Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
All this shows is most gun owners are law breakers who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law they are breaking.
LOL. Only one detail. We make the laws!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 06:14 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I said Clinton, not Bush, decided to liberate Iraq using our military. It's true. Watch and listen to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457jp8VGhEE

Did Clinton throw Hans Blix and his team of weapons inspectors out and begin bombing? Sorry it was Gomer`s fiasco and no one else. It doesn`t matter what anyone said 5 years prior.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post

Witty and an accurate description of the NYT.

I'm a life-long New Yorker. I used to read it when I was young in the late 1960's and 70's. At that time of course it was leftist. I watched it become more so in the 80's and 90's, and stopped reading it.

Since Bill Keller became editor in 2003, and his hand-picked successor Jill Abramson in 2011, I don't even know how to describe its political bent. The only word that comes to mind is extreme. It is certainly the most extreme leftist rag of a "newspaper" in any major city in the country. I put "newspaper" in quotes because its leftist outlook is not contained in its editorials and op-eds (which present only the leftist perspective about 90% of the time). That leftism seeps into what's supposed to be their hard news. They do this by positioning articles that meet their favor on the front page and burying ones that don't deep inside the paper, and sometimes not reporting them at all. They often phrase article headlines in a misleading way, and their reporters are chosen to reflect the views of the editor.

So I wouldn't give them a dime Occasionally I'll read an article for free on-line. On a side note, much of their readership is off the wall leftist in a very intolerant way. A few weeks ago, in a rare occurrence, the NYT published an op-ed which clearly conflicted with the leftist position. In comments, the readership ferociously berated the editors for even permitting such an opinion to appear. That reaction was shocking to me, but maybe it shouldn't have been.
It was a NYT reporter named Judith Miller that provided the breathless accounts of Saddam`s massive stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons. There`s nothing leftist about lying your country into war. Did you give them a dime then?

Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Did Clinton throw Hans Blix and his team of weapons inspectors out and begin bombing?
Blix actually reported the danger right before the war:
Quote:
"I have mentioned the issue of anthrax to the Council on previous occasions and I come back to it as it is an important one.

Iraq has declared that it produced about 8,500 litres of this biological warfare agent, which it states it unilaterally destroyed in the summer of 1991. Iraq has provided little evidence for this production and no convincing evidence for its destruction.

There are strong indications that Iraq produced more anthrax than it declared, and that at least some of this was retained after the declared destruction date. It might still exist. Either it should be found and be destroyed under UNMOVIC supervision or else convincing evidence should be produced to show that it was, indeed, destroyed in 1991."

Dr. Hans Blix, Chief UN Weapons Inspector
Addressing the UN Security Council
January 27, 2003
Quote:
"The nerve agent VX is one of the most toxic ever developed.

13,000 chemical bombs were dropped by the Iraqi Air Force between 1983 and 1988, while Iraq has declared that 19,500 bombs were consumed during this period. Thus, there is a discrepancy of 6,500 bombs. The amount of chemical agent in these bombs would be in the order of about 1,000 tonnes."

January 27, 2003
Quote:

"Also associated with these missiles and related developments is the import, which has been taking place during the last few years, of a number of items despite the sanctions, including as late as December 2002. Foremost amongst these is the import of 380 rocket engines which may be used for the Al Samoud 2 [missiles that deliver biological and chemical weapons]."

January 27, 2003
Dr. Hans Blix Update to the UN Security Council, 27 January 2003

I can see you know very little about it, and you're just parroting talking points.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
For the first time in the paper's history, they place a commentary column on the front page calling for a final solution to gun violence in America.
We knew this was coming from such a reliably leftist rag.
Really?

New York Times Puts Gun Control Editorial on Page 1 - ABC News

Lol, the NYT puts an editorial on its front page every day. They just don't call it an editorial.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:28 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
I had a choice of subscribing to the New York Times and The New York Review of Concentration Camps -- I mean, books -- and chose the latter.

It was less expensive but equally stupid.

People in New York are stuck in 1941, obsessing about the Wannsee Conference and "white people."

Yes, I keep track of the liberal mindset, kind of the way a doctor studies cancer.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I can see you know very little about it, and you're just parroting talking points.
15 days after this....still no weapons of mass destruction. Were you taken in by the 935 lies?
Full text: Hans Blix's briefing to the UN security council | World news | The Guardian

Study: Bush, aides made 935 false statements in run-up to war - CNN.com

I know very little about it but I know 4,500 soldiers died for defense contractor`s entitlements. Not all of us are so easily played.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Editorial = Opinion
Everyone is allowed their Opinion, just so long as people realize that Opinion does not always equate to Truth, Reality or the Right Thing to do. Reality, no one is going to turn their guns in, no stronger gun laws will make us safer from criminals or crazies, no gun laws will stop Americans from owning firearms. So instead of giving Opinions based on beliefs and wishful thinking and then trying to apply them to law or the real world try finding some actual facts instead and then applying those facts to the real issue. A reminder of reality is to keep in mind that Colorado had tough gun laws including a ban on all assault weapons and yet Columbine still happened, and that the two brother terrorist's that murdered and maimed people at the Boston Marathon did so using homemade bombs and not guns. Guns are not the issue, people have own guns in this Nation since it was founded, terrorists, criminals and those with deep mental problems are the issue, focus on the disease and not the symptoms and you might actually make some headway, don't and get used to being sick.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:47 AM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:

Reading that report I had a different take, yes there were some problems but it is well documented that Hans Blix and his team wanted to continue, the administration wanted to go in immediately. Iraq was mostly cooperating, what was the rush.

Quote:
It has regard to the procedures, mechanisms, infrastructure and practical arrangements to pursue inspections and seek verifiable disarmament. While inspection is not built on the premise of confidence but may lead to confidence if it is successful, there must nevertheless be a measure of mutual confidence from the very beginning in running the operation of inspection.

Iraq has on the whole cooperated rather well so far with UNMOVIC in this field. The most important point to make is that access has been provided to all sites we have wanted to inspect and with one exception it has been prompt. We have further had great help in building up the infrastructure of our office in Baghdad and the field office in Mosul. Arrangements and services for our plane and our helicopters have been good. The environment has been workable.

Our inspections have included universities, military bases, presidential sites and private residences. Inspections have also taken place on Fridays, the Muslim day of rest, on Christmas day and New Years day. These inspections have been conducted in the same manner as all other inspections. We seek to be both effective and correct.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Yeah they showed that nonsense from that left wing rag in my own city's Sunday paper! Hey NYC (Kalifornia too) how about doing us all a favor, and keep your twisted progressive policies from filtering to other parts of the country?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies