Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Hilarious that the demands are for Black American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American (even Caribbean and African in certain cases), yet somehow this is chalked up to only "black" demands.

Do you people read?

Anyway, they'll grow up and get over it. You're there to get the education and go. As far as Black Americans are concerned, many seem to seek too much acceptance from and integration into greater American society, imho. It's better to remain more insular and keep your culture tight and among yourselves to a significant degree.
That depends on "culture". A German of Nigerian family has MORE in common with other Germans who are usually "white" than with a typical American Black person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I do know the following:

Income-eligible adults with food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults without food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Exacerbated by this fact... 59% of families on food stamps simultaneously get benefits from 2 or more major free food programs for the exact same daily meals. That fact published by the USDA OIG.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

All info provided by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government is enabling obesity and therefore causing the subsequent obesity-related health issues that cost taxpayers a fortune in Medicaid.

So, tax the productive to overfeed the poor and then pay for their inevitable subsequent obesity-related health issues? How sick and twisted is that?

Again, I do not know what goes on in everyone's household. I realize there are some milking the government for all it's worth. Anytime you have a program that is meant to help those in need, there will be shysters abusing it, however you spamming w/ the web w/ this information that you copied and pasted does not negate the fact that there are many families who DO need the service. Also, the children born into the situation had no say in the matter so why punish them?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
This is the problem that I have with white people, they believe that every black person should take the heat for one black persons actions. Never mind the fact that I've never never used a gun on anyone, robbed a bank, or did any illegal drug. I'm responsible dr what a black person does in Baltimore or Detroit. Miss me with that.
Hey now! I'm white, and that bothers me too when other white people do that.

There are tons of relatively successful black people out there, and way too many people don't even notice.

That being said, I don't think that black students should get free tuition, because honestly, that kind of talk just reeks of entitlement and exploiting legitimate grievances for personal gain. Plus, it stokes racial division.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The part I don't get is this: Are you saying Black Lives DON'T matter? I don't here them saying "only" black lives matter, I hear them saying Black Lives matter "too". Somewhat understandable when police are arresting them at higher rates, stopping them at higher rates, interrogating them for "being out on the corner" and in some cases killing them. Then you have the BLdM group trying to say they are just cop haters, but after all of that, you find out that the cops were suppressing evidence, and that they shoot a guy 16 times while he's walking away, or that they strangle a guy for selling loose cigarettes (clearly a crime, but not one punishable by death without a trial).

Some of you people get so afraid when all these people want is an equal chance. Go to an inner-city school, and try to find one (JUST ONE) elementary kid in a random class who has not lost someone to murder, or to a lifetime of prison, and then tell us all how equal everything is....
We're talking about college kids.

I didn't hear that protest, I heard this one (Dartmouth):

Quote:
Protesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: “**** you, you filthy white ****s!” “**** you and your comfort!” “**** you, you racist ****s!”
#BlackLivesMatter Protesters Disrupt Students in Library:

Quote:
Sorry for the rant. Just answer me this. Do YOU think Black Lives Matter? And if your answer is yes, why do you have a problem with someone exercising their constitutional right to say so?
See the above protest at Dartmouth.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

There are tons of relatively successful black people out there, and way too many people don't even notice.

That being said, I don't think that black students should get free tuition, because honestly, that kind of talk just reeks of entitlement and exploiting legitimate grievances for personal gain. Plus, it stokes racial division.
Agreed and at what point does the "Black" drop out? I'm talking about anglo white people with Black grandparent and so on. Too; there are quite a few Black people who's ancestors came to the US as "free".

Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

It does and I'm not agreeing with it either UNLESS it's a scholarship of some sort, but it should not be the default. This is a small group on a college campus and they do not represent the entire black race anymore than the KKK represents the entire white race.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Yeah just another group that wants something for nothing. So do I. Where do I sign up for free stuff?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Again, I do not know what goes on in everyone's household. I realize there are some milking the government for all it's worth. Anytime you have a program that is meant to help those in need, there will be shysters abusing it, however you spamming w/ the web w/ this information that you copied and pasted does not negate the fact that there are many families who DO need the service. Also, the children born into the situation had no say in the matter so why punish them?
No one is saying punish children. They get free meals at school. Simply reduce a household's SNAP benefits accordingly to reflect those free school meals and eliminate the SNAP adults' ability to overeat and become obese.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That depends on "culture". A German of Nigerian family has MORE in common with other Germans who are usually "white" than with a typical American Black person.
We're speaking about the American context. However, the vast majority of Nigerians maintain cultural ties and the first-generation born elsewhere tend to grew up close to their Nigerian culture, despite the commonalities shared with others.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Establish an Asian American Studies department with the above privileges.

a. Asian American Studies is distinct from the existing Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (AMES) program in its focus on the history, culture, and experiences of the Asian diaspora in the Americas. It is closely related other Ethnic Studies disciplines, such as AAAS, LALACS, and NAS, and is recognized as a distinct academic discipline

i. (Association for Asian American Studies: Association for Asian American Studies | Advancing excellence in teaching and research).

b. At Dartmouth, 81 percent of Pan Asian students self-identify as Asian American, yet the College still does not have an academic program or coursework focused on the Asian American experience. Many other comparable institutions of higher learning have a formal Asian American Studies department.

3. Increase the number of courses on South Asia and the Middle East within the existing AMES program, which is currently skewed towards courses on East Asia.

a. Include more AMES courses related to all spheres of study, such as courses on economics, politics, and contemporary society. The focus of many AMES courses now is still Orientalist topics like ancient culture and religion.

4. Establish Korean and Hindi-Urdu language programs within the Asian and Middle Eastern Languages and Literatures (AMELL) department. Dartmouth is the only Ivy League institution without Korean and Hindi-Urdu language courses.

5. Increase the number of Asian faculty hires in AMES and AMELL to teach language, literature, and culture classes. A majority of AMES and AMELL professors are not Asian; in higher education, we need multiple perspectives, and in the AMES and AMELL faculty, we lack the perspective of the very cultural groups we are studying.

That's Asian involvement, not just a footnote. Sorry.

What kind of job/career can one get after taking all these courses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess I'm looking forward to when they graduate, get jobs and demand the same from their employers.
I think I found out why young adults are not getting real jobs after college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies