Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 04:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes I am aware. and the ME is part of that continent. So everything here is moot. I personally consider Pakistan a part of the hellhole called the ME. So let's get back to what I was responding to. If the ME is on the continent of Asia, then the majority of Muslims DO live in the ME.
Indonesia, population about 250 million, has the greatest national concentration of Muslims.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:17 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your first two statements.

Safety is an illusion and timing.

Had 9/11 not happened in 2001, it could have happened in 2011.
I doubt that. Our intel is too good today for that. We were caught flat-footed. There's a reason that we have not had attacks on US soil and it is not because they are not trying. I'm not crediting Obama exclusively. The Bush admin acted to improve things after 9/11.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Like I said before; there was a good reason for them to have so much unused ammo. First; have you ever been inside a building when large firearm was discharged? The sound is deafening. But that is not the reasons that I feel they left early. They could have stuck to a plan; only so many minutes and then leave. Or; the sound of the fire alarm and the cold water from the sprinklers were things they did not prepare for. And it could have been a combination of all of the above.

As far as training honest citizens: I never said to arm them with automatic weapons - like middle-age mom suggested. After the Sandy Hook, CT shooting there was at least one professor/trainer that stepped forward and encourage people/students to be trained to meet aggression with aggression. Of course many want us to hide in a corner and just die when it's our turn. This was a party; they had silverware/chairs/shoes/etc. - throw them at the attackers. If you're close enough; jump on them, hit, kick - anything except give up. Yes, people will still die doing this; but it can save many lives; including the lives of the people fighting back.

But this requires training. How do know it is a 'real' attack? You have to prepare for this because you have to have the mentality to respond with actions that could take another's life. It is just like firearm's training where you are taught to never point a loaded or unloaded weapon at anybody (unless you are 100% sure your life is in jeopardy).

I still like the idea of everybody carrying one shot Tasers (after training). Nobody is going to commit a mass shooting with one shot Tasers. But somebody could be in just the right position to stop an active shooter/attacker. I know that there are dangers using Tasers (including that it might not be effective). But, in general, it would give everybody a chance to protect themselves and others. There were about eight people in that conference room; if half of them were trained and had Tasers would this have happened or would it have been as bad as it was?

I somewhat agree with your idea. Unfortunately you only have one chance to execute your method of resistance.
Then you get killed for sure if your Taser doesn't get the job done.

Tasers are good for shoplifters. Not crazed martyrs.

Tasers don't cause shock-inducing blood loss. There is no better 60-second de-escalator!

Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr
Why do you keep saying "Obama's FBI"?
FBI press conference on right now, spokesman says, quote, "the FBI is apolitical."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The term was coined by an anti-Obama poster who suggested FBI is puppet-mastered by Obama who will tell them to never call it an act of terror.
The FBI is supposed to be "apolitical", but so is the US Attorney General AND the US Secretary of State. Today's "press conference" by James Comey was very interesting.

1. It was closed to the Press with only a small Press Pool and Video Tape.
2. Attorney General Lynch was present at FBI Headquarters as Comey's "handler" to make sure he said only what TeamObama wanted. Ideology Trumps National Security.
3. Comey tried an end-run around the Watchdog Lynch by attempting to take questions.
4. Loretta Lynch cut the feed. And that's all folks.

Comey must scare TeamObama to death - Comey IS known as a "straight shooter" who IS "apolitical".
TeamObama is attempting to control James Comey. TeamBush tried the same thing .... and lost that battle.

Isn't it interesting that the Killers family has hired a Team of Criminal Attorneys.
I wonder why they had to do that. They appear to be using all the Obama Talking Points.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Fox News gets it right, even when the other left-leaning media outfits cannot bear to do so. Here is the current Fox News headline:

'TERRORISM' HITS HOME: FBI finally calls investigation into Southern Cal massacre 'an act of terrorism'; female gunman took online oath to ISIS chief
Now it is time for Fox News to call this out:

Quote:
Senate Republicans vote down legislation that would block suspected terrorists, felons, mentally ill from buying guns
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2454448

Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Like I said before; there was a good reason for them to have so much unused ammo. First; have you ever been inside a building when large firearm was discharged? The sound is deafening. But that is not the reasons that I feel they left early. They could have stuck to a plan; only so many minutes and then leave. Or; the sound of the fire alarm and the cold water from the sprinklers were things they did not prepare for. And it could have been a combination of all of the above.

As far as training honest citizens: I never said to arm them with automatic weapons - like middle-age mom suggested. After the Sandy Hook, CT shooting there was at least one professor/trainer that stepped forward and encourage people/students to be trained to meet aggression with aggression. Of course many want us to hide in a corner and just die when it's our turn. This was a party; they had silverware/chairs/shoes/etc. - throw them at the attackers. If you're close enough; jump on them, hit, kick - anything except give up. Yes, people will still die doing this; but it can save many lives; including the lives of the people fighting back.

But this requires training. How do know it is a 'real' attack? You have to prepare for this because you have to have the mentality to respond with actions that could take another's life. It is just like firearm's training where you are taught to never point a loaded or unloaded weapon at anybody (unless you are 100% sure your life is in jeopardy).

I still like the idea of everybody carrying one shot Tasers (after training). Nobody is going to commit a mass shooting with one shot Tasers. But somebody could be in just the right position to stop an active shooter/attacker. I know that there are dangers using Tasers (including that it might not be effective). But, in general, it would give everybody a chance to protect themselves and others. There were about eight people in that conference room; if half of them were trained and had Tasers would this have happened or would it have been as bad as it was?
The vast majority of people are sheep in flock. Always waiting for the sheep dog to keep the wolves at bay.

What your proposing is a cultural change that needs to occur. Not very likely currently.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And I gave you the list of the countries that are widely and generally considered to comprise the Middle East, and I told you that the Muslim populations of those 10 countries only make up about 20% of the world's Muslim population.

If you dispute that, why don't you tell ALL of us how many Muslims live in each of those ten countries, and then figure out for yourself the percentage of the world's total Muslim population that number would be.

You hopefully aren't so dishonest that you are going to start telling us that Indonesia is in the Middle East. Or Bangladesh? Or Timor? Or China? Or Cambodia?

If you take the total number of Muslims in the 10 countries that are considered to comprise the Middle East, and compare that with the total number of Muslims in the world, then only about 20% of the world's Muslims live in the Middle East. Period.
Muslim populations in the Middle East are prone to over estimation. The number of guest workers in some ME countries greatly outnumbers nationals. Most guest workers are not Muslim.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:31 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I somewhat agree with your idea. Unfortunately you only have one chance to execute your method of resistance.
Then you get killed for sure if your Taser doesn't get the job done.

Tasers are good for shoplifters. Not crazed martyrs.

Tasers don't cause shock-inducing blood loss. There is no better 60-second de-escalator!

But what if you had a classroom or conference room with twenty/thirty or more Tasers? Would you volunteer to get hit with that many? It's better than nothing and the anti-gunners cannot go too nuts.

What I am doing is looking for any solution that stops this kind of senseless violence. Of course I would be happy carrying my old .22 Ranger single shot - but that isn't going to happen with todays thinking. Even Tasers can kill; but only by accident on the wrong people. So what choice are we left with that keeps most of the people happy and safe most of the time?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:33 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Family of two terrorists hires seeming law-students to hold a press conference. Brings new meaning to ad nauseam.
Google bombastic and it describes these two clowns. Hope they weren't being paid.

If there isn't any written links to a known Muslim terrorist group, it can only be workplace violence.

As Chuck Todd said yesterday, this will be a dark time in America.

No Kidding! Every time the one on the left spoke, I was reminded of Rick Moranis' courtroom scene from Ghostbusters II.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Farooq's family attorney said they were told no one in the family has ever seen the Mrs because she always completely covered.

15 minutes later ABC posts a picture of the Mrs.' face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies