Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times

Advertisements

Wow. I can't believe it. There are actually some conservative types on the city-data forum? Here I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Here's one that ruffles my feathers: "Celebrate Diversity"

Ok...what the heck does that mean? In context it seems to mean:
1) if something is different, it cannot be criticized, or
2) it's different, so it must be embraced, even if it appears to be repulsive at first glance, or
3) there isn't any truth to be known, so stop even trying; everyone is right (except for those who don't agree with this premise), or
4) contradictory statements really can be true at the same time; the Law of Non-Contradiction is no longer valid, or
5) no one can be wrong, except those who believe that someone can be wrong, or
6) no one can be wrong, because that might hurt their feelings, and feelings are more important than arriving at truth, or
7) 2+2 = 5, if it makes you feel better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 AM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
I was recently at a youth sporting even in which they would not allow the other team to run up the score under the premise;

"We are all winners and there are no losers"

"It might hurt someones feelings"

So, they turned off the score board once the other team had a commanding lead. I was thinking why are they rewarding imperfection and punishing perfection. It sort of reminded me about the Washington Redskins complaining about the New England Patriots "running up score" by not pulling out their starters as if, because they are kicking the crap out of your ill prepared team, that somehow justifies the idea they should let up on the intensity and to take it easy on your team. The teams dignity is tied to not being blown out at the expense of the other team letting up, that just seems backwards to me. Shouldn't a teams dignity be tied to actually coming prepared to compete and not allowing a team to kick the crap out of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here's a slogan that annoys me:

HEAD ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD! HEAD ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE HEAD!

You just ruined my day!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
I particularly liked a bumper sticker I saw a few years back in Montana, on a few rugged pickups here and there. Montana was having a hard time then, with the notorious "Free Men" holding off the "Feds" for weeks at their rural compound, the "Unabomber" Ted Kacyzinski being hauled out of his isolated hideaway, and various group of "kooks", wackos, and "conspiracy theory" types popping up in the news here and there with stories of "black helicopters" etc.
Finally Montana's image became pretty tarnished. Then the "Mad Cow" story came in from Great Britain, at which time someone ran off a bunch of bumper stickers for Montana folks..."AT LEAST OUR COWS ARE SANE"

Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
I was recently at a youth sporting even in which they would not allow the other team to run up the score under the premise;

"We are all winners and there are no losers"

"It might hurt someones feelings"

So, they turned off the score board once the other team had a commanding lead. I was thinking why are they rewarding imperfection and punishing perfection. It sort of reminded me about the Washington Redskins complaining about the New England Patriots "running up score" by not pulling out their starters as if, because they are kicking the crap out of your ill prepared team, that somehow justifies the idea they should let up on the intensity and to take it easy on your team. The teams dignity is tied to not being blown out at the expense of the other team letting up, that just seems backwards to me. Shouldn't a teams dignity be tied to actually coming prepared to compete and not allowing a team to kick the crap out of them.
I hate this kind of thing unless it's something like the Special Olympics or with little bitty kids (preschoolers).

Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
truthhurts - Mr. Mackey is the school counselor, m'kay

List of staff at South Park Elementary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM

194 posts, read 361,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I find any slogan from the mouth of a politician to be laughable.
I agree, though I take it a step further in stating that I find most politicians to be laughable, not just their slogans.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM

194 posts, read 361,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Wow. I can't believe it. There are actually some conservative types on the city-data forum? Here I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Here's one that ruffles my feathers: "Celebrate Diversity"

Ok...what the heck does that mean? In context it seems to mean:
1) if something is different, it cannot be criticized, or
2) it's different, so it must be embraced, even if it appears to be repulsive at first glance, or
3) there isn't any truth to be known, so stop even trying; everyone is right (except for those who don't agree with this premise), or
4) contradictory statements really can be true at the same time; the Law of Non-Contradiction is no longer valid, or
5) no one can be wrong, except those who believe that someone can be wrong, or
6) no one can be wrong, because that might hurt their feelings, and feelings are more important than arriving at truth, or
7) 2+2 = 5, if it makes you feel better
Love it! I agree!!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM

269 posts, read 542,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

But seriously, another one the gets me is "bringing people together" Hells bells, I dont WANT to be brought "together" unless I know first exactly what kinda tent I am getting into!
Hahaha! Yeeeeah. I've spent a fair amount of time and money and effort to get AWAY from people!

I can't figure out the "change" thing, either. Change for America! We're working on a platform of CHANGE.

oooookay, then! Unless these guys plan to shower me with spare nickels and quarters, I'd prefer to avoid nonspecific CHANGE FOR AMERICA.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Hahaha! Yeeeeah. I've spent a fair amount of time and money and effort to get AWAY from people!

I can't figure out the "change" thing, either. Change for America! We're working on a platform of CHANGE.

oooookay, then! Unless these guys plan to shower me with spare nickels and quarters, I'd prefer to avoid nonspecific CHANGE FOR AMERICA.
Just a condescending way that the elites talk down to the "masses"....it's insulting, it's done at the level of a 12-year old, and it avoids anything "sticky". These slogans avoid any chance for holding their "speakers" accountable, because they really don't SAY anything....

"CHANGE" ?........Winning the lottery, losing weight, and a job promotion are all forms of "change". So are going to jail, losing your home, and contracting syphilis...ALL are 'changes".......

"DIVERSITY"?....A staff of workers which includes blacks, whites, Hispanics, women, the physically challenged, and lesbians, is "diverse"......So is a staff of workers which includes anarchists, communists, MS-13 gang bangers, thieves, child molesters on parole, exhibitionists, drug users, Ku Klux Klansmen, and al-Qaeda sympathizers....ALL examples of "diversity"

"EQUALITY"?......Everyone being allowed the same opportunity to strive for a goal would be one form of "equality".... Giving everyone the same result, regardless of their efforts, no matter how much or how little they contribute, is ANOTHER form of "equality"...

"REDUCING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION"?.....Illegal immigration could be reduced by punishing employers, and removing the incentive to come here illegally. ....it could ALSO be reduced if we simply opened the border, and gave all illegals amnesty today. That way, we'd have NO illegals at all...BOTH methods would "reduce" the problem of illegals...

So there you go--"Change, Diversity, Equality, Reducing Illegal Immigration".....are we in favor of them, or not?...well......maybe, maybe not...let's ask our politicians, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies