Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times

Advertisements

....an immigration policy that favors the skilled and educated and readily to be big contributors to our society, tax revenue, economy, etc.?

If as a result of such policy means 90% of immigrants come from China, Europe, and India, so be it.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:19 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
Yes
As a legal immigrant, I am intimately aware of both systems. US system is flawed.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Yes
As a legal immigrant, I am intimately aware of both systems. US system is flawed.
.....is that why you ended up in the US and not Canada or Australia?

Old 12-05-2015, 01:40 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I think so, way back in the day they didn't let people immigrate here unless they had a "sponsor" aka a way of being supported so that they didn't become a drain on the country.

Many other nations do that and I don't know why we stopped doing that, and again, not to be mean spirited but we're allowing way too many unskilled workers into the country, particularly the Mexicans and other Central and South American countries to come in. I've heard numerous arguments saying how they aren't a drain on society, but I mean how could they not be, you make 10 dollars an hour, have 4 or 5 kids in school, use the emergency rooms as routine health care and you are gonna say that the taxes you pay at those wages are gonna offset all of those costs that I just mentioned... I mean this shyt isn't rocket science.

Not trying to rant here, but they've taken good jobs away from US citizens and have driven down wages and this in turn has actually hurt blacks and other minority groups here and people on the lower socioeconomic strata in general.

I say all this yet I do get why people come here, legally and illegally, when you're dirt poor you are gonna do what you have to do to survive, not making excuses for these illegals, just pointing out human nature.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Doesn't the US already do this? If you are unskilled, your chances of living here permanently (without a family connection) are slim to none.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:48 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Doesn't the US already do this? If you are unskilled, your chances of living here permanently (without a family connection) are slim to none.
You have obviously never been to Southern California.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:49 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If that's the case, you will see tons very skilled workers at all the companies across the country, and not some temp workers on some visa for a year or two, and certainly not out numbered by illegal Mexicans and Central Americans.

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....an immigration policy that favors the skilled and educated and readily to be big contributors to our society, tax revenue, economy, etc.?

If as a result of such policy means 90% of immigrants come from China, Europe, and India, so be it.

What do you think?
Absolutely yes. A school system near where we live is inundated with students that have no education and many, if not most, speak absolutely no English

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
might as well, obama wants to adopt Australia gun laws too.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
You have obviously never been to Southern California.
But most of those people are illegal though, right?

A coworker's boyfriend is from India. He is working as part of his school visa. Even though he is finishing his PhD and speaks English fluently, there is no guarantee he can get a full work visa because everything is a lottery system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies