it was on August 17, 1920.....as American culture would no longer include the actions of banning women from voting based on their gender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
it hurts my feelings that people think they are so much better than me based on the group of people i am grouped with...

like, is it too much to ask to be respectful? nobody is perfect, no culture is perfect and instead of helping a people when they are down people rather delight in themselves and their own people.

it's like hitting a man when he is down. you can get away with it, but it is not right. anyway, this is why people don't like people...

for all the greatness of Western culture it seems rather self congratulatory.

what's funny in all this is that the West doesn't even realize power is currently shifting away from them. but, it's nature...what can you say? it was always going to happen. it just happens to be happening now.

in a certain way, you can say the power shift is officially complete on July 4, 2016...next independence day.

Which of the following 3 questions above do you disagree with?

You measure people one at a time. Nobody is better or worse simply for being immersed in a particular culture. When Obama talks about our culture being inferior to his proposed cultural changes, I don't think he is calling me a bad individual...(generally speaking I don't do what he is complaining about).

People are largely products of their culture. I can cut George Washington some slack for participating in slavery as it was his culture and culture molds a mind. I can NOT cut the institution of slavery some slack as it is a morally inferior institution and I can't accept a culture that propagates such evil.

Do you think culture doesn't evolve over time sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse?

Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies