Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 01:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,908 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the country and here is what I noticed.

When I lived in South Carolina it was comically easy to get guns. Walmart could give you fully automatic weapons at one point (not sure if its still true). Gun shows gave them out without checks easily.

Gun deaths were high (state was #2 for violent crime). I had a friend get shot by a druggie homeless guy and almost bleed to death. I was also once drinking beers with buddies once in a garage before I turned 21 (was in college). My friend claimed he saw a guy run past and we all laughed and said who cares. Minutes later cops pulled up and we hid the booze. Later turns out the "guy" my friend saw had just robbed a bank and pointed his gun at others on the street at gunpoint. The police stormed past with guns drawn much to my horror.

I also lived in NJ, NC, NY, and now CA. In NC I worked in a hospital where people were always coming in for shooting themselves in the leg while drunk.

In CA, NY, NJ its much better. Sure there's crazies in San Bernardino and shootings where I live but on average I feel much safer wandering around here at night than in the South. Its nice not to have every mentally impaired drunk on a Saturday night armed. Ive been to shadier places in these states at night with friends (the Bronx, Brooklyn, the tenderloin in SF, Newark), and noone was robbed at gunpoint. Criminals do get guns but for the most part
shoot other criminals. There are less 4 am calls of drunk morons shooting themselves or gun assisted robberies on random people walking down the street.

That right wing argument that personal guns will prevent you from government oppression are comical. Just try fighting off US marines or SWAT teams with your crappy purchased guns and see how that goes.

The 2nd ammendment says right to form a state militia. That could indeed keep the government in check. Keep the guns locked up in a compound, train people to use them and only bring them out when necessary.

Im all for keeping guns in your house with a permit. Concealed carry however likely causes more harm than good. Wait periods for all guns and bans on semi-auto and automatic weapons (outside militia holding centers) are also probably for the best.

We have 10x the gun deaths of other western nations, wonder why?

Last edited by njbiodude; 12-07-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
A militia by definition means more than one person, I made it simple for you, stick to that.
What are you on about with gun access? I have access to many guns and the 2nd An does not make any mention of numbers of guns, period.

There was a reason they used persons, instead of people.

Individuals......

Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
mentally ill people, especially those with a propensity to harm others, should not be allowed to own firearms, but that restriction should only happen AFTER they have been adjudicated as being mentally defective.

If they are that much of a threat, why are they allowed to be in a free society. Take their freedom, not mine.

LOCK THEM UP!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
In fact most Americans agree: None.

From Gallup:
Less Than Half of Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws

Old 12-07-2015, 09:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

When I lived in South Carolina it was comically easy to get guns. Walmart could give you fully automatic weapons at one point (not sure if its still true). Gun shows gave them out without checks easily.

Gun deaths were high (state was #2 for violent crime). I had a friend get shot by a druggie homeless guy and almost bleed to death. I was also once drinking beers with buddies once in a garage before I turned 21 (was in college). My friend claimed he saw a guy run past and we all laughed and said who cares. Minutes later cops pulled up and we hid the booze. Later turns out the "guy" my friend saw had just robbed a bank and pointed his gun at others on the street at gunpoint. The police stormed past with guns drawn much to my horror.

I also lived in NJ, NC, NY, and now CA. In NC I worked in a hospital where people were always coming in for shooting themselves in the leg while drunk.

In CA, NY, NJ its much better. Sure there's crazies in San Bernardino and shootings where I live but on average I feel much safer wandering around here at night than in the South. Its nice not to have every mentally impaired drunk on a Saturday night armed. Ive been to shadier places in these states at night with friends (the Bronx, Brooklyn, the tenderloin in SF, Newark), and noone was robbed at gunpoint. Criminals do get guns but for the most part
shoot other criminals. There are less 4 am calls of drunk morons shooting themselves or gun assisted robberies on random people walking down the street.

That right wing argument that personal guns will prevent you from government oppression are comical. Just try fighting off US marines or SWAT teams with your crappy purchased guns and see how that goes.

The 2nd ammendment says right to form a state militia. That could indeed keep the government in check. Keep the guns locked up in a compound, train people to use them and only bring them out when necessary.

Im all for keeping guns in your house with a permit. Concealed carry however likely causes more harm than good. Wait periods for all guns and bans on semi-auto and automatic weapons (outside militia holding centers) are also probably for the best.

You are full of it, what a load of b.s. People haven't been able to just walk in and buy a full auto weapon since the National Firearms Act of 1934. After starting out with such an outright lie you expect anyone to believe you?

EVERY time a state has enacted concealed carry laws that allow more people to carry crime has gone down. I suppose to you that is more harm than good

We don't have 10x the "gun deaths" of other countries, outside of a few of your liberal craphole cities most of the US is safer than other western nations, especially the UK that has 5x as much violent crime.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Ive been to shadier places in these states at night with friends (the Bronx, Brooklyn, the tenderloin in SF, Newark), and noone was robbed at gunpoint.
The Tenderloin? What a mild innocuous couple of blocks down the hill. Are you serious?

http://spotcrime.com/ny/brooklyn

Old 12-07-2015, 09:39 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
For those hooked up about "if you want to have...join the state's militia", please read the first two pages (at least) of

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.amc&cad=rja

of what the USSC said about militias.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:39 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
How about people who live in multi-family dwellings and share walls with others? To me that is just basic safety.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:

This is why we have stringent laws against mind altering drugs. Full auto Walmart weapons. That sounds bad. COUGH

Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:

well i can tell you that this statement is a complete LIE. full auto weapons are not legal to sell except to FFL holders, so they are NOT available over the counter at walmart.

second unless you bought from a private party, background checks, even at gun shows are REQUIRED, as well as filling out form 4473.

Quote:
swat teams are allowed to go after civilians, but the military is not by law, read up on the posse cumitatis act.

Quote:
once again you fail to understand the second amendment. it acknowledges that a well ordered militia is necessary to the security of a free state, but it also notes that the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not to be infringed.

Quote:

more infringement on your part. as for concealed carry, it as bee proven to reduce crime. wait periods are an infringement, and if i buy a firearm, i dont want to have to go down to some center if i need to use that firearm. i dont want to have to tell a criminal, please wait until i get my gun from the holding center across town, can you come back in 45 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies