Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,988,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Before the ad hominems fly I am not advocating this. I am a gun owner myself and enjoy recreational shooting. I carry concealed when I think I need to and have a concealed permit. We need to be realistic.

If you want to deal with the gun violence problem, then you have to take the bull by the horns. Background checks and bans on certain kind of guns etc are half-measures that will not solve the problem or even dent it. The only thing that will work is a TOTAL BAN. Guns could be allowed for certain people and certain circumstances such as hunting but otherwise the goal is a gun free society to the maximum extent possible. It could take a generation or more to collect all the guns and go about re-programming the American mind against gun ownership (like with did with smoking). You would never get them all but you would get most of them and we would be a much safer society in the end.
You proposed this idea, how would you enforce it? Would you make it voluntary or mandatory? If made voluntary this concept would fall flat on it face, if made mandatory, are you going to search every house in the United States for fire arms? To enforce this you would have to first repeal the 2nd amendment followed by the 4th amendment, this isn't going to happen.

If you propose a TOTAL GUN BAN, then this would have to apply to everyone, including the police force, under the constitution no one is exempt from the law. A Total Gun Ban is just that, TOTAL.

Are you willing to sacrifice your liberty and freedoms for temporary security, for it will be temporary, a totalitarian form of government will soon be at the heals of your proposal and no one will then have security, liberty or freedom.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,344,466 times
Good for Obama, he may be weak and sympathetic to Muslims but guns should not be sold to anybody who cannot pass a basic background check.

I had to pass one and so should anybody else who wants to own and carry a gun.

It' just common sense.

And don't pull that 2nd amendment BS.

People were also allowed to own other people when that amendment was passed.

Now get out there and buy up all the ammo before it's all gone.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 AM

13,584 posts, read 21,358,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
His move won't impact me as I only buy from a dealer. I would like to see the statistics that show mass shootings are committed by people who bought their guns by using this alleged loophole. This is basically pandering and show boating. Obama never misses an opportunity to use a crisis to further his agenda. Sadly he never seems to be able actually focus on what the real issues are or what the majority of us want.
They know a move like this won't stop criminals much, their agenda is to make it harder for legal citizens to get guns period. I am sure closing the "guns how loophole" is really a agenda to close them down completely including dealers who run back ground checks and do everything legally.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,344,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
They know a move like this won't stop criminals much, their agenda is to make it harder for legal citizens to get guns period. I am sure closing the "guns how loophole" is really a agenda to close them down completely including dealers who run back ground checks and do everything legally.
Sorry, but your paranoia is evident.

Explain why there are thousands of legal gun owners who are not afraid that confiscation is part of any background check system.

Did you read someplace other than NRA literature that all Democrats in congress are in favor of confiscation?

Seems to me the only people worried about confiscation are those people who can't pass a background check and might have a few or more of illegally acquired guns.

Let's face it many of us know people like that who own guns but we would never turn them in because they are "good people".

So I have no problem with the govt. weeding out who should and should not be buying firearms.

It's only common sense.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM

13,584 posts, read 21,358,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry, but your paranoia is evident.

Explain why there are thousands of legal gun owners who are not afraid that confiscation is part of any background check system.

Did you read someplace other than NRA literature that all Democrats in congress are in favor of confiscation?

Seems to me the only people worried about confiscation are those people who can't pass a background check and might have a few or more of illegally acquired guns.

Let's face it many of us know people like that who own guns but we would never turn them in because they are "good people".

So I have no problem with the govt. weeding out who should and should not be buying firearms.

It's only common sense.
Have you ever been to a gun show? 99% are registered FFL dealers who take their gun store inventory and set it up at a gun show. If you buy a firearm they call you in, you fill out the paperwork and if there is a waiting period you must wait and pick up the gun later.

As far as those that might stand in a corner and sell a gun off their back, the only way you could stop that is patrol the gun show and btw when you enter a gunshow there are usually police officers at the door checking you in. But what do you do about those that stand in the parking lot selling guns out of their car? See now how the "loophole" is propaganda?

Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 AM

52,549 posts, read 34,276,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
OP stated, yet ANOTHER wise decision from the president. I'm sorry but out of sheer curiosity, what were the others??
the OP praises obama for wiping his ass properly. it's not exactly a high-threshold deal.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:55 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,322,981 times
Default Kudos to Pres Obama; Executive Order to close gun loophole

Well that's that, we are all safe now

Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Read that back again and include the "well-regulated militia" part that the NRA refuses to post in their headquarters. Then read Warren Burger's thoughts on it, or even the 2008 Heller decision that still gives the government the right to regulate guns.
ok, one more time, read this about what the phrase "well regulated" meant when the founding fathers wrote the second amendment;

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

Quote:
The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it

Old 12-05-2015, 10:40 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,537,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Background checks for all gun purchases-outrageous! LOL.
Well, it's about damn time. Even so, there will still be far too many clowns buying far too many guns.

There currently are background checks required for purchase of a gun. How is that working out for you cupcake? Anything slowed down? No? Pass more illegal laws without going through congress and that will fix everything

Old 12-05-2015, 10:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,537,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Or cancelled by President Trump.

Personally, I would vote for anyone who vows to cancel any and all of Obamas EOs, especially those that he claims to be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.