Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:52 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,290,577 times

Advertisements

Overkill? pfftt! They should have used a anti-tank missiles.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:59 AM

17,171 posts, read 21,838,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
They say 23 cops from 7 agencies fired 380 rounds at the terrorists in San Berdo. Is that overkill? Considering Bonnie and Clyde only warranted 186 rounds.

How dead should we make a terrorist? And where did the rest of the bullets end up?

It seems to me this was a little like the last scene of "The Smiths."
Not when they already shot 30+ people (12 known dead)!

It works out to be 16.5 bullets per officer......not even two clips each (handguns). Considering today's firepower compared to 80 years ago with Bonnie and Clyde I suspect it was harder to fire 186 rounds back then!

Safe to say the resale value on that Suburban is "shot"

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 20,352,806 times
Quote:
They say 23 cops from 7 agencies fired 380 rounds at the terrorists in San Berdo. Is that overkill? Considering Bonnie and Clyde only warranted 186 rounds.

How dead should we make a terrorist? And where did the rest of the bullets end up?

Same thing happened in Boston when they found the kid hiding in the boat

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bos...d-chaos-n80236

Quote:
But one of the snipers on the roof saw the object and began shooting. It
sparked a round of what is known as "contagious fire," where other officers with
their fingers on the trigger began peppering the boat with bullets.

He was found without a gun

Quote:
Ed Davis, the former Boston police commissioner, declined to fault the cops
who took part in the shootout and subsequent hunt for Dzhokar Tsarnaev, but he
acknowledged that the need to better prepare officers for such chaotic scenes.
I can fully understand how the chain of events can elevate adrenaline levels to the point where such things happen. Yeah, it might be excessive, but there's an easy way to avoid having 400 bullets fired at you....don't commit mass murder!!!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-05-2015 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 12-04-2015, 06:08 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,213,693 times
What did one expect, a old western style, duel at high noon?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:08 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,470,910 times
Quote:

Bullets are cheap. All bullets fired cost less than a single gunshot wound to an innocent person would have.

I am sure ISIS appreciates the support though.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,552,103 times
Quote:

Please explain how you would of handled the situation. I really would like to know what you would of done differently. A trial and housing them for life would of run into millions of dollars for these worthless people.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,404,951 times
Excessive force? No. Inadequate training for these scenarios? Potentially.

The Boston Bombing manhunt illustrated the lack of I guess you could call it anti insurgency training among beat cops. There were too many cops operating independently and they were interfering with the tactical teams that were deployed. From outside it certainly appears the same happened here. I am not sure what the solution is but when you have so many beat cops deployed you cant get the armored car through all the cars you have a problem.

Perhaps beat cops should have a process of becoming a 4 person squad using one vehicle when a scenario like this occurs, this might reduce hogging the air and might make for more cohesive responses. This would reduce vehicles deployed and might ensure they operate more effectively.

Boston certainly illustrated how important it is squad cars be equipped with semi auto rifles tho. BPD did not and does not have rifles available to beat cops (mostly). This does not help efficacy of such a dangerous manhunt.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:51 AM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I only wish patrol officers had better equipment.... Not having it confiscated by Obama and stored in some federal impound for his will. Question his tactics....
Has Obama been confiscating guns from city police? Really? Any links to that information? I'm sure some city police chiefs and mayors would have said something about it. Or are they all in on the conspiracy?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 AM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Excessive force? No. Inadequate training for these scenarios? Potentially.

The Boston Bombing manhunt illustrated the lack of I guess you could call it anti insurgency training among beat cops. There were too many cops operating independently and they were interfering with the tactical teams that were deployed. From outside it certainly appears the same happened here. I am not sure what the solution is but when you have so many beat cops deployed you cant get the armored car through all the cars you have a problem.

Perhaps beat cops should have a process of becoming a 4 person squad using one vehicle when a scenario like this occurs, this might reduce hogging the air and might make for more cohesive responses. This would reduce vehicles deployed and might ensure they operate more effectively.

Boston certainly illustrated how important it is squad cars be equipped with semi auto rifles tho. BPD did not and does not have rifles available to beat cops (mostly). This does not help efficacy of such a dangerous manhunt.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery.
One of the big lessons learned years ago was that "beat cops" should generally not sit on their haunches and wait for SWAT in these kinds of situations.

But you do have a point about them having better tactics, such as each set of three or four, as they reach the area, combining into a fire team or squad and operating as such rather than as separate individuals.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 AM

833 posts, read 655,413 times
Quote:

Would have preferred a slow slaughter like these worms do to their animals every day and justify it as halal. But I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.