Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:41 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times

Advertisements

I know that there's a dedicated thread, but hopefully this one, will just address the tax credits, instead of complaining about the law itself overall.

I made, about 27k in 2013. When through a real rough patch employment wise, so I qualified for Medicare for all of 2014 and 1/2 of 2015. When my new jobs, felt "safe" I reported the change in income and conservatively reported what I thought my income would be in 2015, again 27k.

In 2014, with the same income, my monthly payment in WA, with the tax credit was only 15 dollars a month. Well, in 2015, for the last 3 months, I had to pay, same income, 80 dollars. Huh?

Same income, they wanted, for the same plan, 125 dollars (with a tax credit obviously that has been reduced). I am pretty sure, that my income, will be at least 36k this year, hopefully more. Well, when I looked at the price, for the same plan, at a 36k income, they then wanted 250.00, with a tax credit of not even 50 dollars I think. That's almost like it was before the ACA came into play.

This is affordable insurance? WTH? Unless, it's the insurance companies themselves, trying to destroy the plan by raising the premiums every year, but that doesn't make sense, since, this law which sucks compared to a single payer plan, basically forces people to buy their products.

So again, have you noticed, a lot less help in not even 2 years, with the tax credits as well?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:57 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Premiums are rising for most people, as are copys and deductibles. If you were subsidzed, taxpayers were paying your share.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
At $300/mo without subsidy, I'm guessing it is an unusable bronze plan? I would love to only pay $300/mo. My COBRA is $675 and to find a comparable policy on the market I would be looking at $1,000/mo for just me without dental and vision.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
How Marco Rubio might be responsible for higher Obamacare premiums

Old 01-01-2016, 09:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I know that there's a dedicated thread, but hopefully this one, will just address the tax credits, instead of complaining about the law itself overall.

I made, about 27k in 2013. When through a real rough patch employment wise, so I qualified for Medicare for all of 2014 and 1/2 of 2015. When my new jobs, felt "safe" I reported the change in income and conservatively reported what I thought my income would be in 2015, again 27k.

In 2014, with the same income, my monthly payment in WA, with the tax credit was only 15 dollars a month. Well, in 2015, for the last 3 months, I had to pay, same income, 80 dollars. Huh?

Same income, they wanted, for the same plan, 125 dollars (with a tax credit obviously that has been reduced). I am pretty sure, that my income, will be at least 36k this year, hopefully more. Well, when I looked at the price, for the same plan, at a 36k income, they then wanted 250.00, with a tax credit of not even 50 dollars I think. That's almost like it was before the ACA came into play.

This is affordable insurance? WTH? Unless, it's the insurance companies themselves, trying to destroy the plan by raising the premiums every year, but that doesn't make sense, since, this law which sucks compared to a single payer plan, basically forces people to buy their products.

So again, have you noticed, a lot less help in not even 2 years, with the tax credits as well?

Thanks.
Awwwwww.....that's a shame. But you trusted the democrats, huh?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Oh...I didn't see this prior to my first response. Blaming republicans, huh? Lol

Old 01-01-2016, 09:54 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Insurance is unaffordable because medical treatment is very, very expensive in the US. There is no way to make it reachable for working people without throwing the whole thing out and going to a universal tax-supported system. Get ready to dig for that too. Medical costs are 1/6 of the entire US GDP. We are going to have to pay taxes and give up some of our bombs, planes, aircraft carriers and wars to cover the costs. For that you will get the peace of mind of being able to go to a doctor or hospital when you need it, get the care you need and pay a nominal co-pay. The rest of the developed world already has this, of course. They don't have the option of putting boots on the ground in places their citizens could not find on a map, however.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Insurance is unaffordable because medical treatment is very, very expensive in the US. There is no way to make it reachable for working people without throwing the whole thing out and going to a universal tax-supported system. Get ready to dig for that too. Medical costs are 1/6 of the entire US GDP. We are going to have to pay taxes and give up some of our bombs, planes, aircraft carriers and wars to cover the costs.
Barry just fixed it with the 2 trillion dollar "affordable care act". Remember that whole big thing with Biden and "this is a big ****ing deal"?

You're not going to contradict that are you?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:

Thanks.

So this year will be $200/mth and you are whining! Most employer plans charge employees MORE. And $80 was horrible LOL!!. that is what many pay for cell phones or the internet or cable..less of a priority than Health.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
At $300/mo without subsidy, I'm guessing it is an unusable bronze plan? I would love to only pay $300/mo. My COBRA is $675 and to find a comparable policy on the market I would be looking at $1,000/mo for just me without dental and vision.
My COBRA is $623 and there isn't a plan on or off the exchange here in California that even comes close, at any price. There is no amount of money I can pay to get a plan like mine because that product does not exist for individuals here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies