Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 AM

254 posts, read 145,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
And those ot the right want to kill everyone who doesn't believe as they do. I see no difference.
Annnnnd no

Bigot much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's my belief that once you commit certain offenses, you give up some of your freedoms.

I have no issue with people convicted of violent crimes losing their right to purchase, possess or own a firearm.

I also would have no issue with a background checking system that would be effective; however, that simply is not possible. There is no system that can stop bad guys from getting guns that would not place too many restrictions upon law abiding citizens.

I can live with the crappy system we have in place, especially since my CHL cuts down on a lot of the issues for me. I would guess that background checks might stop an impulsive person from making a gun purchase to be used for nefarious reasons; therefore, I have no real issue with keeping it.

Yes, background checks will NEVER keep a person who really wants a gun from getting one; however, I can live with such a system as long as it's not overly burdensome to law abiding citizens. Right now, I just don't believe it's too heavy of a burden.
But if society (the courts in this case) considers that you are not enough of a threat to others that they let you walk free among us, then why can't you have ALL of your rights back? A guy who stabs someone can't buy a gun but can buy a knife. If the law thinks he will hurt someone else if he gets a weapon then don't let him out of prison.

I have a friend who committed a "white collar" felony in her early 20's, did her time and is a productive member of society now. No run-ins with the law in over 20 years but she can't buy a gun for self protection. She is lumped in with murders and rapists. But she can continue accounting field which is the area she was convicted in.

What would be "too heavy a burden" on law abiding citizens? You do know that everyone has different levels of of burden when purchasing a gun.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
But if society (the courts in this case) considers that you are not enough of a threat to others that they let you walk free among us, then why can't you have ALL of your rights back? A guy who stabs someone can't buy a gun but can buy a knife. If the law thinks he will hurt someone else if he gets a weapon then don't let him out of prison.

Because the ignorant masses have been brainwashed to think the 2nd Amendment, is limited to a firearm.
Did you know, Bowie Knives are illegal!!! LOL..... But not a Machete

Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM

254 posts, read 145,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

It's my belief that once you commit certain offenses, you give up some of your freedoms.
Absolutely correct, some people commit certain offenses, they should be treated accordingly as individuals, the law abiding population should be left alone.

But liberals want everyone to pay, so they cant be taken seriously.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't see the rationale for the objection to background checks.
Background checks don't work to prevent violent criminals from getting guns. By law, everyone purchasing a firearm from a merchant with a FFL is required to go through a background check. Key word is LAW - When was the last time you've heard of a criminal abiding by any laws?

Instant Background checks have been in place for over 20 years, all they do is register law-abiding gun owners and for the most part, they haven't done anything to prevent criminals from getting guns illegally.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 AM

285 posts, read 176,786 times
I don't mean to sound condescending, but I'd like to know why people don't share their stories as evidence to illustrate how bearing arms has enabled them to "protect" themselves? People always talk about their Second Ammendment right, but rarely acknowledge the impact of that right on their daily life. Again, I'm not denying that guns don't assist people with protection. I just don't understand why people don't often demonstrate with examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

I have a friend who committed a "white collar" felony in her early 20's, did her time and is a productive member of society now. No run-ins with the law in over 20 years but she can't buy a gun for self protection. She is lumped in with murders and rapists. But she can continue accounting field which is the area she was convicted in.

What would be "too heavy a burden" on law abiding citizens? You do know that everyone has different levels of of burden when purchasing a gun.

In the 1800's, when you got out of incarceration, you got your gun back.
The US. Constitution hasn't changed.

You are still a person after release from incarceration and it distinctly says, The Right Of The People

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Protect yourself from harm, but also protect yourself from evil. We talk about guns, terrorism, mental illness, drugs, crime, global warming, but hardly ever about evil.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't see the rationale for the objection to background checks.

“And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies” - VP Joe Biden

So how exactly are more background checks and more restrictions going to do anything when your administration isn't enforcing existing laws? Here's a wacky idea, enforce CURRENT laws for a few years and see if maybe they work or not before pushing for even more restrictive laws. Maybe toss in enforcing a few other laws like crossing the border illegally. Just maybe if the government actually did it's job and protected the US from enemies both foreign and domestic we wouldn't need more laws.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
all they do is register law-abiding gun owners
Which has been determined to be illegal for the government to do.

Look, we have the Patriot Act that blows the 4th amendment out of the Constitution all together.
We have free speech zones and we can no longer worship freely, that blow the 1st amendment out of the Constitution.

Why not blow the 2nd amendment out of the constitution.... Who's looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies