Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,818,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Fair enough. Provide guns to teenagers without their parent's consent or knowledge. All paid for by the taxpayer of course.
Let me know when you plan on running for office. You will have my financial an volunteer support!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:19 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, you're right, someone slipped through the cracks, so what's the point?
It's been made hundreds of times. People intent on doing something like this do not care about laws. They expect to be dead shortly anyway.

Quote:
We should just throw up our hands and admit defeat. We are all at the mercy of every unhinged, deranged, mentally unstable person with a gun and there is absolutely no point in even trying to deal with the problem. We should just get used to the carnage.
No, we should have a discussion about how we can better address the mentally unstable.

Quote:
The gun lovers have this country by the short hairs, and the overall response seems to be, oh, well, tomorrow there will be another mass shooting. Just accept it and hope you're not one of the victims.
It's the Constitution you have a problem with. As I've noted many times, I don't even own a gun. I have no desire to get one but I'm not going to cede my right to do so to the government.

Quote:
Is that really the best we can do?
I don't think so. Universal health care, better addressing the mentally ill are two things we could do but refuse to.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:22 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,168,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I hope you don't own a gun because this post is truly unbalanced.
There you go again Ed! GOBSMACKED in the face by the truth!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:27 PM

18,986 posts, read 8,996,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't think so. Universal health care, better addressing the mentally ill are two things we could do but refuse to.
Something else that is consistently blocked by Conservatives. Basically, every avenue we have to potentially address the problem is blocked by the right. So my earlier contention was correct--we will have to simply get used to the carnage. It's obvious that any attempt to stem it will be opposed no matter how common sense.

As long as we allow the NRA to control the narrative, I guess we get what we deserve. Which amounts to more mass shootings than there are days in the year. Welcome to America.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Something else that is consistently blocked by Conservatives.
I have no idea what that has to do with my argument. I could also note that when the "liberals" had the chance to do something good here they blew it, but will that solve anything?

You asked what we could do. I answered.

Quote:
Basically, every avenue we have to potentially address the problem is blocked by the right. So my earlier contention was correct--we will have to simply get used to the carnage. It's obvious that any attempt to stem it will be opposed no matter how common sense.
Seems to me that the "right" is willing to discuss dealing with the mentally ill. That isn't the discussion though is it? Do you suppose it will ever be?

Quote:
And as long as we allow the NRA to control the narrative, I guess we get what we deserve. Which amounts to more mass shootings than there are days in the year. Welcome to America.
You aren't interested in solutions. Your only interest is in fighting your boogeymen.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I don't want to stop you or i from buying any gun at all!

I am against!

According to a 2013 report by Third Way, there are roughly 500,000 gun crimes every year in the United States. In 9 of 10 gun crimes where the gun was successfully traced, the person who bought it was not the person who used it in the crime. The report also said that 1 in 3 crime guns has crossed state lines, with crime guns traced in New York, New Jersey and Maryland often coming from Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. The report concluded that guns are purchased in the legal market and then move into the illegal market, and gun trafficking serves as a pipeline that delivers guns into the hands of criminals.

CLOSING THE IRON PIPELINE
That would already be illegal. The authorities would rather waste time listening in on the phone calls of teen girls.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,646,638 times
Quote:
Before a cop is allowed on the force and to carry a weapon he or she must undergo a psych evaluation. I know because my really unhinged ex-brother-in-law was turned down for our local PD when he failed such an evaluation. So why is it so outrageous that we do the same for anyone who wants a gun?

Every time there's a mass shooting we hear the same thing--the guy was mentally unstable. Yet we are not allowed to evaluate for mental stability before allowing anyone and everyone to buy a gun. It makes no sense.
dont you think it is a good idea that before we give someone a badge and arrest powers that we do in fact find out whether or not they are able to use them wisely?

as for buying a gun, and being forced to undergo a psych eval, you dont see a problem with this? you dont see that this is unconstitutional as it infringes on the right to keep and bear arms? you dont see this as forcing someone to do something without due process? you dont see the inherent issues with abuse of power in this?

as for most of the rampage killers, most of them obtained their firearms ILLEGALLY, so how would a psych eval have stopped them?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,395,051 times
Quote:
Something else that is consistently blocked by Conservatives. Basically, every avenue we have to potentially address the problem is blocked by the right. So my earlier contention was correct--we will have to simply get used to the carnage. It's obvious that any attempt to stem it will be opposed no matter how common sense.

As long as we allow the NRA to control the narrative, I guess we get what we deserve. Which amounts to more mass shootings than there are days in the year. Welcome to America.
No, no, no..Mental hospitals were closed due to the Leftists saying it was violating people's rights to have them locked up in mental institutions. Are you suggesting forcing people to get mental health treatment? How are you going to do that exactly. You must be very young and naïve, you know next to nothing about the real world and how things came about. In your scenario, what constitutes mental illness and who gets to decide? Who tells the mentally ill that they must get treatment?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,238,179 times
Quote:
The bill, put forth by State Rep Stacey Newman (D) would require gun buyers in Missouri to undergo the same 72 hour wait period as women seeking abortions in that state are forced to follow. The bill would also require potential buyers to watch a 30 minute video covering fatal gun injuries while accompanied by a licensed gun dealer. The dealer would also have to be located at least 120 miles from the buyer’s home. They would have to meet with a physician who would evaluate them to see “if such firearm purchase would increase such purchaser’s risk of experiencing an adverse physical, emotional, or other health reaction” 72 hours before being allowed to make the purchase.

Missouri Dem’s bill puts gun sales under same rules as abortions: 72-hour wait and medical evaluation

Of course, the Republican controlled legislature will reject the bill. Their concern for the "sanctity of life" only applies to the pre-born.

Everything up to and including the 30-minite video makes sense. After that, it's cuckoo-land. Sounds like something straight out of The Onion.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No, no, no..Mental hospitals were closed due to the Leftists saying it was violating people's rights to have them locked up in mental institutions. Are you suggesting forcing people to get mental health treatment?
If they are violent? James Holmes threatened his therapist.

Quote:
How are you going to do that exactly. You must be very young and naïve, you know next to nothing about the real world and how things came about. In your scenario, what constitutes mental illness and who gets to decide? Who tells the mentally ill that they must get treatment?
We decide who is mentally ill now don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.