Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times

Advertisements

Read about this yesterday, and it truly was some monies and gifts exchanged to help fill the private prisons not only here, but all over the country. They did a damn good job, and now Karma has come their way. Was it really worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Read about this yesterday, and it truly was some monies and gifts exchanged to help fill the private prisons not only here, but all over the country. They did a damn good job, and now Karma has come their way. Was it really worth it?
there was a judge in PA who was convicted of helping fill private prisons for payola with harsh sentencing.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
How's it looking in 2015?

2014 ended with over 400 murders. There are over 400 murders as of today, December 2nd as well in Chicago thus far this year.

The Chicago population is nearly 3 million people. So 400-450 murders a year is a REALLY low murder rate.

People like to politicize the city and crime only because the president lived there prior to becoming president. No one cared about Chicago at all or that there were over 1000 murders a year there 30 years ago like you do now about the 400-500 people murdered there annually over the past 10 years.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And people who are on the outside looking in cannot figure out why there is no love lost between the black community and the police department. We all know, who grew up in inner-cities, that you could be killed or arrested for things that you did not do, by the police. I knew people who were stopped by the police, and had money on them....not from drugs.....and the police confiscated it.

They feel if they make all black people criminals with backgrounds, they will never be able to own a firearm... It has been that way since Jim Crow.

Government, turns people into criminals. Not the community.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Happened systematically in Philadelphia too.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
2014 ended with over 400 murders. There are over 400 murders as of today, December 2nd as well in Chicago thus far this year.

The Chicago population is nearly 3 million people. So 400-450 murders a year is a REALLY low murder rate.

People like to politicize the city and crime only because the president lived there prior to becoming president. No one cared about Chicago at all or that there were over 1000 murders a year there 30 years ago like you do now about the 400-500 people murdered there annually over the past 10 years.
People cared when it was over 1,000 murders. Thats when they passed their draconian gun laws. OK, if you say its low (I think so too, but I'm not a hand-wringing chicken little gun grabber who ignores some crimes with guns only to focus on other crimes with guns) then its low and no big deal.

If we know where each other is coming from, it makes more sense when we talk. I care about the demographics of murders in a given city, that's what I'm discussing it. We have veered off track a bit.

If you think, and rightly so, that 400 murders is no big deal then I guess we agree on that point.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
People cared when it was over 1,000 murders. Thats when they passed their draconian gun laws. OK, if you say its low (I think so too, but I'm not a hand-wringing chicken little gun grabber who ignores some crimes with guns only to focus on other crimes with guns) then its low and no big deal.

If we know where each other is coming from, it makes more sense when we talk. I care about the demographics of murders in a given city, that's what I'm discussing it. We have veered off track a bit.

If you think, and rightly so, that 400 murders is no big deal then I guess we agree on that point.

People outside of Chicago didn't care is what I meant. I don't live in Chicago (but I visit often due to having in-laws there and my spouse being a Chicago native). Even though I don't live there, any time I turn on the news I see stories about some sort of crime in Chicago and I don't watch WGN, it is only local news. When I lived in Atlanta, GA they even reported on "Chicago violence" in the local news. CNN and Fox especially focuses on Chicago today about any and all violent crime, especially those involving black people and they never state that the crime rates in Chicago are 50% lower than they used to be.

And I think anyone getting murdered is a big deal. Don't know if it was you, but the original poster I quoted said that there were "1000s" of murders in Chicago "every year." There ARE NOT thousands of murders every year in Chicago. They came back with an article about "shootings." Shootings are not murder/homicide, they are assault or attempted murder.

And FWIW, during the 1970s and 1980s there was an outrageous amount of murder in Chicago. My husband had 2 family members murdered in the 1970s. One of my best friends who is from Chicago had her dad and her uncle and a family friend murdered by 2 black teenagers (on the same day) in the mid 1970s. Her father was a successful small business man and was killed at the family business. So people who grew up in my era (I am a Gen Xer) know that murder, gangs, drugs, etc., were MUCH more commonplace in the past than today whereas even though there are still the above, the level to which those things occur/exist is not near what it used to be.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Thankfully, when I lived in the Dothan/Eufaula AL area I was never stopped by the cops. The areas around Dothan are really quite rural, and you shouldn't have any reasons to get pulled over, unless you're speeding, driving drunk, or your cars not up to standards.

Planting evidence, if proven true, is a terrible crime. May I suggest that if found guilty, they get all of the sentences of years they racked up on their arrests added together to equal their prison term?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
People outside of Chicago didn't care is what I meant. I don't live in Chicago (but I visit often due to having in-laws there and my spouse being a Chicago native). Even though I don't live there, any time I turn on the news I see stories about some sort of crime in Chicago and I don't watch WGN, it is only local news. When I lived in Atlanta, GA they even reported on "Chicago violence" in the local news. CNN and Fox especially focuses on Chicago today about any and all violent crime, especially those involving black people and they never state that the crime rates in Chicago are 50% lower than they used to be.

And I think anyone getting murdered is a big deal. Don't know if it was you, but the original poster I quoted said that there were "1000s" of murders in Chicago "every year." There ARE NOT thousands of murders every year in Chicago. They came back with an article about "shootings." Shootings are not murder/homicide, they are assault or attempted murder.

And FWIW, during the 1970s and 1980s there was an outrageous amount of murder in Chicago. My husband had 2 family members murdered in the 1970s. One of my best friends who is from Chicago had her dad and her uncle and a family friend murdered by 2 black teenagers (on the same day) in the mid 1970s. Her father was a successful small business man and was killed at the family business. So people who grew up in my era (I am a Gen Xer) know that murder, gangs, drugs, etc., were MUCH more commonplace in the past than today whereas even though there are still the above, the level to which those things occur/exist is not near what it used to be.
I'm a Gen-X'er too. I remember well the crime and murder rates of the 70's and then resurgence in early 90's.

I always point to the dropping crime rates as well, since it is a significant drop. Although we also shouldn't ignore the rise in murders seen in two cities starting in August of 2014 either.

Overall, I think it comes down to glass half full glass half empty on where you come down on the murders/crime/ stuff for any particular city.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uh okay. What's the topic again?
The topic was about the fact that the officers specifically targeted African Americans, not white individuals.

So while it may have happened to all races across the country, this particular police department is admitting to only doing it to people of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies